Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Defence of the Realm Act - DORA

Rob Chester

Hello All,

I have seen reference to the Defence of the Realm Act being characterised as a little old lady - Dora. I have found a Punch Cartoon from 1919 showing Dora (the old lady) shocked by uncensored news from Versailles. Does anybody know if this was a regular Punch character? Does anybody know if DORA appeared as Dora, a little old lady anywhere else?

Rob

Rob

The comedy duo Flotsam and Jetsam (Bentley Hillier and Malcolm McEachern), who were popular in the 1920s and 1930s, wrote a song in 1932 called "Down with DORA" which depicted the Act as an old lady in long skirts. The song is a satirical comment on the fact that parts of DORA were left in place long after the war when they should have been repealed. If you don't want to buy the CD, which is available, you can hear the song on You Tube.

TR

Punch August 1918

"Yet one of Mr. Punch's poets, in prophetic and optimistic strain, has actually dared to speculate on the delights of life without "Dora"; Dickens, with the foresight of genius, wrote in "David Copperfield" how his hero "felt it would have been an act of perfidy to Dora to have a natural relish for my dinner."

Surely, DORA still exists

Surely DORA still exists?

Or am I allowed to be that "American" Internet secret Whistle Blower,now resident in Russia?

/

DORA did make a comeback in Punch in 1939 - but not as an old lady, rather as a pastiche of Kipling's Tommy.

post-66715-0-67414900-1386102628_thumb.j

Thanks everyone. It is interesting that Dora the Old Lady seems appear in 1918 and on into the 1920s (since posting I have found another punch Cartoon 9 April 1919) when people were fed up with the restrictions of wartime. The 1939 image of Uncle Dora as a young man doing his bit to defend the nation makes me wonder if there is any record of Dora as an "attractive young thing" defending and protecting the nation in 1914.

The 1939 cartoon is an oddity, as the WW2 equivalent of DORA was the Emergency Powers Act (a much more honest title than DORA), which received Royal Assent on 24 August 1939. Although many people at that time would remember DORA, I am not aware of anyone referring to the EPA as DORA, affectionately or otherwise. For a proper evaluation of the cartoon it is essential to have the precise date of publication.

When I flick my cursor "hand" over the cartoon, I get some text that includes "1939-11-08".

Dunno if this means August 11, 1939 or November 8, 1939?

Moonraker

Moonraker

August 11th , 1939 as in the you first part of the post.

TR

Folks

No I don't think so. I've looked at other cartoons in the archive and the convention is clearly month second, day third. So the cartoon was indeed 8th November 1939.

I also found this one:

post-66715-0-56007200-1386194581_thumb.p

Cartoon date 1921 - 08 - 27 so 27th August 1921

David