Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

4th highland mountain brigade burial sites from Salonika

macvolvo

My grandfather Andrew McIndoe died on December 19th, 1916. He is buried at the Sarigol military cemetery. I believe he was moved there in 1921 from Janes military cemetery which was nearby. His number was 300366 and he was a driver. Is there a way to tell if others from the 4th Highland mountain brigade are buried there.

Good morning. Using Geoff's Excelent Engine, you can search each cemetery Sarigol Military Cemetery, Kriston. You can scroll through the pages and check if there are any others. It may be possible to do this on the CWGC site?

Mike

Edit 07:31 Sorry, links to the CWGC don't work from Geoff's now? Go to the engine, and select the cemetery only, from the drop down selection. There are more than 600 entries. It's also possible to search by unit using the " Ship or Unit Text: " box

• Admin

If the links in Geoff's enginearen't working, go to the CWGC site, select Find War Dead and leave all the details blank apart from the cemetery name and for Regiment, start typing Royal Field Artillery. You should get 75 names. Then Export the data and open it in a spreadsheet to get all the details in one place.

date_of_death date_of_death2 rank regiment unitshipsquadron country servicenumber cemeterymemorial gravereference

22/03/1917 Serjeant Royal Garrison Artillery Ross Mountain Bty. Greece 300454 SARIGOL MILITARY CEMETERY, KRISTON C. 464.

24/11/1917 Corporal Royal Garrison Artillery 4th Heavy (Mountain) Bde. Greece 300033 SARIGOL MILITARY CEMETERY, KRISTON C. 436.

31/03/1917 Gunner Royal Garrison Artillery Ross Mountain Bty. Greece 301538 SARIGOL MILITARY CEMETERY, KRISTON C. 493.

26/06/1917 Gunner Royal Garrison Artillery Bute Bty. 4th (Highland) Mountain Bde. Greece 301232 SARIGOL MILITARY CEMETERY, KRISTON A. 117.

19/12/1916 Driver Royal Garrison Artillery Argyll Mountain Bty. Greece 300366 SARIGOL MILITARY CEMETERY, KRISTON C. 428.

04/02/1918 Gunner Royal Garrison Artillery Bute Bty. 4th (Highland) Mountain Bde. Greece 300698 SARIGOL MILITARY CEMETERY, KRISTON A. 50.

Hello Macduett,

I have been gathering information about the 4th Highland (Mountain) Brigade, RGA (TF) for a few years now. I have compiled a nominal roll which contains the following information:

McIndoe, Andrew #300366 Dvr – Born in Barony, he was formerly #1310 Lowland Howitzer Bde, RFA before being transferred to the HMB. Died 19 Dec 1916, buried at Sarigol Military Cemetery, Kriston, Greece, AMB (Died)

I am always looking for more information to include in the Nominal Roll and to add to the history I intend to write. Do you know if he died from Malaria as so many did? He was apparently assigned to the Argyll Mountain Battery while with the Brigade in Salonika. If you are searching for information, you should know that the Brigade was misnamed frequently in official records. There are records under the 4th Highland Mounted Brigade, the 4th Heavy Mountain Brigade, etc. They were a Royal Garrison Artillery unit (RGA). They were a mobilized Territorial Force (TF) unit as well which fought at Gallipoli and in Egypt prior to moving to Salonika in 1916. 118 NCO's and OR's died from this Brigade during the war and they were buried in Gallipoli, at sea, in Malta, in Egypt and in Greece as well as those few who were buried in the UK.

Please feel free to email or PM me if you have questions. I'll see if I can answer them.

Mike Morrison

p.s. We don't live that far apart.

Two additions to above list for that cemetery;

2590 John Currie, 3/10/1916

301055 John Hall 25/2/1917

You would find the likely path that your grandfather took by looking at the records of 300360 Frank Hunter, and 300369 James De Lacey ("Pension" records). Left Devonport 31/5/1916 arrived Alexandria 11/6/1916. Possibly left Alex. either 21/8/1918 or the 25/9/1916 and arrived Salonika about 4 days later.

Kevin

ps. Good to see your post Mike

How would I go about finding the pension records of 300360 Frank Hunter and 300369 James De Lacey? Is it safe to assume both men were assigned to the 4th Highland Mountain Brigade at a time very close to my Grandfather Andrew McIndoe 300366. I am curious if they both had previous numbers from other units as my grandfather 1310 4 lowland howitzer brigade.

Jim MacIndoe

To get De Lacey's record, (18 pages) subscribe to Ancestry.co.uk or go to your Library, where you should be able to access it for free. His record is here Click

I don't see McIndoe's record, but it could be indexed under a different number?

Ancestry also do free searches at certain times.

Mike

Quote, " I am curious if they both had previous numbers from other units as my grandfather 1310 4 lowland howitzer brigade."

Yes. Both 3/4 Lowland RFA gunners, as I suspect all those numbered between 300349 and 300371. Obviously they would have been renumbered with a 4 digit 4th Highland Mtn. Bde. number after transfer and as they would not have been renumbered again with the 6 digit number until 1917 it does beg the question of why 2590 J Currie did not have his number posthumously altered like your grandfather. The change certainly wasn't Jan 1st 1917 so there would still have been a gap before his new number was known. His likely number before that date, and possibly what was put on his first cross, was between 1498 and 1507.

Kevin

Gunner John Currie number 2590 RGA died at the age of 19. Was he a member of the 4th Highland Mountain Brigade or a 4th Lowland member? The early date of his death in 1916

and his regimental number makes me believe he might have been.

His SDGW entry would indicate that he was a 4th Highland Mountain Brigade RGA wheeler. His entry is 'died", as indeed your relatives is, which may indicate that it was health or accident related. The 2590 number would indicate he was a Bute Battery enlistee.

Kevin