Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Kings Shropshire Light Infantry

Annette Burgoyne

There is a Pension widows card for Emily as well on fold3, adds nothing significant to what we already know. Gives another address in Lancs.

Mark, WTP’s will has arrived. As you say, just a scribbled note really, but it does give his home address at the time, which I hadn’t got so that’s a plus.

Also, the local newspaper, the Wellington Journal, carried pictures in their 22nd Dec 1917 issue, of men from Shropshire killed in the War. His name is mentioned in the tag, so I think a trip to the archives is required in the hope of finding microfilm/original version.

Thanks again,

Phil

Good. The Wellington Journal has editions in the British Newspaper Archive. However, only up to 1909. So do not bother with that source for getting a 1917 issue. 

Yes, I just discovered that! The ShropshireArchives site says microfilm of the relevant issue is held at Telford, with (possibility) originals held at Shrewsbury. I’ll contact both sites next week to confirm and book an appointment.

Phil

• 2 months later...

Hi. I am looking for any information (and photograph) on Corporal  Oscar Bassett Tanner MM 27341.He was killed in action on 14th April 1918. Born in Tillingdon, Monmouthshire in 1887. Oscar joined the 16th (Cardiff City) Battalion of the Welsh Regiment on the 11th November 1915 and served in France until the 16th Welsh were disbanded in February 1918. He joined the Shropshire Light Infantry on 3rd April 1918 and was killed 11 days later. He won his Military Medal with the Welsh Regiment.

• 1 year later...
On 25/01/2020 at 11:09, Paulwms01 said:

Shropshire Light Infantry

Hi

Welcome to the Forum. He isn't mentioned in the History of the KSLI in the Great War but few other ranks who did not win an award with the regiment were. Do you know which battalion he served (briefly) with?

His medal roll records 1st Battalion KSLI. The roll gives his middle name as Barrett but the regimental number matches that given by Paul.

Screenshot_26.png.0e86fe77348b1ac70efe2d61c8a74764.png

Edited by Bordercollie

• Admin

Paulwms01 has only ever made that one post 12 months ago and never returned to the forum.

The battalion's war diary places them in the front line at Molenaarelsthoek to the east of Ypres on 14th April 1918.  There is a trench map of the relevant area dated December 1917 here. The war diary entry for 14th April describes the situation as quiet and records no casualties. The regimental history describes the front line at this point as an outpost line which was abandoned on the night of 15th/16th April and the battalion withdrew to the Ypres ramparts.  You can download the war diary here for free after registering with the National Archives.

1 hour ago, Michelle Young said:

Paulwms01 has only ever made that one post 12 months ago and never returned to the forum.

I always get confused about which year it is in January.  Thankfully I tend not to write cheques these days and so I am saved from the embarrassment of returned cheques.

• DavidOwen locked and unlocked this topic
  • 4 months later...
4 hours ago, yeo1794 said:

Does anyone have anything on Major John Godfrey Bolle  BOSVILE, Shropshire Light Infantry?

What do you know already, and what would you like to know?

Index to long numbers...

image.png.1c56b6770fb857f1839d6db78cd5e3da.png
Image sourced from the National Archives

The officer (post war) 'P' admin number links to a service file that was in the custody of the MoD, but I understand that they are being moved to the National Archives, and might not be available for some time. Worth a check though?

image.png.d672ff824a91a9d8e2c47aa9bf8f1918.png

3/53 = 3rd Battalion, 53rd Regiment of Foot aka the Shropshire Light Infantry
ACC = Army Cyclist Corps

image.png.7b0e3e621c09c87fd0a4781fe04a7a56.png

image.png.c7f7229e261dcd654cea8dd1f0c2ea8b.png

image.png.78d1780a672735f51dfe4cbfe6ce75af.png

image.png.44ea12378a27558a6d13eff2a693f0a3.png

Images sourced from Findmypast

Regards
Chris

Edited by clk

15 hours ago, yeo1794 said:

Does anyone have anything on Major John Godfrey Bolle  BOSVILE, Shropshire Light Infantry

He doesn't get a mention in the History of the KSLI in the Great War 1914 - 1918, so probably didn't serve with a KSLI battalion during that period.

Yes I'm sure he did in both wars, and from previous info, he was attached to the ACC in WW1 as well.

I added a photo of his medals and you will also note some interesting cloth Arm? badges. Any ideas what period?

Screenshot_20210910-101258_Chrome.jpg

I haven't seen the "arm" badges before but you could try the Soldiers of Shropshire Museum.

I had a look at The London Gazette and found a number of entries for him (there may be more):

22 Apr 1913 - Second Lieutenant (on probation) John GB Bosvile is confirmed in his rank.

11 Mar 1914 - Second Lieutenant John GB Bosvile to be Lieutenant

31 Aug 1914 - Lt JGB Bosvile 3rd Battalion The King's (Shropshire Light Infantry) appointed an aide de camp

19 Oct 1914 - 3rd Battalion The  King's (Shropshire Light Infantry - Lieutenant John GB Bosvile seconded for employment on the Staff.

21 Aug 1915 - The King's (Shropshire Light Infantry) Captain John GB Bosvile is seconded for service with the Army Cyclist Corps

7 Nov 1916 - Army Cyclist Corps Captain J GB Bosvile (Shropshire LI special reserve) to command a battalion and to be temporary major while holding that appointment

17 Feb 1919 - Army Cyclist Corps Captain JGB Bosvile (3rd Bn Shropshire LI special reserve) relinquishes the acting rank of major on ceasing to be employed with the Corps

I also found entries for TJB Bosvile in the Rifle Brigade - possibly a brother?

I haven't looked in the National Archives to see if he had a medal card, which would show medals he was entitled to and with which unit. The above suggests that he did not serve on operations with a battalion of the KSLI during the Great War but he may well have done with the Army Cyclist Corps

Edited by Robin Garrett

I have now found his medal card, which you can download free from the National Archives if you register. Here's the link - https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D1408382 . In essence, it shows him as awarded the 1914 Star, British War Medal and the Victory Medal, which accords with the group you have. His date of embarkation is shown as 6 Nov 1914. I have had trouble deciphering the units shown, other than the last which is 3 KSLI. The first entry might say 1st Bn Kings [can't decipher]  (attached) Rifle Bde.  This might make sense as TJB Bosvile, who's MIC was on the same sheet, served with 11th Bn Rifle Brigade, although he did not arrive in France until Sep 1916. He was awarded the MC.

My notes on Bosvile below. I have a very poor copy photo from a newspaper. Love to see a copy of any photo you may get from the Archives. 

Best

Clive

BOSVILE John Godfrey Bolle Major born on the 11th August 1894 in Cromer, Norfolk . The son of Mabel Higginson and Godfrey Bosvile, he was educated at Shrewsbury School. Commissioned on the 20th July 1912 as Second Lieutenant (on probation) into the 3rd Battalion Shropshire Light Infantry from Cadet, Officers Training Corps ,Shrewsbury School Contingent, Confirmed in rank 22nd April 1913. Promoted Lieutenant 11th March 1914. Seconded for service on the Staff on the 5th August 1914 as Aide de Camp. Returned to regimental duties on 28th September and on the 3rd December 1914 he joined the 8th Divisional Company (vice Lawrence 2/RB) as a Platoon Commander in France. Lieutenant J G B Bosvile was invalided to England and struck off the Company strength on the 12th May 1915 .Promoted Captain and seconded for service with the Army Cyclist Corps on the 21st August 1915 To France again on the 25th August 1915 as CO 23rd Divisional Cyclist Company.  On 9th May 1916, he assumed command of IV Corps Cyclist Battalion on its formation (Army Cyclist Corps. Capt. J. G. B. Bosvile (Shropshire. L.I., Special Reserve) to command a Battalion and to be temporary Major) On the 5th October 1918,  Major J. G. B. Bosvile took command of the 33rd London Regiment after the previous commander had gone on leave. Wounded  . Relinquished the acting rank of Major on ceasing  to be employed with the Army Cyclist Corps. 17th February 1919. Second Lieutenant Army Cadet Force 20th December 1947. Later County Director Sussex Red Cross. Died Hove 1968. Shropshire Archives Reference: 6005/SHYKS/10/1585/4  Title: KSLI Officers  Description: Photograph of Officers group KSLI Infantry at the Training Centre 1941 Maj.J.G.B.Bosvile

2 hours ago, owen4256 said:

BOSVILE John Godfrey Bolle Major born on the 11th August 1894 in Cromer, Norfolk .

That was sneaky – referencing Norfolk in there where it would show up in the “All GWF Activity” page – how was I supposed to resist checking out the Norfolk records to see if he gets a mention :)

The baptism of a John Godfrey Bolle Bosville, born 11th August 1894, took place at St. Peter and St. Paul, Cromer on the 15th September 1894. Parents were Godfrey, a Farmer and Mabel. The family lived in the parish. https://www.freereg.org.uk/search_records/5818df8de93790ec8b55310f/john-godfrey-bolle-bosvile-baptism-norfolk-cromer-1894-09-15?locale=en

(Godfrey Bosvile and Mabel Higginson married in Leicester, the city of her birth, in 1893. In 1891 Godfrey was a visitor at a house in Cardigan at the time of the Census and is stated to be living on own means).

Godfrey Bosvile first turns up with a Cromer connection on the 1895 Register of Electors. He was entitled to vote in Parliamentary, County Council and Civil Parish elections as he was the (male) householder of Home Farm, Cromer. https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:2H11-N8H

I’m not sure if owns the land or is even farming – if he’d owned the land he would have been entitled to additional vote(s) in the County Council and Civil Parish elections. The Register would have been compiled late in 1894.

Godfrey was there still on the 1896 and 1897 editions of the Electoral Register but then the family ups sticks.

By the time the 1901 Census of England & Wales, the family were recorded living at Fir Cottage, Tonbridge, Kent. Father Godrey gives his occupation at Author.

Apparently he had a novel published in 1900 – “Publicans and Sinners: A Novel”. http://victorianresearch.org/atcl/show_author.php?aid=3079

May be a co-incidence but a Godfrey Bosvile had a book published in 1908 called “Horse, Horsemen and Stable-Management”. The frontispiece cites that he is the author of “Hunting in Couples”, “Pounding the Field” “Pale-Blue and Silver” “Forest King’s Riders”, etc. (These are reveiewed in many contemporary newspapers of the period) https://archive.org/details/horseshorsemenst00bosv/page/n7/mode/2up

Unsurprisingly then I’m struggling to find any reference to John in the Norfolk newspapers, either online or in the limited selection I’ve transcribed so far – but I hope the rest is of interest.

Cheers,
Peter