Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Y/253 Rfn Percy C FIELDING King's Royal Rifle Corps

gabbygabby40

Had this medal and wound badge for some time.....y253 pte P.C Fielding and wound badge rn 5281 i know nothing other than that they came from Cleveleys lancashire....cheers for any help...

Silver War Badge 5281 (no prefix) relates to Pte 2454 Michael Keighery Irish Guards served 22/11/1905 - 6/6/1915 discharged = wounds. Went to France 13 8 1914.

wow! cheers guys....... gives me something to go on....:)

If you contact the Irish Guards Records office you will probably find his record, these were not held in the same place as the records destroyed in the Blitz.

Rfn Percy C FIELDING, Y/253 (incorrectly indexed as '7253' on Ancestry), King's Royal Rifle Corps

Embarkation Date: 29 Nov 1914 meaning he would have joined 1st or 2nd battalions. 3rd and 4th battalions did not embark until 20 Dec 1914 (they had been in India). No other battalions went out until 1915.

Embarkation was after 22/23 Nov, so entitlement to 1914-15 Star only.

1/KRRC were in Reserve at Caestre 18 Nov to 22 Dec 1914.

2/KRRC were also refitting at Hazebrouck from 22 Nov to 21 Dec 1914.

Both battalions received drafts during this period.

The Y prefix suggests a Special Reservist or enlistment under the Short Service terms

Discharged to Class Z Army Reserve, so could not have been awarded a Silver War Badge. No sign of him in the KRRC's SWB roll anyway.

Could not find a Service Record.

Unlikely to get an individual mention in war diaries etc. unless he won a gallantry award, but will have a quick look tomorrow.

His trio is all on KRRC medal rolls, so no chance he served in any of the Guards.

1st Btn, Irish Guards were in 2nd Division together with 1/KRRC - that's a possible link, albeit somewhat tenuous.

many many many thx .thanks for all your effort....Tony

• spof changed the title to Y/253 Rfn Percy C FIELDING King's Royal Rifle Corps
  • 5 months later...

Hello! Arriving a little late (several years) to this discussion, but I think Percy Charles Fielding was my grandfather. I came across this forum while searching for some more information on him for my father (who is 86). I know he fought in the war and had shrapnel in his elbow, which he used to let the kids touch.

Any info appreciated, thanks,

Sarah

• Admin

Welcome to the forum. gabbygabby40 hasn't logged into the forum since 2014. After you have made two posts, you have access to private messages. You can attempt to contact them that way. If they're still using the same email address as they used to register here, they should receive the message.

Michelle 

On 08/12/2013 at 14:37, gabbygabby40 said:

Had this medal and wound badge for some time.....y253 pte P.C Fielding and wound badge rn 5281 i know nothing other than that they came from Cleveleys lancashire....cheers for any help...

I don't know which medal gabbygabby40 had but I have Percy Fielding's British War Medal in my collection. I shall not be giving it up any time soon but if Sarah would like to get in touch with me I would be prepared to put her name and address with the medal so that it gets back to the family eventually.

6 hours ago, Sarita said:

Hello! Arriving a little late (several years) to this discussion, but I think Percy Charles Fielding was my grandfather. I came across this forum while searching for some more information on him for my father (who is 86). I know he fought in the war and had shrapnel in his elbow, which he used to let the kids touch.

Any info appreciated, thanks,

Sarah

If you can tell us everything you know about him...birth date and place,family members,where he lived etc we might be able to find info from a variety of sources...no guarantees, but its always worth a try.

Sarita - got your PM.  I could not find more on Percy Fielding back in 2013, but as that was seven years back, I'll have a look again after the New Year celebrations.

Mark

After a quick check I can certainly add that Y/253 Rfn Percy FIELDING served in 2/KRRC (2 Brigade, 1st Division).

His British War Medal & Victory Medal roll entry has three separate entries, but they are all for 2/KRRC.

Typically this implies a man has had spells off the strength of a battalion and this typically was due to being repatriated to the UK following a wound or sickness, where he would be put on the strength of the Rifle Depot or one of the UK-based Reserve battalions.

Percy's three entries suggests he was wounded and returned to Blighty at least twice.

Do you have Percy's date of birth?

Mark

Edited by MBrockway