Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Kings Shropshire Light Infantry

Annette Burgoyne

Hi Eric

I have info. about a project to get copies of the Ludlow Advertiser for the war years. I will ask the chap who told me about this, how far away this project is from starting.

Annette

Hi Annette

I have a Jabez Ball Pte 19049 on a local memorial and he is mentioned in the paperwork linked to the memorial within the archive,but I cant find him on CWGC or SDGW. Do you have anything on him?

Regards Doug.

Hi Doug

I do not have much on him, I too have not come across him in SD or CWGC. He is reported wounded in the Wellington & Shrewsbury Journal on 16/12/16. I do not have his medal roll entries yet, so do not know his battalion but going by the date of the paper and the fact that there are several 7th Battalion near his number, I would guess he was 7th K.S.L.I. and wounded on 13th November 1916 at Serre. The paper also as Wormbridge in brackets. No sure when I will be getting his medal roll entry, I plan to go to Kew in April or May, I will try to remember to get his section of the rolls.

Annette

Hi Annette

Thank you very much for the information.

Regards Doug.

• 2 weeks later...

Sgt Richard William Carter. KSLI was wounded in France but survived the war. Was born at Oswestry and lived at Shrewsbury, Shropshire after the war. Married to Florence Emily nee: Dalton. She died in 1934 and he died in a Veteran's Home in 1966.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Chris Carter

Hi Chris

I have already passed on whot I know in your other.

Annette

Could any one help me with a bit of info. Firstly I am searching my family history and have found that 2 ancestors died during the first world war and iam trying to find out the circumstances and area where they fought . The details are as follows:-

12206 Pte John W Skitt 6th Btn KSLI Died of wounds 14/10/15. I have his medal card which says that he went into theatre 24/07/15 France. I am not sure which battle he was in or what injuries he sustained. He is buried in Estaires communal cemetery in France. John was from Madeley/Coalbrookdale area of Shropshire.

239277 L/Cpl Sampson Holloway 4th Btn KSLI Died 13/11/18 in Pembroke, Wales. A bit of confusion with this one. He was originally Herefordshire Regt. His headstone is inscribed with Herf Regt capbadge and correctly labelled as LCpl. His medal card has him down as a Pte and the CWGC has him as LCPL in KSLI.

My uncle has the original roll of honour about him but all it says is that he was wounded twice in France and later died of Pneumonia. On his medal card it shows nothing about him being in France. Sampson was from Priorslee area of Shropshire.

It would be appreciated if anyone can help me in finding out a bit more about these very brave individuals so I can pass on a bit of history to my children about their forefathers and what they did. Thanks in advance to anyone that can help me.

Kindest Regards

Chris

Hi chris5li

The 6th Battalion were in trenches near Neuve Chapelle at this time, the line they held ran from the Sunken Road to map ref. M.29.d.80.95., I will post map once I find it. Estaires is not far from the line they held, so I would guess Pte. Skitt was wounded sometime during the two tour before his death. These ran from 28th Sept. to 3rd Oct. and 8th to 14th Oct. Seven men were wounded during the first + nine suffering from gas and twenty-two wounded + two gassed during second. But we can't rule out him being wounded before this date, when the Battalion hold the line a little more to the left between the Winchester Road and Fauquissart.

I have three other Skitt's in my records :-

34975 Pte. Skitt, Arthur, Resided 156 Sulthouse Rd., Jackfield. Battalion not yet known. Info. from M.I.C. & Absent Voters Lists 1918.

200310 Pte. Skitt, Walter Edwin, Resided 7 Finny Fold, Dawley. 1/4/K.S.L.I. Also had No. 1733. Info. from M.I.C. & Absent Voters Lists 1918.

200596 Pte. Skitt, Walter, Resided 55 Wesley Rd., Ironbridge. 1/4/K.S.L.I. Also had No. 2154. Info. from M.I.C. & Absent Voters Lists 1918.

L/Cpl Sampson Holloway, was attached to the 1st/4th K.S.L.I., so he was still Herefordshire Regiment. I do not have his medal roll entry so can not say for sure but I would say C.W.G.C. is correct and he was a L/Cpl. at time of his death. Absent Voters records him at 71 Haybridge, Wellington.

