Remembered Today:

Having trouble finding this lad

museumtom

Thank you Johnnie.

Much appreciated.

Kind regards.

Tom.

In Memoriam.

O’Donnell-In loving memory of Fred (formerly of Sligo, and Captain R.A.M.C), who died of wounds, in France, March 23rd, 1918. “Resurgam.”

Sligo

O’Donnell-March 23, 1918, died of wounds, Dr Frederick Albert O’Donnell, late Captain. R.A.M.C, son of the late John O’Donnell, of Sligo, husband of Estelle O’Donnell (presently V.A.D. France).

Think there's a bit of a story to get to the bottom of here but doubt it'll ever fully come to light. Think your man was RAMC, got into some sort of trouble and enlisted as a Private in the RDF with whom he was serving when he died. (could be totally wrong here though)

British Medical Journal gives full name as Frederick Albert O'Donnell, 23rd March 1918 and gives link to Sligo

BMJ Roll of Honour

Temp Lt 15th March 1916

An MIC on Ancestry for an F A O'Donnell RAMC shows no medals but has an entry re Suspense List

Marriage in Dublin

Wife would appear to be Estelle Coogan

Captain Frederick Albert O'Donnell, R.A.M.C., who has died of wounds, was the younger surviving son of the late Mr. John O'Donnell, of Sligo. He was educated at Summerhill College, Sligo and a graduate of the Royal College of Surgeons of Ireland. Previous to joining the Army he practised at Westport.

SDGW :

Name: Frederick Albert O'donnell

Birth Place: Sligo

Death Date: 23 Mar 1918

Death Location: France & Flanders

Enlistment Location: Dublin

Regiment: Royal Dublin Fusiliers

Battalion: 1st Battalion

Number: 30491

Type of Casualty: Died of wounds

Theatre of War: Western European Theatre

IMR shows above as aged 34; born Sligo

23rd March 1918

<a data-ipb="nomediaparse" data-cke-saved-href="http://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/572377/O" href="http://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/572377/O" donnell,%20f%20a"="">Bray War Memorial

Weekly Irish Times, Februrary 22, 1919.
St Lawrence-February 12, 1919, Charles Frederick, son of the late William Lloyd and Elizabeth St Lawrence, from injuries contracted on active service.

Possibly 61067 Charles Frederick St Lawrence RAMC. Born Dublin living in Hornsey. Discharged in August 1917 with varicose veins (aggravated by but not caused by service) First child born in Dublin in 1900; subsequent children born in Hornsey.

Name: Charles William Frederick St. Lawrence Gender: Male Birth Date: 29 Aug 1874 Birth Place: No 3 South City, Dub, Ireland Baptism Place: No 3 South City, Dub, Ireland Father's Name: William Lloyd St. Lawrence Mother's Name: Eliza Johanna Parke

Name: Charles F W St Lawrence Birth Date: abt 1875 Date of Registration: Mar 1919 Age at Death: 44 Registration District: Leicester Inferred County:

Leicestershire

Mount Jerome

No.4712
Erected by | their loving brother JAMES | In Fond Remembrance of | WILLIE LLOYD
| youngest son of | (WILLIAM & LIZZIE ST. LAWRENCE) | 41 South Circular road |
who died April 20th 1878, aged 13 months | Also MABEL who fell asleep in Jesus
| May 2nd 1878, aged 17 years | "Far from a world of grief and sin | with God
eternally shut in" | also EVA who was taken home | unspotted from the world |
March 5th 1884 aged 19 years | "Not gone from memory, not gone from love | but
gone to their Father's Home above" | Also | JAMES ALFRED | died Novr. 7th 1888,
aged 26 years | "A light is from our household gone. | A voice we loved is
stilled | A place is vacant in our home | which never can be filled" |
"Faithful unto death" | Also their loving father | WILLIAM LLOYD ST. LAWRENCE |
died Novbr. 20th 1905, aged 76 years | "Peace Perfect Peace with loved ones far
away" | Also their loving mother | LIZZIE PARKE ST. LAWRENCE | who was taken
home 28th Dec. 1917 | "Without fault, before the throne of God"

No.4713
Also on number 4712: (ST. LAWRENCE) | also CHAS FREDK | died 12th Feb. 1919 |
from illness contracted | on Active Service | aged 44 years

Monaghan…IFCP.
McCleery-May 4, from illness contracted on active service, George Francis, son of the late John McCleery, Cornawall, County Monaghan.

