Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Roosters singing group

Guest saulmallett

Guest saulmallett

I was wondering whether anyone had any info about a rooster singing group during WW1. I have an uncle george robertson b.1920 and he says his father was a farrier during WW1 as well as performing with the Roosters as entertainment for the troops. His father was a george richard robertson b.abt 1891 I havent been able to find any service records so this maybe outside of actual action but was wondering if anyone had any further information i can pass on. george jnr is a spritley 93 and a member of the goldfish club following ditching in the sea in WW2

Welcome to the Forum Saul.

The Roosters have been mentioned a number of times. The search box towards the top right of the page will reveal several threads, including this one

Do you know George Robertson's unit? I hate to disappoint, but I haven't got a record of him appearing with The Roosters, and he is not mentioned on Dean Williams website

Do you have any more details?

Guest saulmallett

Many thanks for the welcome and reply.

We will try and find more information but i cant even gaurantee what name he was going under at the time! he certainly used at least 2 surnames and i can see a possible Lawrence that may be him. He was certainly from a performing family but will have to hope for more paperwork to be dug up i think! :(

The Roosters were drawn exclusively from units of 60th Division, which is why finding his unit would help determine his participation; however The Roosters were in business long after the war, so maybe he performed with them then, or on the same bill.

Did he have a stage name?