Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Can anyone help me identify helmet/ unit British brodie?

thatoneguy011

Hey out there.

I recently acquired this helmet. I'm trying to learn about all the items I come across. Through my research I believe this a WWI brodie. The red insignia on the front is what I can't find anything about. It almost looks like the British artillery insignia, but i'm trying to see if any one knows any thing more about this. I'd love to learn some more info on it.

thanks,

this is the British insignia I thought it was similar to

No image to look at but a 'rule of thumb' when first looking for a british brodie helmet is that the edge rim join should overlap at the join if there is no edge rim it may be a rarer example, the chinstrap should be leather and be attached at each side to a wire staple this is in turn attached to the helmet each side by a split pin with edges to the underside. The center area of the strap is attached to the bowl as is the liner with a copper rivet which is visible from the outside (top) of the bowl. The liner is black waterproof linen/canvas and the head cushion is composed of a ring an two layer of material. I hope that this is of some use to you and makes sense, as I know I have probably used all the wrong terms this being off the 'top of my head' (no pun intended). I apologize to helmet collectors who can, I am sure give a better description.

khaki

Yep, WW1 Brodie and appears to be the Royal Field Artillery badge.

Regards,

Sean.

As a matter of interest, when did the appellation "Brodie" come into such frequent popular use ?

As far as I know, it was never used in Great War, nor until this pattern of helmet finally disappeared from British armed forces use in the 1960's. Throughout my researches - if they can be called that - from the 1950s until the 1990s, I never recall the term being used except in very specific discussions about the development of equipment.

And yet now it seems sine qua non to use the term.

For some reason, the Adrian was different - it seems that this name has long been used.

As a matter of interest, when did the appellation "Brodie" come into such frequent popular use ?

We had that back in September with the topic "A helmet by any other name"

G

I was probably in Le Mans at the time.

The Lost 24 hours?

Out of interest, and relevance to the thread, how common was it to stencil regimental insignia to a steel helmet? More common with Corps and Services than front-line units?

This could possibly be a Canadian issue helmet. In my collection I have a Canadian helmet in the same grey colour with a battalion marking in exactly the same pattern of stencil.

This could possibly be a Canadian issue helmet. In my collection I have a Canadian helmet in the same grey colour with a battalion marking in exactly the same pattern of stencil.

Kaiser's Bunker has the following:

http://www.kaisersbunker.com/cef/helmets/

"A GOC, 3rd Div, dated 18 Nov 1918 ordered that all helmets in the 4th Canadian Division were to be collected at Battalion level and be painted grey. The unit cap badges were then applied in paint with stencils. A fellow collector, John Pierson, contacted me with his astute observation that the color of the stenciled badge on 3rd Division grey painted helmets seems to correspond to the brigade and to the patch color. I.E.. for a 7th brigade's which has a green shape above a grey rectangle, the stenciled badge is also green. Red shape above a grey rectangle has a stencil in red etc."

Little scamp.

• 1 month later...

Thank you al for your help. It was a Canadian royal artillery. I wasn't trying to trick you out of the information. I buy and sell as a hobby and as extra income. When no one can tell me about an piece of history the only place I can find out is through the internet. So thank you all for your help. I'm learning a lot through this trade. Being only 16 and with no one in my city to teach me, you guys are my teachers. Thank you.

...I'm learning a lot through this trade. Being only 16 and with no one in my city to teach me, you guys are my teachers. Thank you...

Given it sold for US$423.27 (a little over £255 by my reckoning), perhaps a donation towards the running cost of the forum which is populated by those that helped you would be in order...?

That is a very good point. Because I do plan on using this forum to help me out, every time I get something correctly identified thanks to all of you here, I will donate $10 to the cause in help.