Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Wales digital archive - cymru1914.org

Sepoy

Just a quick post to draw this new resource to Forum Members
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-25126781

It can be found at http://cymru1914.org

I must add that after playing with it for a few minutes, I am certainly impressed by the quality of the newspapers. It is a shame that the British Newspaper Archive's papers are not this good. There are also some interesting military related letters and photographs.

Sorry if this has been mentioned before.

Sepoy

The "Welsh Army Corps Records," section has some very interesting documents including strength returns of various battalions.

Craig

One small criticism - some of the portrait photographs have interesting titles and descriptions such as the WW1 RAMC soldier wearing a beret (slightly WW2); Cap Badges with plumes must be the Welsh Regiment - ignoring Pembroke Yeomanry etc; and Machine Gun trade badge actually an Artillery 1st class Battery prize badge.

Nit picking I know, but I will drop them an email pointing these errors out. It would be best to get the descriptions correct before the photos are spread all over the internet.

The photo quality is however superb and they should be praised.

Sepoy

• 1 year later...

I've just come across this site and found there's quite a lot of material relating to Salisbury Plain, searching through which should keep me almost as occupied as Ron.

Some early delving reveals the amount of clerical work needed to keep the army operating - requests about who was responsible for clothing issues and where these did, or did not, take place.

Moonraker