Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Kings Shropshire Light Infantry

Annette Burgoyne

Hi all

Most of the Pals will know that I am compiling a database of all the men who joined the Kings Shropshire Light Infantry (Great War only) but many new Pals may not be aware of this. Any information would be greatfully received. Also willing to do look ups for anyone with K.S.L.I. interest.

One day when finished I will make the database available to Library service or who ever can make best use of it.

Annette

Hello Annette

Do you have any information on the following KSLI Officer:

Lieut. H.S. NEWILL, 8th Bn. KSLI

Lived at Admaston House, Wellington, Shropshire.

I'm hoping to do some research on him the next time I'm at the NA but after seeing your request, I thought I'd mention him!

I do have details on about half a dozen other KSLI soldiers which I'll dig out for you at the weekend.

As a matter of interest, do you have the SWB roll for the KSLI?

Kind rgds

Ed

Hi Ed

I do not have much info. on officers, my interest lies in the rank and file. I looked at Regt. History and there is no mention of Lieut. H.S. NEWILL. There is a 2d Lt. W.H. Newil, who was mentioned in Despatches. Because the index in the Regt, History as omissions, I looked over part on 8th Battalion but found no mention of him.

I do not yet have SWB roll for the KSLI, I have 1914 Star roll, and about 1/3 of 1914- 15 Star roll, and small batches of Victory/British medal roll.

Thanks for offer of looking up details on K.S.L.I. men you have.

Annette

Hello Annette

Any information you have on Lance Corporal Frederick White would be a help to my research of pupils who attended King edward School retford . I know he was in the 5th Battalion and died 16/9/1916 and is remebred on the Thiepval Memorial.

ANother soldier I am interested in is Thomas Paul Bausor. I know ytou say you are not too interested in the officers but if you do have anyhthing on him I should be grateful. He was 2nd Lieutenant in the 9th Batallion and died 6/4/1916

Thank you

Dorrie

Annette,

Don't know if you have details about the following?

32405 Pte Robert Geldard 3rd & 8th KSLI who later served as G/106756 Middlesex Regt. He appears on the Victory/BWM Medal roll for the Middlesex Regt (WO329/1509). On the page I copied of the roll all the others are 3rd/8th KSLI. Do you want the details? Not sure when the transfer took place and there is no mention in Wood's book.

Also 28406 Pte Ernest Derbyshire KSLI who appears on the Labour Corps Vic/BWM medal roll as Pte 635795. No details on which KSLI battalion unfortunately. I suspect looking for KSLI men who transferred to Labour Corps could be a bit of a needle and haystack job!

Rob

Hi Dorrie

Here is what I have:-

20279 L/Cpl. Frederick, White. Born Wolverhampton. Enlisted Wolverhampton. Formerly 91049 R.F.A.

The date of L/Cpl. White death is or may be incorrect, alone with 49 other men of the 5th Battalion. They took part in the Battle of Flers-Courcelette on 15th Sept. 1916, helping to capture Bull’s Road. The Regt. History records 34 OR’s killed & 34 missing. They were relieved that evening but after 11 hours rest were back in line on the 16th, with 2 O.R’s killed. But Soldiers Died and C.W.G.C. both record two men killed in action on 15th and 50 men killed in action on the 16th, to me it looks like a clerk some where as got the figures the wrong way around.

The only info. I have on 2nd Lt. Bausor is that he was attached to T.M.B.

Hi Rob

Sorry I do not have any info. on either of your chaps, mainly because they trans. to other units. I would be very great full if you could pass on what details you have. Thanks

Hi Alec

I have the following info.

5984 A/Cpl. Huband, George Henry. Born St. Peter's, Worcester. Enlisted Worcester. Entered Field 28/03/15. Aged 32, son of George & Sarah Ann of Worcester. Husband of Florence Ellen of 3 Common Rd., Evesham.

On the 7th May, 1915 the 2/K.S.L.I. were in G.H.Q. line near Potijze, and repairing the trench, there were 12 casualties. Ten of whom were killed, none of them have a known grave, and one died of wounds and buried in Perth (China Wall) Cemetery.

Annette

Hello Annette

Many thanks for your response on Lieut. Newill. I'll update you once I've researched him a bit more!

I also hope the following might prove useful for your database:

Private 8494 Arthur RISLEY.

Enlisted 25 May 1907 and discharged 29 May 1916 with sickness. Served overseas.

