Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Having trouble finding this lad

museumtom

Irish Times, March 21, 1918.

Roll of Honour.

Price-Died of wounds received in action, Charles Leslie, Second Lieutenant Royal Irish Regiment,

dearly loved younger son of Dr Arthur G Price, and Mrs Price, Victoria, British Columbia (formerly of Greystones), aged 33.

MIC is interesting; shows him in the Canadian Navy before swapping to the Army.

1901 census

mother from Brazil?

Charles and brother both born England

Baptism

IMR

Name: Charles Leslie Price

Regiment: Royal Irish Regiment, 1st Batt

Death Date: 15 Mar 1918

SDGW

Name: Charles Leslie Price

Death Date: 15 Mar 1918

Regiment: Royal Irish Regiment

Battalion: 1st Battalion

Type of Casualty: Died of wounds

CWGC

Findagrave

IGP REDFORD CEMETERY, GREYSTONES, CO.WICKLOW. PART ONE NOS. 1 - 150

No.147

2nd Lieut. CHARLES LESLIE PRICE | Royal Irish Regiment | younger son of ARTHUR

and LOTTIE PRICE | laid down his life for his country | in Palestine 15th March

1918 aged 23 | PRICE FAMILY PLOT.

2 other WW1 era Price deaths recorded in the plot but not sure how they are related.

There is a photo of the plot in this PDF

Brother married in 1919 so survived the war if he served

Thanks Johnnie. Great hits again, much appreciated!!

Kind regards.

Tom.

• 2 weeks later...

hope your Xmas and New Year went well!

Just looking up this chap

Weekly Irish Times, March 15, 1919.
Roll of Honour.
Claiton-March 4, 1919, in France, of pneumonia, Maurice Herbert Claiton, Lieutenant, R.I.R., son of Mrs H J Claiton, “St George’s.” Killiney.

and having no luck anywhere with this surname in Ireland. Any chance you can check and confirm the surname?

Johnny

• 4 weeks later...

Tom, I've only just found this thread - it didn't appear to be relevant to any of my research at first. I've just done a search on the name Captain Andrew Eric Hamilton-Agnew and found your post.

I can help you a bit as he is buried in the churchyard of Weston Turville, Bucks. In 2002 I researched our local War Memorial and had some names added - Captain Hamilton-Agnews name was amongst those. There is a photo of the War Memorial on our website www.buckinghamshireremembers.org.uk and also a photo of his grave, which is a family one rather than CWGC. He lived at the Manor House in Weston Turville - not Tring. In the censuses Weston Turville is often described as being Tring (Herts).

He married 5 Jun 1918, (shortly before he died) Miss Marian Roseanna Neilson Hedderwick (Maisie) who was the daughter of the late Thomas CH Hedderwick and Jemima JE Hedderwick (both born in Scotland). They lived at Biggar Park and Weston Turville Manor House, so presumably they were living with Maisie's mother whilst Andrew was a Recruiting Officer in Aylesbury. His name appears on many of the Attestation Papers of the local recruits.

Andrew's name is included in CWGC but it can only be found by putting in Hamilton-Agnew (with a hyphen). I think it can be found in ODGW by using the surname of Agnew.

I believe there is a photograph of Andrew in the Bucks Advertiser but I don't have this yet.

I hope this helps

June

Thank you most kindly for all your help, it is very much appreciated!. Here are a few bits on him from the Irish papers;-The Irish Times, November 3, 1921. Roll of Honour. In Memoriam. Agnew-In loving memory-November 3, 1918, at Manor House, Tring, Bucks, of septic pneumonia, Andrew Eric Hamilton Agnew, Captain, 3rd R.D.F., (attached). The Forces, Great Britain (Eric), dearly loved only child of E G H Agnew and Mrs Agnew, 66 Upper Leeson Street, Dublin.

The Irish Times, Novembr 3, 1924. Roll of Honour.(1914-1918). In Memoriam. Agnew-In loving memory-November 3, 1918, at Manor House, Tring, Bucks, of septic pneumonia, Andrew Eric Hamilton Agnew, Captain, 3rd R.D.F., (attached), The Forces, Great Britain (Eric), dearly loved only child of A G H Agnew and Mrs Agnew, 66 Upper Leeson Street, Dublin.

Kind regards.

Tom.

Below (Carson) Unfindable, IFCP?
The Weekly Irish Times. Saturday, June 9, 1917.
Officer Rescued by Lady.

Miss Marjory Boyd, masseuse at a military hospital, was congratulated by the jury at Weybridge, after relating how she rescued Lieutenant Hunter, R.F.C., when his comrade. Lieutenant Carson, R.F.C., of South Croydon was drowned. The officers were punting on the Thames when, in changing places, Hunter overbalanced and fell into the water. Unable to get the ount around, Carson dived in after his comrade, but disappeared. Miss Boyd, who was in a punt, put it towards Hunter, but he was by this time unconscious. Miss Boyd thereupon jumped into the river, and caught his outstretched arm after he had sunk twice. She got him to the punt and held on until further assistance arrived. A verdict of accidental drowning was returned in the case of Lieutenant Carson.

