Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

MC winner photograph

Matt Dixon

Can anyone tell me anything about the photo of the MC winner below?

I believe it's a Fusiliers regiment of some description, but can anyone tell me anything else about this chap?

Thanks

post-1-1096399846.jpg

Which Fusilier regt had the tallest flame on their grenade badge? That one is immense!

No real help but it may start something!

I know more about particle physics and brain surgery than I do about Fusiliers badges....is that a big one?

Munsters and Inniskillings both go broad, Dubs and R.Irish slightly taller ... but that is one pretty high 'flame' looking at the collar badge. Can post badges of regts. I mentioned so you can rule them out ... but not much point.

A foreign branch of the fusiliers?

I'll see what I can do with the buttons, probably not before tomorrow now though.....

I think actually he's an artillery officer. Given that he is wearing 'full dress', the tunic looks too dark to be red and is therefore probably blue. The collar badge is exactly RA (though I can't remember difference between theirs & RE ones). It must have been taken after about 1919 since he has his 1WW service medals as well as an OBE. Rank looks like lieutenant.

Haven't got a clue about the Regiment, but he's a Lieutenant.... not that that helps much!

Has anyone else noticed the "odd" striping on his BWM or is it just me???? Should be blue - narrow black - white - orange - white - narrow black - blue, but it looks like there's more lighter stripes than there should be.

Porbably just me :ph34r:

Les.

Got him!!!!!!!!!!

2nd Lt Harold James Plenderleith.... Lancashire Fusiliers.

Awarded MC (as per LG 19/4/18)..... LG Citation

All I did was was look up "Fusilier" & "MC" on the on-line MICs..... went through looking for Lt's or 2nd Lt's....... a qucik check on the London Gazette and voila!!!!

Enjoy

(I'm off to be smug... never found anyone on the LG before)

Les.

I was going along with the others assumptions that he was fusiliers, due to the collar emblems..... seems logical :ph34r:

I didn't think Artillery had that sort of emblem - even officers. :unsure:

OK.... smug mode over.... anyone got any humble pie??? I'm feeling peckish

Les.

langleybaston raised a good point. That "thingy" he is wearing over his left shoulder is a RA pouchbelt in gold lace, the same pattern as the one I own.

I cannot see any device on his collar grenades and all the fusilier regts wore one. (in the 1900 regs anyway)

The only ones not to wear a device on their grenades are the Scots Greys, RA and RE. The RE had a smaller badge, and it is definately not the Greys! I would agree with Julianb et. al. and opt for RA although the buttons seem a little questionable. Given the other indications, especially the pouchbelt, the probably "blue" tunic, etc, I think your man is a gunner.

DrB

:rolleyes:

It never ceases to astound me, the depth of knowledge on this forum.

Thankyou all gents for your contributions, I am pleased the photo has provoked such interest!

Sadly my scanner has done a Titanic and sunk without trace so I can't help with a close up of the buttons.

What did one have to do to be awarded the OBE/MBE?

CBE OBE MBE were linked to rank, not virtue, eg in recent years field officers clicked for OBE, and captains and below MBE. Just doing a good job and being noticed seemed to work in my time. And surviving.

Just for comparison, the attached is a scan of the collar brass from my grandfather's WWI service uniform (RGA).

Mike Morrison

I tried to enter OBE (but maybe should have tried MBE), MC, Lieutenant, Artillery in the Gazette on line, but it didn't work. Nevertheless there must be some sort of database that would have these elements in - don't forget that he was also MiD.

Try the RA Museum (now called "Firepower" !) or RA Assn.

(let us know if - & how - you ever identify him)

good luck

CBE OBE MBE were linked to rank, not virtue, eg in recent years field officers clicked for OBE, and captains and below MBE. Just doing a good job and being noticed seemed to work in my time. And surviving.

Up to the changes made by John Major when the British Empire Medal was abolished, a MBE could be awarded to a Warrant Officer Class II.

By the way is not the OBE worn around the neck

Arnie