Private 2819 George GROOM

Enlisted 12 February 1915 and discharged 12 February 1915 from 4th Bn. with sickness. Did not serve overseas.

Sgt. 13078 William DOWNS

Enlisted 9 September 1914 and discharged from 3rd Bn. on 7 March 1917 with sickness. Did not serve overseas.

L/Cpl. 201843 G.E CATES

Enlisted 15 April 1912 and discharged from 4th Bn. on 18 July 1917 with sickness. Served overseas.

Private 204800 Albert JONES

Enlisted 9 March 1915 and discharged 7 March 1919 age 23 yrs. Served overseas.

Pte. 12072 Ernest PARTON

Enlisted 4 September 1914 and discharged 11 January 1916 age 23. Did not serve overseas.

If you're interested, I can supply you with copies of the SWB rolls for the above which contain the details of at least another dozen KSLI soldiers. I also have additional bits of info. on some of those listed; I'll endeavour to dig this out for you at the weekend.

Of course, I'd also be interested to see what you have in your database on any of the above :D

I'm particularly interested in L/Cpl Cates who served with the 4th Bn. as they had quite an interesting time during the War; I'm aware that they were despatched to Singapore in February 1915 to deal with the mutiny of the Indian 5th Light Infantry.

Best wishes

Ed

Many Thanks Ed for these details.

Here is the only info. I have on L/Cpl. 201843 George. E CATES

Formerly Liverpool Regiment 1435, this is from M.I.C. on-line which incorrectly spells name Oates.

The 1st/4th Battalion were sent to help put down the 5th Light Infantry but by the time they arrived in Singapore the situation was in hand and it was only left to round up any mutineers still at large. Do you know if L/Cpl. Cates was with the Battalion then, I only ask because his Regt. No. makes me think he was not with the original 805 men who sail to India in October 1914, he may have been one of the 460 men who joined the Battalion in May 1916 ?

Private 204800 Albert JONES was formerly 20950 Lancashire Fusiliers.

I do not have any info. on the others but Pte. 12072 Ernest PARTON may have come from the Wellington area, Shropshire, because all the men near his number that I know about came from this area.

The other SWB details you have would be great-fully recieved, I must try and take a look at the SWB roll, but I believe its not in Regimental order, which is a pain.

Again many thanks

Annette

Annette,

The others with Pte Robert Geldard who went onto serve with Middlesex Regt are as follows:

32341 Pte Richard Banks (Pte G/106753 - Middx)

32418 Pte George Fell (G/106757 -Middx)

32441 Pte Thomas Turner (G/106758 - Middx)

32444 Pte Noah Bray (G/106759 - Middx)

All were 3rd/8th KSLI before transfer. I'm assuming that the G on their service number indicates that they were in a Garrison Battalion of the Middlesex Regt.

Do you have any info on 200409 Pte Joel Albert Wait 4th KSLI (I think he may be from Ludlow) or 31539 Pte Nathaniel James 4th KSLI?

Rob

Hello Annette (and Promenade!)

Many thanks for the information. I suspect that Cates may have been one of those who joined the 1/4th Bn. in 1916 as you suggest - as both yourself and Promenade have pointed out, he served with the KLR to start with.

I will endeavour to copy all of the SWB rolls that I have for the KSLI and forward them onto you.

Good luck with the database! How many soldiers do you have recorded now?

Rgds

Ed

Hi Rob

Thanks for info. on the men above. Sorry I do not know what the G stands for. What battalion of the Middx. Regt. did the above men join ?

Here is what info. I have on the two men you ask about:-

200409 Pte Joel Albert Wait 4th KSLI (lived at 77 Gravel Hill, Ludlow)

31539 Pte Nathaniel James (recorded wounded in Ludlow Advertiser 29-6-18) he may well have been in the 4th as there are many from this battalion either side of his Regt. No. but can not be 100% sure.

I also have the following info. on three of the men in your list. Rob do your interest lie in the Middx. Regt. itself or something else. If it’s the Regiment I will look through the Absent Voter lists that have for Middx. Regt., let me know.

