Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Kings Shropshire Light Infantry

Annette Burgoyne

ANNETTE

In one of your replies you stated that the local paper published a list of CASUALTIES.Does this include Wounded or is it only deaths ?

CHEERS.

JOHN. :D

Hi Perce

Thanks for info. but I do already have it. I should have put in my first post that I have SD CD ROM plus a CD from CWGC with K.S.L.I. info., sorry :(

P.S. I did not have info about Artur luscott Civvy Occupation, very little helps. Again thanks.

Hi John

My local paper the Ludlow Advertiser includes all K.S.L.I. CASUALTIES, but sadly there was a fire many years ago which distroyed most of the copies. There are only a dozen or so for 1915, and most of 1918 are still intacked. The 1918 ones also contain local men from other regiments.

Annette

Hi Annette

Dont know if its of any use but I have the disk with the Rolls of honour for the Birmingham area-there sre 22 names mentioned that are KSLI do you already have this info or is it of some good?

ie John l Heap 3rd KSLI worked for Birmingham Small Arms

If any use drop me a line

Cheers

Perce :D

Hi Perce

I do not have any info. from Rolls of honour for the Birmingham area, so it could add extra to my database thanks.

Annette

Hi Annette

Cool will sort it tomorrow for you , disc in work-you want them pm or on the site?

Cheers

Annette:

I happened across one KSLI (2nd Bn) man in David L. Adams' Frome's Fallen Heroes The Great War. Most of the info he gives on Pte. Basil Young 20642, you would have from CWGC, but he does mention that Young was formerly 22589 Somerset Light Infantry and that his name appears on the Frome (Somerset) War Memorial--info which may be of interest if you don't already have.

Chris

Hi Annette

Heres the list of Companies with employees who served in the KSLI

Heap John L 3rd batt Birmingham small arms

Grogan.R Wolsely Motors ltd

Lewis ------------

Barsby.E 4th Deritend Stamping Co Ltd

Barsby.C --- ----------------------------

Harper.E --- -----------------------------

Hadley.G.L Cadbury Bros

Lythall.W.A -----------------

Parr. N Capt 6th Mounts Ltd

Edmonds.F City of Birmingham Electrical Supply Dept

Gittings.A (MC) KIA Ansells brewery

Penn. J Pte Ludlow bros

Walker.R KIA Abbingdon Ecco Ltd

Osbourne.J.Pte Delta Metal Co

Carter.W Scribbanns Ltd

Millington J. Pte Henry Wiggins and Co nickel,Cobalt and casting Dept

Pettitt G F.E Baker Ltd

Beeston.A Sgt 2nd Messrs W.Canning and Co

Coppock.W Pte Mckechie Brothers Ltd

Smith.S Pte -------------------------

Davy.Geo Pte Electric and Ordanance Vickers Ltd

Poppitt.C M.B Wild and co Ltd

and i notice today that the MM to 26882 L/Cpl Whorn is on Speedbid

Hope this is of some us and sorry foor the awful typing

Cheers

Hi Perce

Many thanks for the list of K.S.L.I. lads from Roll of honour for the Birmingham area. I spend tonight looking for them in database. If I have any extra info. on them like wounded etc, do you want it ?

I would have a go at buying L/Cpl William Henry, Horn M.M. if I had the money to spare. Plus I am not a medal collector but seeing that he was a 6th Battalion chap I would have been tempted.

Hi Chris

I did have the info. that he was formerly Somerset Light Infantry but I can add that his name appears on the Frome War Memorial-Thanks.

Ed and Enoch did you both got the emails I sent you the other day, if not let me know and I can re-sended them.

Regards All

Annette

Hi Annette

Any info gratefully rxed-do you have any transfers to/from South Lancs?

If anyone else needs look ups on the rolls give me a shout

Hi Annette

On the day Pte luscott was wounded 4 other soldiers were kia/wia do you have any ideas who they were.any info gratefully rxed

thanks very much

perce :D

annette, thankyou for the information you send me, sorry for being late with the thanks

enoch

Hi Annette

I am currently doing a database of the Kensingtons from the medal rolls and other sources. I shall pass any Kensingtons who have Shropshire connections.

I have an interest in the KSLI as I grew up near Bishop's Castle so would be interested in any men from the south Shropshire area.

I wonder whether it would be worth contacting Ludlow MP Matthew Green to see if the House of Commons/Lords holds anything on the KSLI, may be a long shot but you never know.

Also I have some names on the local war memorial in Middleton Church, near Chirbury, which I shall pass onto you.

I have contacts with the archives in Shrewsbury if that is any help at Copthorne Barracks if that is any help.

Tom

Hi Perce

any transfers to/from South Lancs?

Do you mean ones with Birmingham contection or any transfers between the Regiments. If you mean the second, then there are lots, I have a big interest in a batch of 6/K.S.L.I. who trans. to S. Lancs in early 1919. But can you wait serveral months for me to pass on my info., I am still in the process of up dateing with info. from M.I.C. on-line which will take months, so can you wait then I'll have a clearer picture.

