Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

29 LC Squadron in 1918

dfuller52

Can anyone tell me what 29 "LC" Squadron means? I found the reference in a man's service file and was puzzled as to what the LC meant.

In the event, he never served with the Squadron, ending up in hospital instead, but it's where he was headed after spending some time in the Reserve Division, following an earlier stint in hospital.

Others have tried to answer this question and wondered if it might refer to a previous role in the army, but he enrolled in the RFC directly as a Cadet and passed his pilot's training, so there is no question of it being a default assignemt to an original unit, as was suggested.

Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.

Is it not TC Sqn? 29 Training (Control) Squadron was formed at Hendon 1.8.1918, ex the Medical Flight, to return debilitated (physically or mentally) pilots to flying. The unit moved to Edgware (Stag Lane) five days later and to Croydon on 14.12.1918. It then moved to Netheravon on 30.6.1919 and disbanded into 8 Training Squadron on14.7.1919.

That must be it, Mick, thanks. The florid handwritten entry looked like an 'L', but it must be a T. Your explanation makes perfect sense, since my man appears to have had a problem of some kind and was in hostpital twice - and I also wondered if his "illness" was of the mental variety, coming as they did, twice, right before posting operational.