Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Kings Shropshire Light Infantry

Annette Burgoyne

HI,

My grandfather was a private in the KSLI - Frederick Hillhouse, Regiment number 26470 and I have photograph of him in uniform.

I believe that his service record was destroyed - is there any way I can find any more details as to where he served?

Hi Annette, :)

Do you have any information on Pte Edward Williams 9591 5th Battalion please. He died on 11-2-16. I have a photo of him, and if I can work out how to upload it, you can have a copy if you'd like.

Best Wishes

Tim.

Hi Julian

The only info. I have on Pte. 6248 Herbert R., Attwell is that he trans. to the Warks. Regt. with the number 33048. His K.S.L.I. number suggests that he was a pre-war soldier not sure if he was a Reservist or Regular ? Sorry I could not tell you more.

Hi suzyb

Frederick Hillhouse was formerly 4165 Cheshire Regt. before he trans. to the 6th Battalion K.S.L.I. I think he joined the 6th Batt. some time in late 1916 ?. I will look at war dairy to see if it mentions a batch of Cheshires joining them, but I hope you do not mind waiting as I still have a few look ups for others that I have not got around to doing yet. I have produced a book on the 6th K.S.L.I. which you may like to get from the library service.

Hi Tim

The only info. I have on Pte 9591 Edward Williams is from SD & C.W.G.C., if you do not have this info. let me know and I will sent it to you. The 5/K.S.L.I. were relieved by its sister battalion the 6th on the night of 11/12th this chance meeting caused great pleasure and greetings were exchanged, possibley a little too loudly, for the Germans opened up with a heavy bombardment. Plus the Germans tried to get into trench still held by the 5/K.S.L.I. The Regimental History records that 10 men were killed during the relief but I can only find 8 in SD, I do not have 5th Batt.'s war diary to see which is correct. The bombardment continued all night and became intense during the 12th - the 6th Batt. lost 3 officers & 19 O.R.'s killed during the 12th.

I have a photo of him, and if I can work out how to upload it, you can have a copy if you'd like
Thanks

Regards

Annette

Annette,

Many thanks for your help. I had thought that my grandfather went in the Cheshires after being in the Shropshires as there was a note in the family bible to say that he went in the Cheshires under the Derby Scheme in 1916 and the list provided by John Hartley confirms this. I had thought originally that he went in in 1914 - so I've learned something? If he did get transferred to the Shropshires that would make some sense as there is no obvious connection with that County as he was born in Birkenhead.

I shall certainly be purchasing a copy of your book. Would you like me to try and send you a copy of his photo?

Many thanks again

Suzy

Hi Suzy

I am 99.9% sure that your grandfather joined the 6/K.S.L.I. on the 29th Sept. 1916 or 1st Oct. 1916. The Battalions War Diary records a draft of 105 men on the 29th consisting of 6/Cheshires & Montgomery Yeomanry & on the 1st Oct. a draft of 143 men consisting of 5th & 6/Cheshires, Montgomery Yeomanry, Shropshire Yeo. & 2/4/K.S.L.I. Your grandfather’s number falls among a batch that consists of Cheshires, Mont. Yeo & Shrop. Yeo which runs from about 26415 to about 26639 and all or nearly all are 6th K.S.L.I. men. I have not looked for any other drafts from the Cheshires because I am so sure that he was in one of these two drafts above.

Suzy if you are interested in buying a copy of the book, just email me and I’ll give you details but if you would like to get one from the library first to see what its like then the title is The 6th Battalion King’s Shropshire Light Infantry 1914-19 ISBN 1 903360 02 1

Annette

The only info. I have on Pte. 6248 Herbert R., Attwell is that he trans. to the Warks. Regt. with the number 33048. His K.S.L.I. number suggests that he was a pre-war soldier not sure if he was a Reservist or Regular ? Sorry I could not tell you more.

Thanks Annette. This doesn't seem to quite fit in with what I know about him. Perhaps I have the wrong Attwell! Back to my researches.

Hi Julian

I got the info. from the M.I.C., which is not a 100% relieble. I have not yet come across him in the medal Rolls but I still have about 30% of 14-15 Star Roll to look at and I am only half way through the Victory/British Medal Rolls. If you let me know what you have on your Grandfather it may help me track him down.

Annette

Hi Annette,

Seeking info on my great uncle Frank (or Francis) Jordan,of Albrighton,near Wolverhampton,Shropshire(probably Pte but not totally sure)-hope it's no trouble but I know nothing else about him so if it's no trouble for a look up...

I will check our local War Memorial(Beccles Suffolk) for mention of the KSLI as I seem to remember seeing one,

Many thanks,Laura

Hi Laura

The only Frank (Ernest), Jordan I could find in the K.S.L.I. was born in Shifnal and lived in Oswestry. This chap was killed on 24/09/18. Do you know for sure if he was in K.S.L.I. ?

Annette

Hi Annette,

Thanks for that-no,not my guy (he survived,with shellshock).I was going on something I thought I remembered being told,but it's useful to eliminate KSLI and I'll carry on looking elsewhere.

Thanks again,Laura

• 1 month later...

Dear Annette,

I have been away from the list recently due to ill health, but see you are collecting names for a database of KSLI - I may be able to add a few extra's

Please contact me direct.

Kindest Regards

Margaret Sheridan

I got the info. from the M.I.C., which is not a 100% relieble. I have not yet come across him in the medal Rolls but I still have about 30% of 14-15 Star Roll to look at and I am only half way through the Victory/British Medal Rolls. If you let me know what you have on your Grandfather it may help me track him down.

Hello Annette,

Finally my great-grandfather's medal has been found. My great aunt (his daughter) has it in her possession. He is definitely Pte. 6248 Herbert R., Attwell as described in your previous post.

This is very intriguing. As far as I know he lived in Tottenham, and worked in London. So it is very interesting that he should be in the KSLI, with a number that indicates he was a reservist or regular.

Hi Margaret

I will hopfully email you to-night or tomorrow, there is a hockey match on this weekend and as captain I have to phone around getting players which is time consuming.

Hi Julian

Finally my great-grandfather's medal has been found. My great aunt (his daughter) has it in her possession. He is definitely Pte. 6248 Herbert R., Attwell as described in your previous post.

Glad you have Herbert's medal. Have you by any chance down loaded his M.I.C. This should have the date he land in France/Flanders or other field of operations as long as its before 1916 (I do not think they put dates for entery after 1915 ?). Also the medal card will give the medal roll page refence (s) which will give info. on the Battalions he served.

Annette

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Fred

Sorry but I have no info. on 32168 Pte Ughtred Ashworth. It will be some time before I get to the medal roll that holds his Regt. No. I would say I would contact you once I got to his roll but I'am the sort of person who can't remember where they parked the car two hours earlier :( You could contact me in a year to see if I have got that far or if you do find out which Battalion he was in I can then give you info. on that battalion.

Again Sorry I could not be of help

Annette

• 3 months later...

Just to let people who are interested know that I now post under new user name of 6thShropshires. Also bring it to top for any new members who interested in the Shropshires.

Annette

Annette

Can I ask if you have any information (other than CWGC & SDGW) for

Pte Henry Ashton 18471 7th KSLI killed 31 Oct 1916

He's a friend's grand father but unfortunately all information got thrown away on the death of Henry's daughter (my friend's mother). All I can offer is a picture of Henry Ashton's grave at Courcelles (unusual red gravestones) if you collect that sort of thing in your database.

I'm researching the men of Tipton who were killed and have a few KSLI men, the one I have to hand is:

Pte Walter Baggott 15606 6th KSLI, aged 32, kia 1/7/1916 - ominous date but buried Vlamertinghe. Prev employed as electrician at Baylis, Jones and Baylis of Wolverhampton. Was in 16th Lancers for 'many years' prior to that, but invalided out after thrown from his horse, underwent operation as result of that. Enrolled in KSLI November 1914 - left widow and one child (son). I have the text of a letter written by Captain SF Thorne, and the usual one from the Chaplain Rev Roger Bulstrode.

If you would like a copy of this article (it's from a local newspaper, EMail me your address and I'll send you a copy). I also have a photograph of him and a photo of his grave at Vlamertinghe.

Regards

Andy Johnson

If you have anything else re Pte Baggott I would be interested.

Hi Andy

I do not have much on Pte Ashton, I do not yet have his medal roll entry. The only info. I can pass on is from the Regimental History. The 7th Battalion, proceeded from camp at Bus on the 28th Oct. 1916 and took over the trenches at Serre. The Regt. History makes no mention of casualties to other ranks but records that Lt. Baker was wounded on the 29th Oct. The Battalion was relieved on the 1st Nov. Soldiers Died records that one OR was killed on the 29th Oct. and two others killed on 31st along with Pte. Ashton D. of W. all four are buried in Courcelles Communal Cemetery Ext., as you know Pte. Ashton is grave A. 18, with the two lads K. in A. that same day in A.19 & A.20, would think that he recieved his wounds on the 31st Oct. ?

I know I little more about Pte. Baggott, he landed in France/Flanders on 4-9-15. The 6th Battalion recived a draft of 20 men on the 15-9-15 (just out of interest-out of these 20 men, 8 never made in home, another three were wounded, two were P.O.W.'s, and another three were discharged before the war had ended).

At the time of Pte. Baggott,s death the 6th Battalion were holding the Railway Wood sector. It had raided the German trenches on the night of the 30th June (well 12.03 on 1st July) it had been intended to use gas but the wind was only fair and it was not used during the raid but was let off at 2.45 a.m. on 1st July. The Germans replied vigorously with artillery and T.M.'s, killing two company commanders and nine other ranks.

Thanks for your offer of photo of graves but I do not collect them but I would be very interested in copies of letters thanks.

Annette

Annette

The letters are only as reported in the local newspaper (Tipton Herald). I would gladly put a copy in the post if you want one. EMail me your address and I'll do that.

Thanks for the Baggott info, I'll also pass it on to a relative of his who provided me with his photograph.

Regards

Andy

PS Henry Ashton was in the 7th, wasn't that Manning's Bn?

Hi Andy

Email on its way. And yes the 7th was Manning's Bn. and his book covers the time leading up to 13th Nov. 1916 so your friend could do with obtaining it, as it is a great in-sight into the Battalion. I do not believe he follows the battalions moves to the T but near enought.

Also if you want info. on the other K.S.L.I. on the Tipton Mem. just email me their details.

Annette

• 2 months later...

Hi Annette,

I am new to the forum and would like to contribute to your database. I have a single Victory medal for a Private Walter Evans, number 17594.

His medal card shows that he was entitled to BWM, Victory & 1914-15 star. He also has a Silver Wound Badge number J/959. He served in France, date of entry 5.10.15.

Any more info you could supply me would be great.

Cheers

Gilbert

Hi Gilbert

Can not tell you much more only that he is recorded in the Times 29-9-16 as wounded. I'll see if I can work out which Battalion he was in (I have not yet got his medal roll entry but saying that I should have his 14-15 star entry ?).

Annette

Hi Gilbert

I do have the 14-15 Star medal roll entry for 17594 Pte. Walter Evans but you are a bit unluckly as the page is very blurred (I will have to re-photo this page) so can not read. You say he entered on 5.10.15. I have found 41 men who entered France/Flanders, and all are 5th Battalion.

If this is the case he may have been wounded sometime between 24th-31st Austust at Delville Wood. The Battalion made an attack on the 24th August too clear the edge of the wood. But this is only a guess.

The only thing I can make out of his medal roll is that he was discharged in what looks like 1917. It could be a year before I visit Kew again too re-photo the page.

Annette

Hi Annette,

Thanks for the swift reply. That's a shame about the medal roll. There is quite a bit of info on his medal card so I will decipher it as a nice starter 'research' project. I just bought Williamson's excellent but weighty reference book so that should help. I'll keep you posted.

All the best

Gilbert