Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Kings Shropshire Light Infantry

Annette Burgoyne

Hello Annette

I'm afraid the only additional information I hold on Kitson is that he enlisted sometime towards the end of May 1916.

The only man I was unable to identify was Roland E. Winnall - the AVL has his regimental number as "391" which isn't consistent with that held by a member of the Grenadier Guards.

Best wishes

Ed

Annette,

I can give you some information about four (K.)S.L.I. men who appear on war memorials in Ireland, but I'm afraid they were all officers. Are you interested?

Michael

Hi Michael

Post their names and I'll see if I can help. While I am more interested in the other ranks, I do record any info. on officers that comes my way. Plus I know I have info. on at lest two Irish officers, who were killed with the 6/K.S.L.I.

Annette

Hi Annette

My Great Grandfather joined the KSLI in the Ist World War.

He was:

Private Nathaniel Hulbert

Age on enlistment:36 years 4 months (my great-grandmother wasn't pleased!)

Enlisted: 6/6/1916

Mobilised: 22/8/1916

D company 2/4 KSLI

29/9/1917:Transferred to corps of Hussars. 2/1 Denbigh (Hussars) Yeomanry.

6/7/1918: Posted to Royal Welsh Fusiliers

7/7/1918: To France.

I have his papers from the PRO, a studio photo of him with KSLI cap badge, some French postcards and his British War Medal named to:

59238 Pte N Hulbert Denbigh Yeomanry

All from his daughter, my Granny.

Don't know where his Victory Medal went, possibly to my Granny's sister.

Wasn't in the KSLI long but it might interest you!

Dominic

Hi Annette

The following KSLI chaps are commemorated on memorials in the Cheltenham area and I have photos of those marked with an (*):

Pte Frank Bubb, 6431, 7th Battalion (*)

Sgt Willam Challoner, 6884, 5th Battalion (*)

Pte George Lewis, 10317, 1st Battalion (*)

Capt Owen Robert Lloyd, MC, 3rd Battalion

Pte Charles Frank Stephen Lusty, 24060, 7th Battalion

Pte James William Price, 204112, 6th Battalion (*)

Pte John Francis Privett, 26970, 5th Battalion (*)

Pte Herbert Victor Tomlinson, 8047, 1st Battalion (*)

Pte Leonard Rees Tomlinson, 12566, 1/4th Battalion (*)

Pte Alfred John Williams, 29076, 1st Battalion (*)

Regards

Jimmy

Hello, Annette,

Here are the four KSLI officers I have found on war memorials in Ireland:

Fisher, Hubert T.Patrick: Galway, St. Nicholas' Collegiate Church of Ireland War Memorial Cross. 2nd. Lieut. the Shropshire Light Infantry, attached the Gloucester Regt., son of Harry D. Fisher, Galway,killed in the Battle of the Somme 9th July 1916, aged 21 years.

Kenny, Cecil Stacpoole: Dublin,Four Courts Barristers' Memorial Barrister.Graduate of Trinity College, Dublin. B.A. 1912. 2nd.Lt. 9 Shrops L.I.1915. Drowned at sea 11 Nov. 1915.

O'Connor, Herbert (Hubert) Michael: Dublin,Four Courts Barristers' Memorial Barrister. 2nd.Lt 6 Shrops L.I. Jan 1915; M.C.; Jun 1916; Capt. 1916. Died of wounds 17 Aug 1917.

O'Fflahertie, Godwin Swifte: Belvedere College, Dublin, War Memorial Enlisted “as soon as war broke out”. 2nd. Lt. 3 Shrops L.I. early 1915. Stationed at Green Camp in Pembroke before being sent to Egypt. K.I.A. Egypt March 1917.

Michael

Hi Dominic

Thanks for info. on your Great Grandfather Nathaniel Hulbert. Useful to know dates of enlistment and mobilised because I have so little info. relataing to enlistment. Do you have his K.S.L.I. number, I looked Nathaniel up on the M.I.C. on-line but it does not give his K.S.L.I. details.

Hi Jimmy

Thanks for your info., would I be asking too much for scanned copies of photos, do not wear if I am asking too much, I know its a bit of a cheek to ask. If you want any info. on these man like what action their battalions were taking part in when killed just ask.

Hi Michael

I have very little on the following three officer:

2nd Lt. Fisher, Hubert T.Patrick.

2nd Lt. Kenny, Cecil Stacpoole.

Lt. O'Fflahertie, Godwin Swifte.

But I have lots of info. on Captain O'Connor, Hubert Michael time with the 6/K.S.L.I. He was a fine officer.

Thanks All

Annette

Hi Annette

Yes I noticed that, seems strange. The only other service number on Nathaniel's records is on an Army Form B.122 when he was given 4 days confined to barracks for smoking in the messing canteen on 23/2/1917 (unfortunately this was witnessed by a CSM Pugh-not the best person to be caught by!)

The number on this form is 5515-though it is not brilliantly clear. There is another number but it has been crossed out and is illegible.

