Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

James Milner, 1st Baron Milner of Leeds Service in Great War

David_Blanchard

Trying to establish which units James Milner served. I think I have his MIC which suggests the RASC.

I have been led to believe he was transferred to the 2 Devons and was taken prisoner at the Bois des Buttes on the 27 May 1918.

I wonder if anyone could clarify this ?

David

Just found his obituary in the Times for July 1967, which confirms he was in the RASC then the Devonshire in which he was wounded, but the battalion of the Devons is not mentioned.

I can check later if Atkinson makes any mention. Is he the the same as Capt James Milner MC of the RASC, gazetted 14/1/1916. Gazette Issue 29438 published on the 11 January 1916. Page 18 of 56.

And then a bar to the MC Gazette Issue 31759 published on the 27 January 1920. Page 13 of 20.

Also mentioned under WR div transport & supply column to be adjutant. Gazette Issue 28906 published on the 18 September 1914. Page 20 of 72

TEW

I think you are correct. Thanks for looking this up. I think he is mentioned in Colwill's book on the 2nd Devons.

David

Hi David,

He is listed under 1st and 2nd Bns Devon Regt as a POW 27/5/18 (A.S.C..attached Devons) Released 6/2/18.

Kelly's 1935 has an entry which shows:

Major James Milner, M.C. and Bar, T.D., L.L.B. Served in the Great War 1914-19 (wounded, despatches) with R.A.S.C. and 2 Bn Devon Regt.

Hope this helps,

Robert

David,

Battalion diary for 2nd Devons has an entry:

2/5/18 Boutillerie (Billets)
Orders again cancelled. Transport rejoined from Soues area. Capt Openshaw, Capt J Milner MC, Capt EA Miller & Capt SH Parsloe joined Battn

Atkinson p355. Footnote.
Lists 23 officers killed or missing 27/5/18. Includes Milner, Rutledge, Burke and Clegg (see below).

Rutledge, Burke and Clegg were later identified in the battalion diary as being POWs, Milner is not mentioned. perhaps the RASC recieved a WO list identifing him as a POW.

31/7/18 Trenches
Lt. UB Burke MC officially accepted as POW in Germany (WO List 10/7/18). Lt. AE Rutledge reported missing 27-31/5/18 officially accepted as POW in Germany (WO LIst of 2/7/18).

11/9/18
Lt WL Clegg reported missing 27/5/18 officially accepted as POW.

TEW

Edited by TEW

• 2 weeks later...

I have tried various archives in Leeds concerning James Milner, but have yet to find a photograph of him from the Great War period.

I would appreciate any further suggestions.

David

• 1 year later...

David

I am James Milner's grand-daughter and can confirm, as others have, that he was in the 2nd Devons.

I have some photos, but not online I don't think, of him in his uniform. I will upload some in the next few days for you, if you would still like them.

Also, if you would like any more information about him, I may be able to help.

Kind regards

Geraldine