Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Kings Shropshire Light Infantry

Annette Burgoyne

Hi Annette

I may have misunderstood the details on his index card it says: 'Theatre of war first served in' (2A) 'Date of entry therein' 6.10,15 .

Many Thanks again

Charlene

Sorry to be a pain Annette, do you have details of battles the KSLI would have been involved in? Upon speaking to my father, he seemed to think James was in North Africa?

Regards

Charlene

Hi Charlene

Regards the info. on the medal card there are two possibilities -one -there is a mistake with date or Theatre of war first served in, seeing that millions of men served by the law of averages there have to be hundreds of mistakes-two-he did not join a K.S.L.I. battalion but was attached to another Regiment/Corps like the Hereford Regiment ???? The trouble with Labour Corps medal Rolls is that in most if not all cases it does not record which Battalions a man served in.

I have looked at my database to see which Battalions men were joining during early October 1915 (I have looked at dates either side of the 6th because some unit use the date a man set sail and others the date he set foot on land), between the 1st and 5th Oct all drafts seem to be going to the 5th Battalion and between the 7th & 8th October all drafts go to the 8th Battalion, now I only have four men with a 6th Oct date two of which went to the 5th Battalion the other two which includes your Great Grandfather, I do not know their Battalion. From looking at my database and from years of researching I am going to make a guess that James landed on the 7th October in France (please bear in mind this is only guess work) and that the Theatre of war first served in is incorrect. If you ever find out for sure which Battalion he did served in please let me know, the more defiant information I get the better the picture I can give.

Charlene I will give you brief details of the 8th K.S.L.I. in a few days or so I do not have time at moment.

Annette

• 2 months later...

Hi Mike

I am well thanks-I have not been putting much time into the forum these days, I am glad you posted because I have noticed I have not got back to Charlene :( with 8th Battalion info., been too busy with my K.S.L.I. Facebook page over last few months and helping out locals who are researching their memorial.

Annette

• 1 month later...

Hi Annette,

I have attached the photo as requested. Sorry about the delay. Please send on the photographs of the battlefield.

SR

Hi SR

Do you mind asking if its ok for me to have a copy of the photo of Michael to add to my database of K.S.L.I. men (I am also adding photos of the K.S.L.I. men that I have to my Facebook page in memory of the K.S.L.I. over the next few years).

Last year I visited the top and bottom ends of the ridge the 7th K.S.L.I. advanced up on the 14th July and this April I am hoping to walk over the fields that they passed over or if there are crops on it I will get as close as possible to the line they took. If Michael's nephew want's any photos of the Battlefield let me know (I did take a few last year but hoping to get better shots this next visit).

Annette

post-52560-0-75745500-1406415126_thumb.j

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

Last week I bought a number of postcards from a shop in London. Many of them appear to be men of the KSLI. I snapped them up as they were all named and many have regimental numbers and address and some have d.o.d. They appear to have come from an album which has been broken up.i wil try to get back to the shop this week to see if the are any more. I was planning to research the families and upload on to ancestry and lives of ww1. However, I wonder if they are of interest and would be happy to share and post here or send to people on request.

I'll go through them thoroughly but names are:

W L Hales of Whitchurch

J H Cotton of Salop

C Ogden of Nelson

T Deakin of Hadley

W H Stokes

Sapper John W Higgins

Joseph Nelmes Scudamore

A J Hathaway no. 33695 of Handforth

H. A Ovens

G Whitbread of Bacup

S Gough

H Higginson no. 1533

I hope that they might be of interest.

Matt

Hi Annette, would you hold any information on my GGF Cpl Arthur Beech Steele 1/4 KSLI? I have an old photo of him carrying a cane & wearing a pith helmet but have no other info.

Many thanks for any assistance.

am not as good as Annette

but hear goes
his medals were returned over protest pension was stopped info from back of medal card also his number was 123
and he was awarded territorial force medal
enlisted

whitchurch, Salop

Death Date:
30 Dec 1917

Death Place:
France and Flanders

Enlistment Place:
Whitchurch

Corporal

Regiment:
Shropshire Light Infantry

Battalion:
1st 4th Battalion

Regimental Number:

Type of Casualty:
Killed in action

Theatre of War:
Western European Theatre

hope this little bit

james

Hi all sorry for delay in replying

Southern Ros many thanks for photo of Pte. Mulhare, I will post them photos of 14th July battlefield when I get a chance.