We have a postcard from him to my Granny sent from the KSLI H.Q. (signals) at Aldeburgh, Suffolk on the 10/9/1917 which would be just before he was transferred.

His casualty form says he was transferred to the Denbigh Yeomanry by the authority of War Office secret letter 27/Gen. No./6273 A.G. 2ad/6.9.1917 Para 4 and 68th Div. memo No 3552/Ad/24.9.17.

Does anybody know if these documents might still be in the National Archives?

Thanks.

Dominic

Hi Dominic

You may be best making a new thread in Soldiers, asking if the documents may be in the National Archives, you may get more responce. As for his number not sure about the number 5515, most men that I know of with numbers in this area are Boer War chap.

Annette

I have lots of info. on Captain O'Connor, Hubert Michael time with the 6/K.S.L.I. He was a fine officer.

Hello, Annette,

Could you please let me have what you know about Hubert O'Connor? I know of someone who is writing a book about Irish barristers who died in the Great War, and it would be helpful to him.

Michael

Hi Michael

Yes I can do that but it could be some time before I get around to it, I am only just getting around to typing out info. on a forum members relative which I said I'd do well over a month ago.

Annette

Hi Annette,

Just seen this thread.

I have a 1914 Star & Bar trio named to:-

7470 Pte S. Wilson, 1 Shrops L I.

According to the MIC his first name was Sidney, he went to France 10.9.14, awarded SWB

1. , and at some time served in the R. Welsh Fus [No 51436].

Ian.

Hi Ian

I have the 1914 Star Roll info. but did not have SWB

1. info. Thanks, one day I will get around to looking at SWB roll and all referances help as I believe the SWB roll is not in Regimental order.

Annette

Hello Annette,

I have done some research on 29211 Sjt Claude Brooks DCM, who died of wounds on 12/08/1918 while serving with the 1/4th Battalion KSLI:

Born in Lakenheath, Suffolk, around 1893.

Son of William George Brooks (labourer) and Rosina Brooks.

Living in High Street, Lakenheath at the time of the 1901 Census.

Enlisted into the Suffolk Regiment at Ely (Regt No. 12653)

Resident in Littleport, Cambs.

Promoted to Serjeant

Arrived in a theatre of war after 01/01/1916 (entilted to a BWM and Victory pair - J/1/102 B11 Page 3387)

Transfered to Hampshire Regiment (Regt No. 26586). Served with the 14th Battalion

Transfered to the 1/4th Battalion K.S.L.I.

Died of wounds 12/08/1918. Buried Sandpits British Cemetery, Fouquereuil, Pas de Calais. Grave IV.B.10

DCM gazetted 03/10/1918:

29211 (Late 26586) Sgt. C. Brooks, Shrops L.I. (Ludlow)

For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty. During a counter-attack, when his platoon officer had become a casualty, this N.C.O. took command of the platoon, and, leading them with conspicuous gallantry and skill, he recaptured and re-established the portion of the line that was his objective. He then went out in broad daylight with a fighting patrol and drove the enemy out of a strong point and captured a machine gun. Later he brought in two wounded men under heavy machine gun and rifle fire.

He is commemorated on the Littleport War Memorial, and also on a brass plaque commemorating the men of Little Ouse, inside Littleport Church.

I hope all this is of interest. I don't suppose you've come across a photo of Sjt Brooks by any chance?!

Regards

Gavin

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Gavin

Sorry but I missed your post some how :blink: and sorry I have not come across a photo of him.

29211 (Late 26586) Sgt. C. Brooks, Shrops L.I. (Ludlow)

I wonder why Ludlow is in brackets, he does not seem to have a link with Ludlow ?

Annette

Thanks for looking Annette. I was at the National Archives today, and discovered that the act his DCM was awarded for took place at Montagne-de-Bligny on 6th June 1918.

I believe that (Ludlow) on the citiation indicates has place of residence. I had wondered if he had moved his family there after being transfered to the KSLI. Perhaps he had just given the regimental base as his home address on some army form?

Regards

Gavin

Gavin do you have access to the Regimental History, if not I can type out info. on Montagne-de-Bligny attack by 1/4th, a W.F.A. member sent me a map used by 1/4th on 6th June 1918. I'll try and find it. Also I'll have a look a Towns memorial to see if Claude Brooks is on it ?

Annette

I don't have access to the regimental history, so I would be very grateful for any details of the attack if your sure it isnt too much trouble. I did get a copy of the Unit War Diary page for this date, but it only has a few lines, and there is no seperate report attached.

Thanks very much for the offer.

Regards

Gavin

Gavin I have found the map of 1/4/K.S.L.I. attack on Montagne-de-Bligny, if you want copy email me and I'll send it to you.

Annette

Hi Gavin

Not sure if the map as got to you ? the first attempt failed, hopefully second as got to you, let me know if it as not.

Annette

Hello Annette,

I wonder if you have any record of my Great Grandfather Herbert Rome Attwell. According to his medal record he was a private in the KSLI, although he lived in North London.

Many thanks.