This is no 1343 (later 550317) George McCleery who enlisted in the 2nd London Divisional Engineers 19th Sept 1914, aged 25. Living in East Dulwich at the time. Father is listed as above name and address.

Discharged no longer physically fit 12/6/1917. I cannot make out what is written in his pension record at the moment but there is a note to say as result of active service. There is also a note to say this pensioner died 4th May 1918.

Parents in 1911 census

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Monaghan/Drum/Cornawall/806715/

The family in 1901 census

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Monaghan/Drum/Cornawall/1633819/

Thank you Johnnie, what a great bit of digging! Well done and thank you most kindly. I will add them tot he relevant counties.

Kind regards.

Tom.

War Office: Service Medal and Award Rolls Index, First World War. Medal card of McElheron, Hugh. Corps Regiment No Rank West Yorkshire Regiment 12076 Private. Royal Engineers WR/276750 Sapper. Royal Engineers 309000 Sapper.

McElheron-April 25(1918), Sapper Hugh; killed in action, son of the late Hugh McElheron, Stationmaster, Newcastle.

IMR has his Killed in Action 25/4/1918 but no details other than Sapper.

The family in 1901 census. Hugh sr died 1905

His brother and sister are in Wicklow in 1911 but no sign of Hugh

The MIC has Deserted crossed out and then what looks like REstored against one of the medal rolls. Nothing matching on CWGC that I can see.

Odd this one.

Thank Johnnie. I found his pre war RAMC service in FMP, born in Wicklow and lived in Dublin. I presume he then went into reserve and got a new number afterwards. We could spend all Christmas on this lad, he has to be an IFCP contender.

Will keep digging.

Weekly Irish Times, September 14, 1918.
Burke-September 1, 1918, killed in action, Second Lieutenant John W Burke, R.I.Rifles, son of the late Dr Richard Burke, Deputy Inspector General, R.N.

Decided to follow the father (who I think is John Richard Burke, son of Richard Charles Burke and Mary Louisa Toler, Douglas, Co Cork) as there had been a thread about this chap before that didn't come to a conclusion

Royal Navy according to the Medical Register : 18th May 1861 MDQ Univ Irel; Lic R Coll Sur Ireland 1862
1876 footnote on page 1 promotion to Staff Surgeon
Staff surgeon to fleet surgeon 1883
Dr John Richard Burke retires 1883
1901 census the family is in Dublin including 6 year old John William who appears to be the youngest son
There is a J W Burke in the list of Officer Prisoners of War. Possibly our man? If so, that would tally with the medal applications mentioned on the previous thread. But, nothing on marriage, death, family trees etc to confirm this.
The grandmother and family in 1901
remains of the family in 1911 in Cork

I share your frustration on this one Johnnie. Like your self no matter what 'tweaking' I did nothing concrete appears. I see he is in the London Gazette;

www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/29265/supplements/8143/page.pdf

i have seen POWs listed as KIA is the past. They usually appear and are released long after the death notice is in the papers. Did the POW report date from September 1918? It would appear either he survived the war or is IFCP.

I think you have done him proud by not giving up on him, and I thank you for all your help also.

Kindest regards.

Tom.

Looks very interesting. Perhaps?

First Name(s):J. W.

Last Name:Burke

Service:7/8th Battalion. Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers

Section:WESTERN THEATRE OF OPERATIONS.

Date Missing:01/09/1918

Repatriated:16/12/1918

Notes:Attached From Royal Irish Fusiliers.

there is a promotion to Temp Lt in 1919 for a J W Burke, Royal Irish Rifles. Potentially tallying with the MIC for the JW Burke RAMC and then RIR

http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/31631/supplements/13536

The addresses on the MIC may hold clues

1/ Red Cross Auxiliary Hospital for Officers, The Lodge, Parkstone, Dorset

2/ 18 Mountjoy Square, Dublin

3/ 55 Cornwall Gardens, London, SW7

Possibly John William Burke @ Clongowes in the 1911 census

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Kildare/Balraheen/Castlebrown__or_Clongowes_/539762/

Nice bit of detective work yet again, thanks Johnnie!

Weekly Irish Times, September 20, 1919.

Roll of Honour.

Dobbin-July 16, 1919, killed in action, near Fort Sandeman, Baluchistan, Second Lieutenant Fergus Le Fanu Dobbin.