James thanks for adding details about Cpl Steele, I will just add he was killed during a German attack on the Welsh Ridge, the 1/4th trenches faced north opposite Marcoing.

Cheers Matt we have been in contact via my facebook and I have replied via your post on there-great find.

Mike here is link to my FB page https://www.facebook.com/KSLI.Battlefields.tours?ref=hl

Regards all

Annette

I'm afraid the only additional information I hold on Kitson is that he enlisted sometime towards the end of May 1916.

The only man I was unable to identify was Roland E. Winnall - the AVL has his regimental number as "391" which isn't consistent with that held by a member of the Grenadier Guards.

Best wishes

Have been researching a John O'Leary born in Naas Ireland in 1877 and have come across Sgt Major John O'Leary 6783 of the Kings Shropshire Light Infantry who was killed in action May 4th 1917 born in Naas. He received the Military Medal. Is there any further information available about this soldier that might help me to further my identification please?

Hi James, many thanks for the info , I had no idea about the medals & pension. Were the medals returned because the pension was stopped or is there any way of finding out why the pension was stopped?

hi sorry for slow reply

not sure why the pension was stopped don't think there is a way of finding that out

but think the medals were returned as a protest due to the pension being stopped

sorry for lack of extra info

Tried to upload a picture of the man himself but unfortunately the file is too big.

Who would I contact to find out a list of his deployments & can you advise are the 1/4ths war diaries available online anywhere?

Many thanks

• 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Annette,

18214 - Pte Charles Bertram Dakin - 1st Battalion Kings Shropshire Light Infantry - KIA 25/9/16

(Morval- Somme casualty aged 17)

I am trying to locate a photo of this young soldier and whether he was 16 years old or even younger upon enlistment ?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Clive (Staffs Pals member)

• 7 months later...

Hi Annette

Hope you are still posting!

Do you have any info on 1 KSLI whereabouts Spring 1918. (apparently War Diaries at Salop. are sparse)

Had a Great Uncle D.O.W. 16.05.18.and buried at Calais

E. F. Lewis 38476 and late of 8 Glos.

AND ! - any sign of your book yet?

Steve

• 3 months later...

Hi Annette Burgoyne and Gavin H

I have been doing so family research recently, You both was researching Sgt Claude Brooks of the KSLI. back in 2004

I happy to let you both know that Claude Brooks was my Great Uncle

Sgt Claude Brooks Father & Mother was William & Rosie Brooks, Claude was 1 of 10 Children His Brothers & Sisters was William, George, John, Lewis and Kitchener, his Sisters was Rose, Hannah Jermima (My Grandmother) and Eliza They lived in Ten Mile Bank Littleport, Ely Cambridgeshire

My dad David Sizer and Aunt Ann Cogram are about the only 2 living family, obviously there are lots of Great Nephews & Nieces like myself.

when I was younger my Grandmother Jermima would talk about reading letters from Claude when he was on the front line during WW1 my Grandmother would have only been 14-15 when here brother was killed.

I am aware that My Great Uncles DCM was given to Shropshire Regimental Museum, along with a Letter and Photograph from my Grandmother.

Originally My Great Uncle joined the Suffolk Regiment of the light infantry, however due to heavy losses the Shropshire and Suffolk regiments merged.

Also I was told shortly before Sgt Claude Brooks died, he sent a letter to say that he had meet a lady and they planned to marry when he was home. the next time, Ludlow was where his barracks was and he planned to live in Ludlow.

I am very proud to be a Great Niece of such a dedicated and brave man, I could not imagine what it was like to be in the Great War.

I hope this helps

• 2 months later...

Hi, wondering if you have any info on Private Arthur Lee. I believe his service number was 200699. He was rumoured to be wounded in the war.

Thanks,

Hull

• 1 month later...

Hi Annette..... I have just found a KSLI beret badge in my mothers belongings. It belonged to my grandfather, Davitt William Rowlands. Unfortunately we have no information about his time in the army as he wouldn't talk about it. I only have a vague idea that he was rumoured to have been a regular soldier and lied about his age to join up - he was born in 1897 so he may have joined up in 1914.  He came from Bala in North Wales but had also worked in Aberystwyth. Would there be any way of finding out anything more? Thanks for your help... Niamh

Sorry I have not replied to post for past couple of years -that time has passed a bit quick-anyway if any of you who posted back 2014 let me know if you still need the info you asked for (by now you may have already found what your looking for).

Niamh I will have a look and see if I have anything on Davitt-hopefully I will be back with in two years:rolleyes: