Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Annette Burgoyne

Kings Shropshire Light Infantry

kenf48
13 hours ago, John Dunn said:

Questions requiring answers

Medals were sent by registered post to the next of kin, if they were returned undelivered this was noted on the Medal Rolls.  There is no such note on either Roll, therefore they were received.  His gratuity as shown on soldiers effects was divided between his brother and sisters. They may have gone to  his parents as shown on CWGC, often the medals were similarly split amongst family members.

The Brigade war diary shows the 5th KSLI was attached to 7th Sherwood Foresters 139 Brigade 46th (North Midland) Division on the 6th June for training.   Unfortunately I can’t find a trench map (28 SW1) with the trenches shown in 1915. This map is from 1916

https://maps.nls.uk/view/101464939. In any event we don’t know which Company of the Sherwoods he was attached to.

As to how he was killed we are unlikely to know, while soldiers had a death certificate it usually states ‘killed in France’/ ‘action’.  The fact two men from the same Company were wounded perhaps suggests it may have been a blast injury.  The daily attrition of trench warfare.

Ken

John Dunn

Hi Ken

Thank you very much for this information which will allow me to progress a little further with this history.

Regards

John Dunn

Brownie

Hello, wondering if anyone can help me find info on a relative of mine, William Thomas Page, my great-uncle. According to his MIC, he was a private in the 7th Bttn KSLI. His regimental number was 14609. He was killed on the Somme on 14/7/1916. He is commemorated on the Thiepval memorial. He was born in Much Wenlock and worked or lived in Wroxeter. That’s about as much as I know, so if anyone has more info that would be great. I don’t have a photo of him, so a picture of him or his unit would be brilliant.

Thanks,

Phil

kenf48
24 minutes ago, Brownie said:

Hello, wondering if anyone can help me find info on a relative of mine, William Thomas Page, my great-uncle. According to his MIC, he was a private in the 7th Bttn KSLI. His regimental number was 14609. He was killed on the Somme on 14/7/1916. He is commemorated on the Thiepval memorial. He was born in Much Wenlock and worked or lived in Wroxeter. That’s about as much as I know, so if anyone has more info that would be great. I don’t have a photo of him, so a picture of him or his unit would be brilliant.

Thanks,

Phil

He attested at Ironbridge on or around the 24th September 1914.  This was a recruitment surge prompted by newspaper/propaganda reports of the 'Rape of Belgium'. He went overseas and joined the B.E.F. with the main body of the Battalion on the 28th September 1915.

There were 147 men killed in the attack on the 14th July , 278 wounded (16 of whom subsequently died), the action is recorded as the Battle of Bazentin Ridge

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Bazentin_Ridge

Ken

Brownie

Thanks Ken, I’ll follow the link.

Phil

Mark1959

His will exists. Note this may just be a few scribbled notes in his paybook. Downloadable from here

He was admitted to 51 Field Ambulance on 8/3/16 suffering from Trench Feet. They moved him on to the 17th Casualty Clearing Station. To learn more about what the 7th did whilst he was with them you can read the War Diary on ancestry or download it from

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C7352075

His widow Emily (nee Francis) received a pension. She seemed to move to Lancs and the back of his medal card suggests she re-married and became a Mrs Rowley living in Burnley. WTP and Emily married in Much Wenlock on 16/2/15

Probably the W Page on the plaque here https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/249831/

Edited by Mark1959

Brownie

Thanks Mark, I’ve just ordered the will. I noticed the name on the MIC, which was a little confusing, but that makes sense now.

Cheers, 

Phil

Mark1959

There is a Pension widows card for Emily as well on fold3, adds nothing significant to what we already know. Gives another address in Lancs.

Brownie

Mark, WTP’s will has arrived. As you say, just a scribbled note really, but it does give his home address at the time, which I hadn’t got so that’s a plus.

Also, the local newspaper, the Wellington Journal, carried pictures in their 22nd Dec 1917 issue, of men from Shropshire killed in the War. His name is mentioned in the tag, so I think a trip to the archives is required in the hope of finding microfilm/original version.

Thanks again,

Phil

Mark1959

Good. The Wellington Journal has editions in the British Newspaper Archive. However, only up to 1909. So do not bother with that source for getting a 1917 issue. 

Brownie

Yes, I just discovered that! The ShropshireArchives site says microfilm of the relevant issue is held at Telford, with (possibility) originals held at Shrewsbury. I’ll contact both sites next week to confirm and book an appointment.

Phil

WDavidW

Hi, I have learned that my father, born in 1920, enlisted into the K. S. L. I., as a boy soldier, aged 14, in 1932. He went on to serve for 2 years and 155 days, prior to being discharged,due to being unfit for service.

Anyone else who has knowledge of "boy" soldiers, I would love to hear from you.,

Thanks in advance,

David.

WDavidW

Oops! Sorry put wrong enlistment year,should be 1934. Thanks!

ss002d6252
6 minutes ago, WDavidW said:

Oops! Sorry put wrong enlistment year,should be 1934. Thanks!

Outside of our forum's time period I'm afraid.

Craig

Paulwms01

Hi. I am looking for any information (and photograph) on Corporal  Oscar Bassett Tanner MM 27341.He was killed in action on 14th April 1918. Born in Tillingdon, Monmouthshire in 1887. Oscar joined the 16th (Cardiff City) Battalion of the Welsh Regiment on the 11th November 1915 and served in France until the 16th Welsh were disbanded in February 1918. He joined the Shropshire Light Infantry on 3rd April 1918 and was killed 11 days later. He won his Military Medal with the Welsh Regiment.