6th Gurkha Rifles, aged 19 years, son of Lieutenant Colonel W J K Dobbin, (L.A.), late of Rahara, Bray.

In De Ruvigny with his brother Robert Alexander Sheridan Dobbin, sons of Lt Col William James Knowles Dobbin of Bray. Both sons born in India; educated at Aravon, Bray amongst other places.

Fergus :

Robert :

Father's baptism in Dublin

1919 award to the father

Picture of the father in 1897 as a Captain

Both sons on the Aravon School memorial

Sorry about that Johnnie, I should have found him. Many thanks for sticking with it.

Kind regards.

Tom.

Wicklow.

The Irish Times, August 16, 1922.

Roll of Honour.

In Memoriam.

Elmitt-In ever loving memory of George C Elmitt, Lieutenant, Royal Irish Rifles, missing near Ypres,

August 16th, 1917.

Definite link to Co Wicklow for this chap though he seems to have been born in Co Antrim

IMR

Name: George Carleton Brooksley Elmitt

Regiment: 7th Royal Irish Rifles

Death Date: 16 Aug 1917

Birth Place: Ireland

SDGW

Name: George Carleton Brooksley Elmitt

Death Date: 16 Aug 1917

Regiment: Royal Irish Rifles

Battalion: 7th Battalion

Type of Casualty: Killed in action

MIC

mother applies for medals. Address 3 Milward Terrace, Mearte Rd, BRay, Co Wicklow

Thanks Johnnie, I found him afterwards in guess what? The Wicklow War Dead. I need to be shot.

ELMITT, GEORGE CARLETON BROOKSBY. Rank: Second Lieutenant. Regiment or Service: Royal Irish Rifles. Unit: 7th Bn. Date of Death: 16/08/1917. Age at Death; 19. Killed in Action. Supplementary information; Son of Austina W. Elmitt, of 3, Milward Terrace, Meath Rd, Bray, Co. Wicklow, and the late Lt. Col. George Edward Brooksby Elmitt. Grave or Memorial Reference: He has no known grave but is listed on Panel 138 to 140 and 162 to 162A and 163A. on the Tyne Cot Memorial in Belgium. He is also listed on the Bray Memorial.

Many thanks.

Kind regards.

Tom.

Sure the author wouldnt be talking to the likes of us, he's a cranky ould git.

authors eh, temperamental. ;-)

Weekly Irish Times, October 18, 1919.
Roll of Honour.
Grey-October 11, 1919, at King George V Hospital, Dublin, from injuries received on active service, George Grey, R.F.A., aged 23,
eldest son of Mr and Mrs Grey, Youghal.
Has this chap gone thru the IFCP?
Possible census records for him
1901 census
1911 census
Medal Card for 31196, RFA. states died 11th Oct 1919. Mother, Mrs A Grey, applied for medals with address Nelson Place in Youghal
Don't see a death registration for him.

Roscommon.

Weekly Irish Times, October 18, 1919.

Roll of Honour.

Watson-Missing April 9---, 1918, now officially reported killed in action near Armentieres, John Hyndman Watson, 15th Royal Scots Service Battalion, son of the late Rev. John Watson, B.A., and of Mrs Watson, Drumderrig, Boyle.

1911 census

1901 census

Living in Edinburgh, Medical Student when he enlisted in the Royal Scots, No 20076

Letter to his mother Elizabeth Jane Watson re disposal of medals.Postmark Jun 1920. Father deceased.

Thanks Johnnie, I also received the following from Keith Hayines from Campbell College;The Campbellian, Name: WATSON, John Hyndman. Father: Rev John Watson. Parental note: Rev John Watson (1839-1919) was minister at Boyle 1866 to 1911.A most faithful and efficient minister, and worthily represented the Church at Boyle. A man of sound judgement and great tact, he was much respected.. Parent’s address; Drumderrig Manse, Boyle, Co Roscommon. Register no: 633. Brothers at Campbell:. Date entered: Sept 1901. Date left: July 1904. Date of birth: 9 May 1886. Date of death: 16 April 1918. Age at death: 31. Profession: Medicine (doctor). Regiment: 15 Bn, Royal Scots. Rank: Lance-Sergeant. Where buried/commemorated: Ploegsteert Memorial (Panel 1). How died: Killed in action Notes: Previously wounded at Arras, 1917.

If I dont hear from you before tomorrow may I wish you and all the forum pals a very happy Christmas and a peaceful, prosperous and safe New Year and may next year be even better than the last.