Annette

PS I did a book on the 6th Battalion, if you want a copy from Library ISBN is 1 903360 02 1, if you want your own copy see Tom Morgan's Hellfirecorn

Thanks Annette. That info has given me a better insight. If you find anything else then it would be great. Thanks for your speedy reply. Keep up the good work. a map of the area would be great. Further to Sampson Holloway, My uncle gave me a photo of him with a newspaper cutting taken a few years after the war. The photo was taken whilst he was on leave from france with his family. It stated that he had been wounded twice, the latter meaning he was sent back to Pembroke, I think the Btn were stationed there then, but I'm not sure and he died of pneumonia through complications to his wounds. it doesnt say what the wounds were or how he sustained them. Could he possibly have been at Bligny in June? and received his wounds there. any way a fantastic job you are doing and I hope to hear from you soon.

Take care and god bless,

Chris

Chris

The History of the Herefordshire Regiment does not list L/Cpl Holloway in the Roll of Honour.

The following extract may be of interest to you:

" On 24th July 1917 1st Reserve Battalion the Herefordshire Regiment (originally the 3rd/1st Battalion Herefordshire Regiment) was located at Swansea where it was linked with 4th Reserve Battalion KSLI, which prior to 1916 had been 3rd/4th Battalion KSLI. The two units were to almalgamate as 4th(Reserve) Battalion KSLI under the command of Lt.Col. R.H.T. Symonds-Taylor.

The amalgamation was complete by November 1917 and by January 1918, 4th (Reserve) Battalion KSLI had moved to Pembroke Dock to join the Milford Haven defences, but it continued to belong to the Welsh Reserve Brigade. Presumably this move was necessary to replace 3rd(Special Reserve) Battalion KSLI (late the Shropshire Militia) which in December 1917 was moved to Queenstown, Ireland, after having been stationed at Pembroke Dock since mobilization.

In April 1918 when the commanding officer was Lt-Col. R.E. Cheyse, the battalion absorbed the details of the 2nd/1st Battalion Herefordshire Regiment and continued to serve at Pembroke Dock until it was disbanded after the Armistice."

Myrtle

Hi Chris

To tie in with Myrtle info.

" On 24th July 1917 1st Reserve Battalion the Herefordshire Regiment (originally the 3rd/1st Battalion Herefordshire Regiment) was located at Swansea where it was linked with 4th Reserve Battalion KSLI, which prior to 1916 had been 3rd/4th Battalion KSLI. The two units were to almalgamate as 4th(Reserve) Battalion KSLI

The earliest dates of death of Herefordshire Regt. lads attached to K.S.L.I. battalions is Austust 1917, except for one chap, 236074 Pte. Weaver, Frederick Concelt, who was killed on the 3rd May 1917. So it is possible he was wounded at Bligny in June 1918. Do you live near Shrewsbury, the research library there holds the Wellington & Shrewsbury Jounal, it is very likely that he is mentioned but you can never guarantee this.

Annette

Hi Chris

Here is map of area where Pte John W Skitt was most probably wounded. You mention having a photo of Sampson Holloway, do you mind letting me have a copy, so I can add it to my database, thanks.

Annette

Sgt Richard William Carter. KSLI was wounded in France but survived the war. Was born at Oswestry and lived at Shrewsbury, Shropshire after the war. Married to Florence Emily nee: Dalton. She died in 1934 and he died in a Veteran's Home in 1966.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Chris Carter

Hello, a little more on my grandfather, William R. Carter reg.#10327 Shrops LI - Lab corps #331649

I am sure I have the right person. On his medal card beside Victory it has "LC/101B114" page "11538"

further down has "14" in front of star then "J/1/4" page"110"

on top of Theatre of War it has "SWBList lc/987

date of entry 10-0-14

Can you supply me with what all that means and any other info you might have.

