Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Mitter2k1

US Enlisted Collar Disks

NavyDude

Hi, new to this forum. I dug a US collar disc, looks like Type I with the US having "ILL" centered in smaller lettrrs. No frame around ILL. I guess it's an Illinois Guard disc. Any idea what time period it's from? Thanks!

4thGordons
17 minutes ago, NavyDude said:

Hi, new to this forum. I dug a US collar disc, looks like Type I with the US having "ILL" centered in smaller lettrrs. No frame around ILL. I guess it's an Illinois Guard disc. Any idea what time period it's from? Thanks!

Welcome to the forum,

Any chance of a picture?

I work with the IL NG museum in Springfield and there are folks there who could certainly tell you but a picture would be helpful. (Ie I'm not sure how small the small letters etc) are.

There are designs with ILL as three letters straight across the center of the disk, some with a curved I straight L and cured L, and also some with large letters and a full-stop (period). So a picture would really help but yes it sounds like an IL NG disk.

Chris

NavyDude
3 hours ago, 4thGordons said:

Welcome to the forum,

Any chance of a picture?

I work with the IL NG museum in Springfield and there are folks there who could certainly tell you but a picture would be helpful. (Ie I'm not sure how small the small letters etc) are.

There are designs with ILL as three letters straight across the center of the disk, some with a curved I straight L and cured L, and also some with large letters and a full-stop (period). So a picture would really help but yes it sounds like an IL NG disk.

Chris

Hey Chris, thanks for the reply. Here's a pic.

IMG_20191127_131727607_HDR~2.jpg

NavyDude
On 27/11/2019 at 17:26, 4thGordons said:

Welcome to the forum,

Any chance of a picture?

Chris

Just checking back in with you, Chris. Any chance you've had time to review the pic I posted? Thanks! --Andy

4thGordons

Hello

Sorry. Yes I have seen it and have forwarded the image to folks at the museum.

They were closed Thurs through today for Thanksgiving - I would hope to know if they can give a timeperiod for the use of this style of disc in a day or so.

My suggestion would be that it was a pre war disk design that continued in widespread use during the war but I claim no real expertise in these.

I'll post back with any response I get.

Chris