On the day Pte luscott was wounded 4 other soldiers were kia/wia

Do you know which day he was wounded ? or do you mean the day he D.

of W. ? The 1st Battalions War Diary (by the way Pte. Luscott was 1st Batt. not 7th) only records two O.R.'s wounded on the 16th plus Capt. Ingram, R.A.M.C., went missing after going out to looking for wounded. The Regt. History records that the Chaplain, the Rev. R. E. Inglis was killed while out looking for Capt. Ingram.

But soldiers died records two d. of w. (including Pte. Lusctt) and two k. in a. on the 16th ? There are meny differances between SD and 1st Batt. War Diary, for example diary records 5 men killed on the 15th Sept. 1916, SD & CWGC only record one killed on that. Also there are serval men who are recorded in SD as being killed or died under 1/K.S.L.I. but other souces have pointed to them being attached to 2nd Welsh.

I can give you details from 1st Batt. War Diary for period 13th-18th Sept. 1916, but I can not do it for a while, I have a growing list of things to do. :blink::D

Hi Tom

Thanks for offer to pass on any Kensingtons who have Shropshire connections. Plus I'll look through AV (I do not have full AV. for South Shropshire) to see if there are any Kensingtons.

I do visit the archives in Shrewsbury when I can, which is not very often also I did ask Copthorne Barracks if they had any info. on Great War men but they said they did not have any only the roll of these who lost their lives.

Again many thanks both

Annette

Thanks Annette

Info really good no hurry on any of the stuff

Cheers

Hi Annette

I too have some (in some cases quite detailed) information on some of the KSLI. Is it easier to post them here or give them to you off forum??

All the best Hambo

Hi Tom

I have an interest in the KSLI as I grew up near Bishop's Castle so would be interested in any men from the south Shropshire area

I did not read your post that well, and throught you meant Kensingtons, there are no 22nd Royal Fus. in the part of AV that I have. But now I have re-read your post, in what way are you interested in men from the south Shropshire area with a K.S.L.I. connetion. Are you just interested Bishop's Castle area ? or the whole of South Shropshire, I have K.S.L.I. men from the whole Volum of the South Shrops. AV but only photocopied part of it. If you let me know what sort of info. you want.

I did come arcoss one chap of the 22nd Royal Fus. in "Bridgnorth, An Army Roll of Honour 1914-18"

Cpl. Steward, W. J. but seeing that he was killed I guessed that you would have his details. But you may not have the following ? Which was taken from the Bridgnorth Journal dated 22-7-16, which states that he was killed whilst repairing a parapet; caught by German machine gun fire and shot in the head.

Annette

Just throught you may be looking into 1/13th London Regt. in which case there is one man in Shrewsbury Av. of that Battalion. His name his Harold Pritchard- Regt. No. 43861, of Old Bird-in-hand, St. Micheal's, Shrewsbury.

Ed and Enoch did you both got the emails I sent you the other day, if not let me know and I can re-sended them.

Hello Annette

I've only just caught up with this thread! I'm afraid that I haven't received your e-mail - would it be possible for you to send it again? :D

I'm about half way through copying the KSLI SWB rolls that I have. I'll endeavour to send you copies by the end of the week.

Best wishes

Ed

Hi Annette,

The three men on the war memorial at Middleton Church, Shropshire are:

Pte Richard Josiah Jones

Pte David Mackenzie

L/Cpl Walter Ernest Pryce.

Hope this is useful.

T

Hi Annette

Wonder if you can help. I'm trying to find out if two of my grandfather & great uncle served during the war. No-one in the ramily seems interested so I'm on my own, as it were.

Their names, respectively, were: Walter RIDGE or REDGE & Thomas Enoch RIDGE or REDGE. I guess the KSLI is a good starting place as they were born near Shelve.

Hope you can dig up something.

Regards.

Nigel

Hi Ed

I have re-sent the email, hope it gets to you. If not I can post the list here.

Hi Tom

Thanks, I will add that info. to my database.

Hi Nigel

I will look and see, plus I noticed you post under Bridgnorth Roll of Honour, I also have a copy and will look through it.

Regards All

Annette

Hi Nigel

I could not find either a Walter RIDGE or REDGE & Thomas Enoch RIDGE or REDGE but I have noticed the R's M.I.C. are now on-line, try searching that but bewear there are mistakes, so do not give up if you can not find them in M.I.C. on-line.

Annette

Hello Annette

Just to confirm receipt of your e-mail - many thanks for taking the trouble to do that for me, it's much appreciated! Quite an interesting bunch including one DCM winner (Sgt. 18191 Henry DAVIES).

Many thanks once again.

Best wishes

Ed

Hi Ed

I notice that AV got Sgt. Davies' number slightly wrong.

Do you have any info. on Pte. Kitson, just interest because he comes from my old village.

Annette