Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Kings Shropshire Light Infantry

Annette Burgoyne

J W Jones' DCM entry is here:

LG 22-10-1917

6392 Cpl. (A./Sjt.) J. W. Jones, Shrops. L. I. ("E" Shrewsbury)

http://www.gazettes-online.co.uk/archiveVi...;selHonourType=

His citation is here:

LG 26-1-1918

6392 Cpl. (A./.Sjt.) J. W. Jones, Shrops. L.I. ("E." Shrewsbury).

For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty when in charge of a party carrying stores to the front line. After his guide had been wounded he pushed on through an intense barrage. Though buried on two occasions and losing the majority of his party, he eventually completed his task, carrying a great part of the stores which had been dropped by casualties. It was entirely owing to his determination and splendid example that very urgent stores were got forward.

http://www.gazettes-online.co.uk/archiveVi...;selHonourType=

Steve.

Thank you very much Steve, I seemed to have looked at every page in the Gazette but not found it. Very much appreciated. :)

Mate,

This may or may not interest you but I have a few of your men in the Camel Corps.

Any details on these men would be helpfull also.

Barron E 230683 Pte 6Co Ex 10 Kings Shropshire Lt Inf shell wound to back

Cottrell George 50513 Pte 6Co Ex Cheshire Yeo (299) and Shropshire LI (225617) to Royal Engineers WR/194282)

Davies William Thomas Lt 10Co Ex Sgt Shropshire Yeo (1374) and Lt Kings West Surrey Rgt to Kings Shropshire LI

Jones John William 2/Lt 10Co 5-18 Ex Kings Shropshire Lt Inf

Matthews Harold 50543 Pte Ex Shropshire Lt Inf (2210) and Hussars

Pettit Hubert Ronald Capt OC 6Co 8-16 to -17 to T/Maj Ex 10 2/Lt Shropshire Lt Inf and Shropshire Yeo gsw L/leg

Quale Leonard H 50561 Pte Ex Cheshire Yeo (761) and Shropshire Lt Inf (230610) to Royal Engineers (WR/193492)

Quilliam Thomas Carson 230961 Pte Ex Cheshire Yeo (1700) to 10Bn Kings Shropshire Lt Inf (230091) buried Cairo War Cemetery

Rutter A 230542 CQMS Ex Shropshire Lt Inf see (50507)

These are the only ones I have found as yet if you of any more I would like to know.

Cheers

S.B

Hi Steve

I thought I sent you info. on K.S.L.I. men who were also in Camel Corps some time ago ? then again with me being a bit skatty brained may be I forgot to send the info. to you. I'll go through database and see what I have, also I know I have a couple from Absent Voters Lists for South Shropshire.

Annette

I have a couple of queries regarding KSLI. My dad felt his Dad J W Jones was Welsh. this is because he used to sing Welsh songs. Was it usual for recruits to join from the local area or from farther afield?

My grandfathers background is very murky, none of his children know where he actually came from. Would there be any way of finding more info for instance date of birth etc etc. I have his death cert which shows he died in 1955 aged 60. So he would have been born in 1895 or 1894. I have all the birth records for around that time, however as you can imagine there are lots of J W Jones's.

Also is the correct title for the regiment The Kings Own Shropshire Light Infantry? Or just Shropshire Light Infantry.

Thanks in advance.

Hello Annette,

I have a few men for your list.

21651 Pte Gordon Mckay 10th Battalion 2nd Company. K.I.A. 10/03/18 Age 23 Palestine. Formerly 1/3029 R.A.S.C. Came from Edinburgh. Entitled to Pair.

29724 Pte Pte George Mckay dont know battalion Formerly 4/76010 T.R.Battalion. Entitled to Pair.

32336 Pte Andrew Mckay dont know battalion Formerly S/25788 Cameron Highlanders Later returned to Camerons. Entitled to Pair.

32568 Pte Leonard A. Mckay dont know battalion. Later D/22672 C. of D. Entitled to Pair.

35833 Pte Thomas Mckay 4th Battalion K.I.A. 19/04/18 Formerly 4/17480 T.R.Battalion. Entitled to Pair.

43294 Pte John E. Mckay dont know battalion. Later 69290 Cheshire Regiment. Entitled to Pair.

2/Lieutenant William Boyne Mackay dont know battalion. Wounded 31/05/18. M.M. 18/06/17. Promoted from L/Sgt 265343 (Form 1574) 6th Battalion Seaforths 18/12/17. Entitled to T.F.W.M. & Pair.

I hope this is of some use to you.

If you know any more about any of these men I would be pleased to hear from you.

Ken.

Hi Mick

Pre war the Shropshires apart from recruiting in Shropshire, also recruited in Herefordshire, Radnorshire, Manchester, Birmingham, Blackburn & London to name a few.

