Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Having trouble finding this lad

museumtom

I would very much appreciate help with this officer please. He seem to be remembered in the Cookstown, County Tyrone memorial but I am convinced he was born in Dublin. There is a Cecil William Glenn in the Devonshire Census of 1911 and it says he was born in Dubin. But I cannot be sure it is the same man. Can you help please?

http://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/2000767/GLENN,%20CECIL%20WILLIAM

Any help at all would be most welcome.

Kind regards.

Tom.

SDGW have him with just the one N - GLEN

Nothing else new

medal card gives a Dublin address (14 Northumberland Road)

Ireland's Memorial Record gives Pomeroy Co Tyrone as birthplace. Family tree has the same.

He's on the memorial in Clontarf

http://www.irishwarmemorials.ie/html/showPicture.php?pictureID=596

Following page has the marriage announcement of his younger brother Robert Glenn with Pomeroy as an address

http://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/view/1929/1929-1%20-%200615.html

3 sisters are boarding at Earlsfort Terrace in the 1911 census; 1 a medical student.

Elder sister is at Earlsfort Terrace in 1901 census.

Thanks lads, if it is so then it is so. So be it.

I really appreciate your help.

Thank you again.

Kind regards.

Tom.

the Reverend Gwynn is an interesting character. Played cricket for Ireland (along with 3 of his brothers) and also let his rooms be used for the inaugral meeting of the Irish Citizen Army.

His mother was a daughter of William Smith O'Brien

Thanks again for keeping me in mind Johnnie. I am of the impression that he was born in Dublin but his fathers address in Pomeroy was used by IMR. Pomeroy as Cecils place of birth is not listed anywhere else except IMR.

Good on ye a chara.

Johnnie could you please send me a link for the Dublin Census where you found him. I cannot locate it.

Kind regards.

Tom.

From University of Dublin, Trinity College, War List, February 1922:

Glenn, Cecil William, B.A. & LL.B. 1915. 2Lt, ASC, Jan. 1915; France 1915; Lt, 1915; killed in action, 28 Jan 1917.

Dang it lads you are brilliant. When all the clues are put together it makes sense. I don't forgive him for using William in the Census though. It makes too much work for this ould head.

Its all a credit to your detective work lads, without it this lad would not have made it. For this I thank ye most sincerely.

On another subject, if I may, while trolling through the Irish Times and the Weekly Irish Times I have come across many lads who were unfindable. Would you like to have a stab at some of them? I have to warn you though they all seen to be IFCP lads and there are 11 pages of names.

Fancy a stab at it before I send the to the IFCP team?

Thanking you all very much indees.

Kind regards.

Tom.

Good man Johnnie. I know how difficult these names are. It is a very tricky list to plow through. Dont be too put out if they are unfindable. I spent a lot of time tweaking the casualty databases with success with them. I would love to be proved wrong though.

Kind regards and thank you again.

Tom.

Staff Sgt J J Collins is

Charles Collins

http://soldierswills.nationalarchives.ie/reels/sw/CollinsC_E427075.pdf

C E Collins on CWGC

http://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/357863/COLLINS,%20C%20E

Name: Charles Collins Birth Place: Armagh Residence: Dublin Death Date: 14 Jun 1917 Death Location: Home Enlistment Location: London Rank: A/Sergeant Regiment: Royal Army Service Corps Number: T.1SR/410 Type of Casualty: Died Theatre of War: Home

His service record is on ancestry. Was a Staff Sgt, reduced to Corporal for misconduct.

You will have to stop this now Johnnie, you are making me look like an amadán! Great bit of detective work there, thank you most kindly. Feel free to make me look more foolish, I can take it. You have a flair for this I can see.

Kind regards.

Tom.

That looks very good, Johnnie. Captured in August 1914, in the paper as KIA in September 1914. I will cross him off the list.

Thank you.

Tom.

I would like to make a suggestion, Tom.

Every time the search for one of your lads is completed could you go back and make a note of it in the original post.

The thread is going to become very long and it will be hard work to go through it to find which names still need to be researched.

Good luck, you may well have some non-commemorated lads there.

CGM