Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RGA, Clearing Office instead of Battery on CWGC

Derek Black

One of 'my' men who was in the Royal Garrison Artillery doesn't have in his CWGC entry a named Battery, it instead has him as in the Clearing Office?

Is this because he was dying of his wounds and he was formally dislocated from a unit, or is it an actual posting within the RGA?

After doing a CWGC there's some 67 similarly listed men, although around a dozed have 'formerly xx Bat" or 'late xx bat.' and one actually just has the normal 'XX bat."

Any guidance would be most helpful as to why he is not given his unit in his listing.

Cheers,

Derek.

Hi Derek,

The Clearing Offices (one for RHA & RFA at Woolwich, one for the RGA at Dover) were specifically formed in 1917 to deal with those wounded men returning to England to hospital. They were taken on strength at the Clearing Office on notification from the record office of returning men and were only taken on the strength of another unit in England after hospitalisation and furlough. Therefore it was only an admin centre and the men probably didn't even know where it was. Depending whether the man had a trade would determine where the Clearing Office would send him; a signaller would go to a SASD, a fitter to Central Siege School Lydd etc. It would be very very rare that a man would return to his previous battery. Sometimes in gunners records you will see a telegram informing the man where he was supposed to go after recovery or furlough. Thankfully not all of the men died.

Kevin

I see.

So it was a holding area for injured men until ready to be reposted to whichever unit was needing them at the time of their recovery?

I'll have to see if i can find out what unit he was in somehow before being sent to the clearing office.

Thanks,

Derek.

That's the chap. Thanks for that Kevin :thumbsup:

Although his wife resided in Broughty Ferry he was a Ploughman at a farm by Kingenny near Monifieth, his parents were from Carmyllie where he is listed on their war memorial and the roll of honour in the church.

Oddly he's not on SNWM?

Derek.