Would there be any way of finding more info for instance date of birth etc etc.
if you are lucky and his sevice papers may have survived the 2nd World War but I believe only about 30% did. If you have not already done so then a visit to NA at Kew is needed or maybe ask if any of the forum members are going and willing to do a look up. I guess J W Jones would be very hard to find in birth index or I mean it would be hard to know which is your J W Jones.

The correct title for the regiment is The Kings Shropshire Light Infantry there is no Own in the title.

Hi Ken

Thanks for list, I do have all their names (except for the officers) but only have details on the two who were killed, I still have three or four volumes of the medal roll to go through yet.

I can give you details of where the two who died were killed but that's all sorry.

Annette

Hi Anne . Another for your database.

19186, Pte Robert Henry Millichope “A” Coy 1st Bn KSLI

Awarded Victory and British war medals.

Almost certainly captured on 21st March 1918 near Noreuil where ( as I’m sure you know) the battalion was cut off and virtually annihilated in the first phase of the Luddendorff Offensive.

Died 15/5/18 and buried in Ontario Cemetery, Sains-les-Marquion. The cemetery notes say that all British servicemen buried there came from various smaller German graveyards in the area. My best guess is he was held prisoner in the area, made to work locally and later succumbed to something like dysentery, pneumonia, or flu. It is also possible he died of wounds but Richard Emden’s excellent book “Prisoners of the Kaiser” makes me lean towards the neglect/malnutrition/disease theory.

I’m still researching what may have happened.

Hi David

Yes I agree, I think he is most likely to have dead of disease or malnutrition. Most of the Battalion's loses were P.O.W.'s or wounded, I can only find 56 that were killed over the 21st & 22nd.

I would be interested if you ever find out what happened to him.

Annette

Hallo Annette,

Yet another request about Pte. L.J.Meek. As you know he transferred from the Herefords to the KSLI then on to the 11th Bat. Border Regiment in September 1916. From his Regimental number '20520' is it possible to know when he joined the Shropshires (not sure which Battalion), and could he have seen any action before he joined the Borderers?

Dennis.

Hi Annette and Dennis

I just noticed your posts and shall just mention a couple of things which may help. As you know Dennis there were a number of men from the 3/1st Battalion Herefordshire Regiment who were transferred to the KSLI at some point and then on to the 11th Borderers in September 1916. I believe this was probably around the 20th Sep. I know that there were also men who served in Gallipoli who had been with the 1st/1st, transferred to the 11th Borders and I would have thought that they would have joined their new regiments at the same time as the men from the 1st/3rd. The men from the 1st/1st were probably the ones who had returned home after being injured at Gallipoli in 1915 as the 1st/1st Bn. Herefords went from Gallipoli to Egypt, arriving at Alexandria 22nd December 1915 and remaining in the Middle East until June 1918.

I realise that this does not answer the question of exactly when Pte Meek transferred to the KSLI but I do not believe that he would have seen action with the KSLI. What do you think Annette?

I am always on the lookout to clarify the dates of the transfer of these men and I will let you know if I come up with any new information.

Myrtle

Hallo Myrtle,

Thanks for your reply, actually it raises another interesting point. Did my wife's step-father take part in the battle of Redan Ridge.

He was Private 20627 Charles Pepper of the Border Regiment and took part in the Gallipoli Campaign. As one of the survivors he was then moved to France. During one of the attacks by the Borderers there he was badly injured and was captured by the Germans, after recovery spending the rest of the war as a Prisoner of War. We always assumed he was injured on or about 1st July 1916. Could it have been later, say November 18th? I shall have to check on this.

Regards,

Dennis

Hello Dennis

Interesting that your wife's stepfather was with the Lonsdales. Spike 10764, one of the pals here has a very good site about the 11th Borders. LONSDALES

Spike may be able to help but then from the look of the site you appear to have already found him :D

Myrtle

Myrtle,

Whoops. I may have given a wrong impression. My wife's stepfather was in the Border Regiment but not to my knowledge necessarily in the 11th battalion, or do you know something that I don't?

Dennis

Dennis

Are there any other Border Battalions ? :blink:

Seriously I was just being blinkered for a moment. I am sure there is someone out there who knows about the Border Regimental numbering.

Myrtle

Ooops, sorry. Just noticed I called you Anne and not Annettte. Doh

No worries David, I answer to Anne, Netty and other names <_<

I realise that this does not answer the question of exactly when Pte Meek transferred to the KSLI but I do not believe that he would have seen action with the KSLI. What do you think Annette

That was one of things I was going to ask you Myrtle, I also do not think they saw action with the K.S.L.I., I think it may have only been a paper transfer- from Herefords to Shropshires ?

