Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

G.E. Wingfield-Stratford

Chris_Baker

Captain G.E. Wingfield-Stratford was the Adjutant of the 6th Royal West Kents when they landed in France on 1 June 1915. He had a long military career, and is known to have been serving as a Lieutenant Colonel as late as 1933.

I have quite a bit of info on his career, gleaned from the London Gazette etc, but wondered if any forum pals knew anything about this man? For example, I have not been able to determine any family details. Any photos or references in books would be just great too.

These were the only Wingfield-Stratford's on the 1901 census and although not a G.E. amongst them there was a military family residing in Devon (with Kent connections) ...

Cicl Wingfield-Stratford aged 47 born Addington Kent, living Harford Entire, Devon. Lieut Colonel Royal Enginers

Easna Wingfield-Stratford 18 born Marylebone London, living Harford Entire. Under Graduate Cambridge

Rosalind Wingfield-Stratford 7 born Freshwater I Of Wight, living Harford Entire

Rosalind Wingfield-Stratford 43 born Marylebone London, living Harford Entire

I presume those first two christian names are Cecil and Edna??

You could try contacting the West Kent's museum at Maidstone.

There is a further reference to the family name in Who's Who 1947 regarding Esme Cecil Wingfield-Stratford who was an author born 1882 son of Brig Gen C.V.

Wingfield-Stratford.

I don't know the fictional works of Alan Thomas, but he wrote an excellent memoir of his service as an officer on the 6th RWK entitled A Life Apart. He arrived in late 1916, when the Adjutant was Alderman, an ex-ranker veteran of the Boer War. I can find no mention of Wingfield-Stratford, so he must have left 6 RWK before Thomas's arrival, as he writes vivid charachter portraits of his fellow officers, and a number of the men. I can recommend A Life Apart to anyone interested in the battalion, particularly its part in the Battle of Arras, or simply as an honest, fluent account of one man's war.

Interesting. Alderman relieved Wingfield-Stratford as Adjutant in late 1916, so presumably Alan Thomas came in at much the same time.

Thanks Jon. A most useful link. I did not know about his CdG. How did you find that?

It seems my man went to become a GSO3 in late 1916. The regimental history says he went to the staff of 12th (Eastern) Division, but I reckon he went to one of its Brigades, possibly the 37th Brigade. I base this on the fact that he was appointed a Brigade Major. Can anyone please confirm this?

Chris,

If you click the green underlined "Queens Own .." near the top of the page of that link, it takes you to the previous page, which has a section Honours and Awards.

Jon