Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Newspaper obituary sought

Chris_Baker

I am interested in finding a photo and obituary for L/Cpl 18386 Percy Morter.

CWGC register details giving unit and date: http://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/1546057/MORTER,%20PERCY

He was born in Derby and enlisted in Manchester, according to "Soldiers Died in the Great War".

Percy was the husband of Kitty Eckersley. A forum search will reveal several threads about her.

The 1911 census has him living in the Clayton District of Manchester. The Manchester Roll of Honour has him as an employee of Belsize Motors.

A search of digitised newspapers at the British Newspaper Archive brings up no result.

If anyone has looked for Percy before, or perhaps is interested in Clayton, Belsize Motors or the 9th Loyal North Lancashires, or has examined likely local newspapers, perhaps they have come across something about him after his death in July 1916. All information welcomed.

Hi Chris, tried to pm you. You've probably seen this, but there's a mention in this pdf, if it's any use?

copy and paste

www.iwm.org.uk/upload/pdf/Battlefield_Tour_2.pdf

Mike

Thanks, Mike. Kitty featured in the 1960's BBC "Great War" series and there are documents/transcripts etc at IWM and in the BBC. We (that is, BBC with me helping) are trying to find photos of her and to flesh out a bit more about Percy.

My PM box must be full. I'll clear a few out.