32341 Pte Richard Banks (recorded wounded in my local paper Ludlow Advertiser 16-3-18)

32441 Pte Thomas Turner lived at Shrewsbury

32444 Pte Noah Bray lived at 78 King Street Malinslee.

Hi Ed

There is no rush for SWB Info. I have been working on database for about 16 years now with many more years before I finish, so there is no rush. You ask how many soldiers I have recorded, well I am not sure :blink: because I have it split between two computers and its a slow job transfarring them all to my new computer (well it was new when I started) because I am double checking all the info I have on each man plus adding new info. I have 9117 soldiers on the new computer and about 8,000 to 9,000 on the old one. By the way I start to transfer back at Christmas 2002, so its along job, plus out of the 9117 records on the new computer 4297 are 1914 Star and 1914-15 Star holders, I have been busy since May this year transcribing them, no wonder my brain as turned to mush :( .

Regards All

Annette

hello annette,

as promised here is the list of men in the west brom. book of rem. who are listed as k.s.l.i.(only 20!)

biggs, henry a. pte 12773

brookes, bertie pte 5535

courier, francis l. pte 295427

hodnett, william l. pte 17270

holloway,ernest j. pte 18917 killed 1916

moseley, john pte 53107

mould, charles w. captain killed 1916

parkes, thomas pte 13842

pearce, ernest h. pte 13871

pritchard, samuel p. pte 20936

rowley, george pte 204114

russell, herbert pte 19464

savage, william j. pte 10387

skyrme, william pte 7058

small, william pte 437891

smith, edward pte 19791 died

thompson, ernest pte 13933

whittaker w.e. pte 202068

withers, robert pte 7349

woodford, james h. pte 631923

thank god you didnt ask for a list of durham light infantry men in the book,theres two hundred + of them. whats the connection between durham and west brom?

enoch

ANNETTE

My maternal grandfather CHARLES SEYMOUR started his ww1 time as 11722 SOMERSET LIGHT INFANTRY. Latterly as l/cpl. He was transfered to 20658 SHROPSHIRE LIGHT INFANTRY..He survived the war and was awarded the victory, british war and 1915 star medals.

The only thing I know about his service record is that he was picked up, as a casualty,by his brother.Somewhere in F.or Fl. Who was heard to utter BLOODY HELL. ITS OUR CHAR.

If you do not have him can you add him to your list, or,if you can, can you offer me any more information ?

CHEERS.

JOHN :D

Hi Ed

Many thanks for your list of West Brom lads who served in K.S.L.I., I will run them through my datebase tomorrow. If I have any info. on them do you want it ?

Hi John

Thanks for info. on CHARLES SEYMOUR, I did not have him in the database and have added his details.

Thanks again

Annette

Hello Annette

Just by way of correction, it was Enoch that kindly supplied the details of West Brom. KSLI men and not myself. :D

I'm in the process of scanning the SWB pages for you and will e-mail them through in the next couple of days. As a matter of interest, I noticed in another thread that you had access to the South Shropshire AVL. Should you ever come across any Grenadiers in your searches, I'd be interested in hearing details (but please don't go out of your way)!

Best wishes

Ed

Enoch, sorry I made the post a bit late last night and my brain must have been turned off :( . Anyway Enoch many thanks for your list of West Brom lads who served in K.S.L.I.

Ed thanks for pointing out my mistake. And yes I'll look through AV for Grenadiers.

Annette

annette, my brain is turned off all the time!, i will be happy to accept any information on the west brom lads

thanks enoch

Annette,

I wasn't aware that Nathaniel James was a Shropshire lad. I have a copy of the medal roll which states he is 4th KSLI.

My interests are KSLI and other Shropshire units rather than the Middlesex Regt. The medal roll page for Geldard et al doesn't state which battalion of the Middlesex Regt these men went into.

Thanks for your help.

Rob

Hi Rob

I do not think Nathaniel is from Shropshire, the Ludlow Advertiser gave all K.S.L.I. casualties.

Its good to see someone else with big interest in K.S.L.I.

Ed

I have found about 8 Grenadiers in AV, plus two who were wounded and not listed in AV. I will type out info. in next few days and email it to you.

Enoch

I will also email you in next day or two with small info. on some of you West Brom lads.

Annette

Ed

I have found about 8 Grenadiers in AV, plus two who were wounded and not listed in AV. I will type out info. in next few days and email it to you.

Hi Annette

That's great! Many thanks.

Kind rgds

Ed

Hi Annette

Some gen for your database if you dont already have it

19127 Pte Artur luscott

7th Batt KSLI

DoW 16/09/16 age 41

Parents -John and Mary luscott of Bishops Castle, Salop

Wife- E A Luscott of 2 Rookery Harnage ,Cressage, Shrewsbury

Enlisted-Shrewsbury