Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Territorilas

danny

Danny,

The 8th Royal Scots landed in France on 5 November 1914 and were one of the first Territorial Battalions to go overseas.

I think the London Scottish may hold the honour of being the first.

George

Like "The Long, Long Trail"-site tells us:

Men who joined the Army in the Territorial Force before the war were not obliged to serve overseas. However, when war broke out they were invited to do so, and the majority did. 90% of the East Lancashire Division (later to be designated 42nd) - men of the Blackburn, Bolton, Chorley and Burnley areas - signed up, and by 10th September 1914 they had mobilised, moved to Southampton, and embarked for Egypt.

but when talking about the Western Front, the first:

1/14th (County of London) Battalion TF (London Scottish)

August 1914 : in Westminster. Part of 4th London Brigade, 2nd London Division. September 1914 : moved to France and became GHQ Troops on 16 September. Was engaged near Messines and Ypres on 31 October and early November, under command of the Cavalry Corps. 7 November 1914 : transferred to 1st Brigade, 1st Division. 8 February 1916 : transferred to 168th Brigade, 56th Division.

I saw one source which had the following dates:

16 Sept. - 1/14 London Scottish

20 Sept. - 1 HAC

26 Oct. - 5 Border

27 Oct. - 1/28 Artists Rifles

29 Oct. - 6 Welch

2 Nov. - 5 Royal Highlanders

3 Nov. - 10 Liverpool Scottish, 1/16 Queens Westminsters

4 Nov. - 1/13 Kensingtons

5 Nov. - 8 Royal Scots, 9 HLI, 5 Scottish Rifles, 1/5 London Rifle Brigade, 1/9 Queen Victorias Rifles, 1/1 Hertfordshire

6 Nov. - 4 Royal Welsh Fusiliers, 1/2 Monmouthshire

7 Nov. - 4 Seaforth Highlanders, 4 Suffolk

10 Nov. - 6 Cheshire, 6 Gordon Highlanders

I believe the Oxfordshire Hussars were over before any of the infantry units

The Oxfordshire Yeomanry{Queen's Own Oxfordshire Hussars}Arrived @ Dunkirk on 22nd September 1914

• 1 year later...

The QOOH were sent on the express orders of Winston Churchill who had been OC of the Henley Sqn of the QOOH (although he didnt deply with the Regiment).

Yours aye

Paul

As a London Jock, it was always instilled in me that the 1/14th London were the first in action, but not the first in France. Oxfordshire yeo it is...but I also thought the Northumberland Hussars went over pretty early?

Northumberland Hussars landed @ Zeebrugge on October 6th 1914.

Like Steve, I too am an ex London Jock. I believe that the London Scottish were the first TF INFANTRY battalion in action (31 Oct). However, I also believe that the Oxf Yeomanry did exchange shots with German forces while out on Recce patrols.

North Irish Horse (not strictly territorial .. but had to give them a mention)! Methinks they were 'over there' fairly early?

Des

According to my books, Lord Esher, chairman of the teritorial force sent a telegram to the London Scottish informing them that they had been selected as having the honour of being the first territorial unit to be sent to France. They arrived on the 16th Sept ie before the Oxfordshire Yeomanry on the 22nd Sept (see earlier post). They were also the first territorial batallion to see action, the earlier action by the Oxfordshire Yeomanry seing only a handfull committed. My Grandfather therefore must have been one of the first Territorials ever to be taken prisoner, on the 1st November during the action at Messines.

Doug