Annette

Hello Annette

I also wondered about a "paper transfer" but I have also wondered about the possibility that the Hereford men completed some training with the KSLI. I hope to check this at some point. Remember the Herefordshire Regiment's reputation was not too good following their dreadful experiences of November 1915. This may have influenced the authorities back home to ensure that the transferred Hereford men appeared from another regiment e.g. the KSLI.

Myrtle

Hi Myrtle

but I have also wondered about the possibility that the Hereford men completed some training with the KSLI. I hope to check this at some point. Remember the Herefordshire Regiment's reputation was not too good following their dreadful experiences of November 1915.

This is a interesting fact, also the first deaths with the Border Regt. was November 1916, which could mean that they did go back to training or on home duties ? Have you looked at any of these mens medal roll entries, just wondering if it would help give us a clue. Wonder if Spike 10764 knows anything about this draft of men.

Annette

Hi Annette

My grandfather Private John Richard Evans joined the Shropshire Yeomanry on 22nd October 1914. Reg. no. 2154. After serving in Egypt in March 1917 he joined the 10th KLSI [reg. no. 230334] . In May 1918 the 10th KSLI were transfered to the western front. I have a card he sent on the 23rd August stating he was a prisinor of war. This may have been during the 2nd battles of the Somme. He was disembodied on 5th March 1919.I have quite a few photos taken during his time in the yeomanry at Lambton Park camp and also in Egypt.

My great uncle Frederick Yapp [private] 23634 was in the 7th Bn. KSLI and killed on the 18th August 1916

A friend of my grandfathers was Lance Corporal Thomas Henry Butcher [230116] 10th KSLI of Church House Milson who was killed on 23rd January 1918 aged 25.

Any information that would help me find out more about grandfathers war would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Eric

Hi Eric

I am fairly sure your grandfather Private John Richard Evans would have been captured on the 22nd August 1918 near the Lys Canal. I'll get back to you tomorrow, once I have done some more searching.

By the way, you must be related to a chap from Cleobury who is working on Kinlets memorial because his wife is related to Frederick Yapp, which reminds me that I must contact him :D

Annette

Annette

I have checked for service records for some of these Hereford men but have not found any yet. Remember the bulk of the transfers were made up of 3rd/1st Herefordshire men who hadn't served overseas.

Eric

Was Frederick Yapp related to Charles Yapp who died with the Herefordshire Regiment 8th November 1917 ?

Myrtle

Hi Annette,

Chap from Cleobury is Steve my brother-in-law.

Two more boys from the KSLI

Private Robert Cleeton [45397]

4th Res Bn? KSLI

Died 12-11-1918

Buried Hopton Wafers

Private Harry Yapp [21345]

1st KSLI

Killed 22-3-1918

Myrtle,

Don't know if Frederick & Charles were related will try & find out foryou.

Eric

Here are some facts about Charles which may help determine if he was related to Frederick and Harry.

Charles Yapp was 30 years old when he died of wounds 8th November 1917 with the 14th Glos. Regiment to which he had been transferred from the Herefords. He lived at 63, Whitecross St. Hereford when he enlisted and his mother and father, Samuel and Elizabeth Yapp lived at King's Heath, Birmingham and his wife Elsie Yapp lived at 104, Cotterell St., Hereford according to CWGC.

I have also come across another man with the same surname in the Herefordshire area; in 1914 Bombardier H. Yapp who was from Ocle Green, Ocle Pychard, Herefordshire was with the 6th (?) Battery RFA.

Regards

Myrtle

Hi Myrtle

Remember the bulk of the transfers were made up of 3rd/1st Herefordshire men who hadn't served overseas.

Once I get around to it Myrtle I will send you my list of men, for you to look over. Also I have not forgot about the info. on the 7/K.S.L.I. attack on 27-9-18, I have conflicting information, and I am still looking to find out which is correct (I may have to make a post on the forum).

Hi Eric

Say hi to Steve and tell him I will contact him once I find his email again (I did find before my trip to Ypres a few weeks ago but it as since disappeared under paper work :( . It fact he sould join the forum himself, as he may find the help he wants, there are lots of experts.

I have Robert Cleeton & Harry Yapp in my records. I take it that Harry and Frederick were related, both being born at Farlow. Harry was killed opposite Queant. Robert Cleeton never made it overseas and may have died of the flu or some sort of outbreak because seven men of the 4th Reserve Battalion with numbers close to Roberts died within a two month period. Roberts is recorded in the Absent Voters Lists as residing at 6 Watsall.

Annette

• 2 weeks later...

Hallo Myrtle,

Just noted your post. Am I allowed to ask what happened with the Hereford Regiment in November 1915?

Perhaps a reply by PM might be preferable.

Dennis

Hi Annette,

Have you any information on Richard John Bishop,I recently found his grave in Shrewsbury cemetery,Richard John Bishop 7277 private KSLI died 5/2/1917 age 35,He is also on the war memorial at St Micheal's church,Shrewsbury,thankyou Joanne