Thanks

Chris Carter

PS I have learned that he may or may have not been born in Oswestry but lived there and after the war lived at 20 Hafron Closes, The Mount, Shrewsbury, Shropshire

Hi Chris C

On his medal card beside Victory it has "LC/101B114" page "11538"
This means his Victory/British medal entiltment is recorded in the Labour Corps volums, I have been informed that the Labour Corps rolls do not tent to record the battalions which a chap who have served, which is a big pain in the ***.

further down has "14" in front of star then "J/1/4" page"110"

This is the roll that holds his 1914 Star entiltment, its the 1st Battalion K.S.L.I.'s roll, I attach his entry below.

on top of Theatre of War it has "SWBList lc/987

I think this is ref. for his Silver War Badge (I think thats what SWB stands for), I have not yet got around to looking at the SWB lists, a very kind Pal did send me some that they had. Chris try and see if anyone is willing to get you his SWB enrty, I would start a new thread in the wanted section ?

I will give brief details of the 1st K.S.L.I. movements later but it could be a while, I have three other request to do or is it four, I am loseing track of what I said I would do, something to do with my age :unsure:

Annette

Chris here is William R. Carters' 1914 Star medal roll entry

Guest markadams43

Hi Annette,

My name is Mark Adams and I am a former serving officer in the Light Infantry. My Grandfather Captian Geoffrey Bright served in 1/4 KSLI 1914-1918. He was mobilised as a territorial in 1914 and served with the Bn throughout the Great War in France, Flanders and the Far East (Malay States). On 6 June 1918 he personally led the coubnterattack on the Montagne de Bligny (to this day a battle honour of the Light Infantry) and was awarded the Croix De Guerre avec Palme by the French, along with Sgt Fuller DCM and Pte. Poole (stretcher bearer). I have traveeled to Bligny a number of times with both the Regiment and privately. I would love to hear from anyone with ancestors/relatives who served with the 1/4 KSLI, as I am researching the Bn`s war service.

Kind regards,

Mark Adams.

Hi Chris C

This means his Victory/British medal entiltment is recorded in the Labour Corps volums, I have been informed that the Labour Corps rolls do not tent to record the battalions which a chap who have served, which is a big pain in the ***.

This is the roll that holds his 1914 Star entiltment, its the 1st Battalion K.S.L.I.'s roll, I attach his entry below.

I think this is ref. for his Silver War Badge (I think thats what SWB stands for), I have not yet got around to looking at the SWB lists, a very kind Pal did send me some that they had. Chris try and see if anyone is willing to get you his SWB enrty, I would start a new thread in the wanted section ?

I will give brief details of the 1st K.S.L.I. movements later but it could be a while, I have three other request to do or is it four, I am loseing track of what I said I would do, something to do with my age :unsure:

Annette

Hi Mark

Wow, its great to have you on board. The Croix De Guerre was a big honour for the Battalion. I will have to see what I have on the 1st/4th but its not lot, you may be the one adding to my knowledge. A chap from Ludlow may have been with the 1st/4th at Bligny, but I need to check that with his grandson, also I have the names of just over 1400 who served in the Battalion at one time or another, this is not the full roll, I am still working my way through the medal rolls.

I am also building a database of the Officers, do you mind supplying more details about your Grandfather Captian Bright and a photo, I hope to make my databases avaible to everyone via a project the Regimental Muesum is getting involved in, feel free to say no, its a bit cheeky of me to ask.

Annette

Annette,

Are these of any use to you, they come from the Rifle Brigade Territorial Battalions medal rolls.

Andy

post-1871-1172569613.jpg

These come from all Regiments, Londons, Staffs, Cheshires, Norfolks etc etc etc.

post-1871-1172570829.jpg

Thanks Andy, I am very envious, the K.S.L.I. rolls do not give so much detail. If you find any others I would be very greatfull. Did you get the info. I sent the other week.

Annette

Annette

Would it be possible for you to look up on Absent Voters List 1918 and see what info is there on:

William R. Carter KSLI #10327 and later Labour Corps #331649.

Sorry to be a bother but I am getting stuck here.

Thanks

Chris C

List is from Shropshire

Hi Annette. If you check the gallery section of the forums you will see I have upkoaded the pic i have of Sampson Holloway. It's a bit poor so i've started another topic to see if any one has any photos in their collections of my relatives, you never know I might strike lucky. Feel free to download the pic and add it to your data base if you like.

Kindest Regards,

Chris