Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

MGC Number

Guest john craven

Guest john craven

I am trying to trace my Grand father 37637 Pte M Youngman MGC. He transfered from 1/4 Duke of wellingtons (147 Bde) in 1916. I have been told that the MGC Number was too early for January 1916. (147 MG Coy)

Does anyone know the approx date of issue.

John Craven

Hi John

147 Brigade M.G.C. was formed from the 49 West Riding Division in Januaray 11th 1916 and in March 1st 1918 moved to no 49 Bn M.G.C. that's all I have got Sorry

Cheers

Brian

John

I'll quote you from the 1/4th Dukes Official History.

"About this time the 147th Infantry Brigade Machine Gun Company was formed. Until then machine guns had been battalion weapons. In future they were to be the arm of a seperate unit. To form the company certain officers and other ranks were taken from each battalion of the Brigade. Lt G W I Learoyd, 2nd Lt F Chisnall, six NCOs and twenty privates were sent by the battalion."

Perhaps your grandfather was among the other ranks mentioned.

Regards

Rob

Guest john craven

Thanks for the above, I have the 1/4 Duke of Wellingtons war diary for Wormhoudt 23 January 1916 mentioning men sent to Brigade Machine Gun Company.

I searched the PRO, but nothing found for MGC.

John Craven

Guest Ian Bowbrick

John,

I have just checked on my database and the nearest entry I have to your grandfather no. is 37684 Pte Tom Ritchie MGC who was Para 392.

My wife's grandfather was 33081 MGC - he transferred from the Royal Irish Fusiliers in January 1916 and left Grantham in July 1916 bound for Mespot if this helps.

Your best bet is to ask Phil McCarthy, staffsyeoman, on this forum, or contact the MGC Old Comarades Association and speak to Jim Parker.

Hope this helps.

Ian

:)

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Hello John,

Sorry I cannot reply to your e-mail off forum but my e-mail is playing up!

Para 392 means that the soldier was discharged as a result of wounds, sickness or time served ie the time for which he had signed on for had expired. In the case of Pte Ritchie he was wounded by gsw to both eyes. (GSW=gun shot wound).

Ian :)

John,

You may already have done this, but if not contact Jim Parker of the MGCOCA (http://www.mgcorps.ndirect.co.uk/research.html).

A couple of years ago I contacted him regarding a couple of men who'd formerly been in the Sherwood Foresters and he did a brilliant job on sorting out dates etc. from the soldiers number alone. Highly recommended.

Good luck,

Andrew

Guest john craven

Thank you for your offers of help on this subject. I have contacted Jim Parker and he guessed that the number could have been issued in June 1916. I am sending Jim photo copies of my medal rolls this weekend so I may hear from him in a week or so.

Again many thanks to you all for your help.

John Craven