Remembered Today:

Planes destroyed by U-boats

Michael Lowrey

During the war, U-boats played a roll in the destruction or capture of at least five Allied aircraft. (I use the term "destruction" for a reason as most of these cases involve sinking disabled planes.) While I have some details, I was wondering if anyone could could provide the names of the crew, aircraft type, and squadron the aircraft were from. Here's what I know about the three cases involving British aircraft (the other two cases involved French planes):

July 24, 1916 off Zeebrugge, a seaplane made an emergency landing after taking hits from UC 10, seaplane towed in to Zeebrugge; crew rescued by U-boat

November, 28 1916 off Inner Gabbard LV, UC11 found seaplane #3324 at sea, sank it by machine gunfire; crew rescued by U-boat

May 25, 1917 off Westende. UB12 Short 184 #9060 forced down by aircraft of Betram Heinrich, plan sunk by machine gunfire from UB 12, crew rescued by U-boat

Thanks in advance,

Michael

During the war, U-boats played a roll in the destruction or capture of at least five Allied aircraft. (I use the term "destruction" for a reason as most of these cases involve sinking disabled planes.) While I have some details, I was wondering if anyone could could provide the names of the crew, aircraft type, and squadron the aircraft were from. Here's what I know about the three cases involving British aircraft (the other two cases involved French planes):

July 24, 1916 off Zeebrugge, a seaplane made an emergency landing after taking hits from UC 10, seaplane towed in to Zeebrugge; crew rescued by U-boat

November, 28 1916 off Inner Gabbard LV, UC11 found seaplane #3324 at sea, sank it by machine gunfire; crew rescued by U-boat

May 25, 1917 off Westende. UB12 Short 184 #9060 forced down by aircraft of Betram Heinrich, plan sunk by machine gunfire from UB 12, crew rescued by U-boat

Thanks in advance,

Michael

G'day Michael

I only have the details of the 24 July action

July 24, 1916. Short 830 Serial No. 819 crew, Flt Lt. JF Bailey/ Flt Lt. FW Mardock both POW.

Regards,

Andrew

Michael

Short 3324 from RNAS Felixstowe was crewed by FSLt G Llewellyn-Davies and Lt A C Steven when forced to alight on 28 November 1916.

Short 184 9060 from (perhaps) RNAS Dunkirk was crewed by FLt C Laurence and FSLt L J Bennett when forced down on 25 May 1917.

Cheers

Gareth