Looks like Lt Carson was Lt R S (Roy Septimas) Carlton based on June 7th 1917 edition of Flight Magazine

http://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/view/1917/1917%20-%200566.html

http://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/367721/CARLTON,%20R%20S

Served as a Private with Honourable Artillery Co before being commissioned into the South Lancs. Mother and brothers were born in Dublin according to 1901 English census; he was born in Teddington.

Captain Guy F Luther.
Captain Guy F Luther, who had been killed in action at the Dardanelles, was a medical officer attached to the Australian Imperial Forces. He was the youngest son of the late Canon J F Luther, of Ballyorgan Rectory, County Limerick.

Appears to be this chap (based on text of Heroes All: Central Queenslanders who Gave Their Lives Serving the Empire By Bronwyn Tarrie)

http://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/606079/LUTHER,%20JOHN%20FITZMAURICE%20GUY

A suggestion that he was born in Dublin

http://www.anzacs.org/pages/AOluther.html

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FP13-1VY

His parents were married in Dublin and you can see how Captain Luther got his names

http://churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/details/8d7a9e0581800

Tom

A little bit more information to that you already have re Thomas Milliken from the Scottish Statutory Records : -

Name : Thomas Milliken aged 23 years

Date of Death : 13th. July 1917 at 00.40 p.m. at Ruchill Hospital

Usual Address : 17 Elderslie Street, Glasgow

Parents : Thomas Henry Milliken : Grain storekeeper (deceased) & Sarah Milliken m.s. Nicholson (deceased)

Cause of death : Pulmonary Tuberculosis, Emphysema right plural cavity

Witness : Sarah Marshall (sister) of 17 Elderslie Street, Glasgow

There is no record of him on the Glasgow Roll of Honour and the Scottish National War Memorial site (which may confirm his place of birth in Ireland) is down at the moment

Douglas

Thank you Douglas, much appreciated.

Tom.

• 11 months later...
Guest andwhiteside

I spoke about Jack Salter this week at Kilkenny College, his alma mater, and will do so again in St Patrick's Cathedral at 7 p.m. on 3 February. I have met his daughter in England and she has many cuttings about his experience as a prisoner of war.

Salter-July 1-2 (1916), killed in action, Second Lieutenant John William Salter, Royal Irish Rifles, son of Philip and Mrs Salter, Skibbereen.

1911 census has a Philip Salter in Skibbereen

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Cork/Skibbereen_Urban/North_Street/441518/

1901 has Philip with a son John William Salter

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Cork/Skibbereen_Urban/North_Street/1155473/

Believe that Salter was captured and that this is him relinquishing his commission in 1920

http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/31889/supplements/5221

• 3 months later...
Guest ramecottage

I am the grandaughter of W A Morris and neice of W O E Morris (Liverpool Regt) My grandfather was awarded his MC for action at Gallipoli. His medals, swagger stick and silver sword are housed in the Inniskillings museum in Enniskilling N, Ireland. My grandfather had a military funeral and is buried in Enniskilling .My uncle was killed and buried at Ypres .

Any further info and pictures of the family on various postings are at the museum

• 3 years later...

Following school at Campbell College John Hyndman Watson studied medicine at the University of Edinburgh, where he is commemorated on their Roll of Honor. Cannot ascertain a graduation date so far but imagine as he left school in 1904 that he had graduated before the outbreak of war. He was the youngest of 6 children and only son. His commemorative plaque hung in our house for many years which finally prompted my search and visit to Ploegsteert Belgium some years ago. John

9 minutes ago, John Wilson said:

Following school at Campbell College John Hyndman Watson studied medicine at the University of Edinburgh, where he is commemorated on their Roll of Honor. Cannot ascertain a graduation date so far but imagine as he left school in 1904 that he had graduated before the outbreak of war. He was the youngest of 6 children and only son. His commemorative plaque hung in our house for many years which finally prompted my search and visit to Ploegsteert Belgium some years ago. John

According to Britain School & University Memorial Rolls 1914-1918;

Campbell College, Belfast; First XV. and XI. Student of Medicine, 1908-12. OTC Medical, April 1908 to November 1912, Cadet Corporal. 1sth Royal Scots, December 1914; Sergeant 1915. France; Battle of the Somme, 1916. Wounded at Arras 1917. Killed near Armentieres on 9th April 1918.

Sorry for not replying sooner lads, I did not see this post until now. Many thanks for all your help.

Kind regards.

Tom.