Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

NZEF Otago regiment war diarys available?

garfyboy

I am trying to research a NZEF chap: Frederick James Puckett 8/4210, 2nd btn Otago regiment, who DOW 3/oct/1916 and wondered if war diaries are available?

Researching a NZ chap is proving a little more difficult than a british chap :blink:

Im guessing Frederick died in the battle of Le Transloy but confirmation would be nice, any help appreciated

thanks

Try

nzetc.victoria.ac.nz and search in there.

Otago Regiments War Diaries are in the collection on line.

Otherwise the National Archives or the Auckland War Memorial Museum may have his records on line.

James

Hi James

Its the History of the Otago Battalion that is found at NZETC.

http://nzetc.victoria.ac.nz/tm/scholarly/tei-WH1-Otag.html

The War Diaries are held at the National Archives, I have heard that the NA are planning to have these all up on line for free in the near future, as a centenary project.

I have copies and will see if I can load them up.

2/Otago was attacking Goose Alley at the time.

Cheers Roger

thanks james and thanks roger, it would be great if you have the war diaries for that date and before, then i will feel like i am getting somewhere ^_^

Andy

post-60057-0-30005600-1385757425_thumb.j

if you are having trouble reading these let me know and I can email better copies

Cheers Roger

post-60057-0-08515500-1385757541_thumb.j

I don't know what the turn around time is at this time for wounded, but from what I understand they wanted to evacuate wounded back as fast as they could, and being that we were advancing in the frontline, rather than retreating or stationary - I would imagine wounded were not laying around on the battlefield for long.

But here are the entries for the prior week, I note on the right column that there were regular casualties each day.

post-60057-0-55366800-1385758721_thumb.j

post-60057-0-56349400-1385758732_thumb.j

I'll have a look at the NZ medical Corps diaries and we maybe able to work out which RAP and ADS he went through to be buried here.

Green Dump is probably the most likely candidate.

I'll do that tonight, so your morning.

Thats fantastic Roger, im going to enjoy transcribing these and getting a better idea of how Frederick spent his last hours

I,m chuffed and owe you a beer kind sir

Andy

Roger is dead right - I didn't read your query correctly - you are on the right trail now.

It would be great if the war diaries were published on line.

James

3/NZ Field Ambulance were running the ADS at Green dump (16.c.9.4.) from the 17th September - through to 7th October 1916. its a reasonable distance from where your bloke is buried. so without his military file being on line it is only guess work that he went through Green Dump. He may have gone through the British RAPs on the left flank to end up at this Cemetery? or his grave moved here after the war.

Thistle Alley (cemetery) is shown as the main route.

For your reference this map is from the 2/NZ Field Ambulance

post-60057-0-25750500-1385862367_thumb.j

The 3/NZ field Ambulance WD is not very informative as is only lists names of unit casualties for the 3NZ FA and nothing about what else occurred each day.

Actually his grave is in what appears to be the original area of the cemetery.

and only one other Kiwi is buried here so they must have been evacuated out by the British through there Raps.

The bulk of the Kiwis are in Caterpillar Cemetery, but all were transferred here after the war from now non-existent cemeteries or isolated graves.

Roger

you are a star, a great help for my research and a credit to the GWF, thats what this place is all about

thanks a bunch and have a great christmas

Andy

• 3 years later...

To garfyboy and jacksdad

I am researching the names on Penrith War Memorial (Cumbria). A native of the town, William Turner (born 1888) emigrated to NZ 1913/14. and joined the 2nd Otago Bat. Oct 1915. only to be killed on 1.10.1916.

It has filled in the back ground to his death

Thank you, a most interesting read.

Richard