Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Calling Enoch (S)

Desmond7

Any chance of a DCM lookup - he later becomes an officer. But don't know about the DCM ... and if any Canadians have a picture it would be appreciated.

SERGEANT John McDowell, who is in the Machine Gun Company of the Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry is at present home on a short leave with his relatives who reside at Kinhilt Street, ballymena. For bravery in the field in the recent heavy engagement at Ypres in which the Canadians took part, he has been recommended for the Distinguished Conduct medal and was granted special leave. His brother, Pte. Hugh McDowell of the Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers died from wounds recently in a French Hospital.

Ballymena Observer, June 23, 1916

Des, I'm assuming this is the fellow you're asking about from Antrim, attestation papers. He originally enlisted with the 101st Battalion (Winnipeg, Manitoba). I looked through Riddle & Mitchell's DCM book and the only one awarded to a McDowell was to Sjt. Carl McDowell, attestation papers, in 1916.

He could have received a Military Medal instead?

• 5 years later...

I have a partial record and photo for 701007, John McDowell. He attested to the 101st Battalion, CEF on January 28, 1916. He was assigned to D Company, 16th Platoon. He went overseas with the 101st in late June 1916, aboard the SS Olympic. The 101st was absorbed by the 17th Reserve Battalion on July 13, 1916. McDowell was posted to the 85th Battalion on July 11, 1917. He won the Military Medal at Bourlon Wood. He was wounded at Cambrai on September 29, 1918. His name appears in the 85th Bn War Diary, September 1918 Casualties Appendix. The WD may also have his MM citation, but I admit I haven't yet looked that far. Here's his photo, taken at McGregor Armoury in Winnipeg in late March 1916.

McDowellJ.jpg

Cheers, Jim, Winnipeg