Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

BBC seeking relatives/descendants

Chris_Baker

I make this request on behalf of the BBC. If anyone has this information and would prefer not to make it public by posting here, please either send me a private message or ask me for the email address of the BBC producer involved. He will happily talk to you directly, not least to save a bit of time.

The BBC is seeking to find relatives or descendants of certain people who were interviewed for the 1960's "Great War" series. This is with a view to finding photographs or other information about those people that is not already in the public domain. The photos and information may be used in a major TV programme for next year and if the relatives/descendants are interested there may be a possibility that they could be featured themselves.

This is quite urgent and I ask all GWF pals to reply or pass on this request if they have any knowledge at all of the families involved.

The people from the series are:

Robert Bell (who came from Blairgowrie)

Horace Leslie Birks (London, served as a General in WW2)

Allan E Bray (Salisbury, Wilts)

Frank Brent (Melbourne, VIC, Australia)

Charles Edmund Carrington (Birmingham and London)

Archibald Gunter Cochrane (Barnet)

Clifford W Craske (Chertsey)

Stanley F Down (Burnham on Sea)

Kitty Eckersley, also known as Katie Hooley and Kitty Mortier (last known in Chorley, Lancashire)

Norman Demuth (Bognor Regis)

Edward Walter Glendinning (Southampton)

George T Hancox (Canada, possibly Ottawa)

Sebastian C Lang (East Horsley (Horley?), Surrey)

Mabel Lethbridge (last known St Ives, Cornwall)

Cecil Arthur Lewis (the RFC/RAF author)

Norman Macmillan (RFC/RAF, Scotland, possibly Glasgow)

Reginald J Mason (King's Langley)

Joseph (Joe) Murray (RMLI, Loughton, Sussex)

Victor Packer (Bristol)

John Willis Palmer (Leyton)

Benjamin R Richards (Portishead)

Ralph Silk (Harrow)

Richard Henry Tobin (RMLI, Barnes)

Ernest Luzerne Todd (Sevenoaks)

Francis Barker Vaughan (possibly Sheffield area)

Henry Williamson (the author)

Thanks in advance for your help!

Cecil Lewis was a castaway on Desert Island Discs in May 1991 http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/features/desert-island-discs/castaway/a2b39632#p0093z71

As a former employee of the BBC, they must surely have some records filed-away somewhere.

Henry Williamson's son, Richard writes for my local paper the Chichester Observer every week.

Mandy

There's this entry:

FRANCIS BARKER VAUGHAN England & Wales deaths 1837-2007 Collections from Great Britain Country England County Yorkshire Year 1977 Birth Year 1891 Event Quarter 4

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/search/results?sourcecategory=life%20events%20%28bmds%29&collection=Deaths%20%26%20Burials&datasetname=England%20%26%20Wales%20Deaths%201837-2007&lastname=vaughan&firstname=barker&firstname_variants=true

and this in Ancestry:

England & Wales, Death Index, 1916-2007 about Francis Barker Vaughan
Name: Francis Barker Vaughan Birth Date: 9 Sep 1891 Date of Registration: Dec 1977 Age at Death: 86 Registration District: Sheffield Inferred County: South Yorkshire Volume: 3 Page: 1676

Kath.

Norman Demuth, looks like he has descendants in Hampshire, through his daughter, possibly in Gosport area. There is a tree on ancestry for someone in Australia, but using an iPad to send an email is messing around.

Mandy

Chris, I knew Joe Murray and I don't think he had any surviving family.

I know Henry Williamson's family very well and am happy to put BBC in touch with them.

Edward Walker Glendinning died in Southampton in Q3 1983. Married to Olive F Gardner Q3 1922. No littlies discovered as yet. I put this here for further development by the more experienced delvers,of which I observe we have many. His service record of 22 pages survives.

He had one brother,Francis,born 1899 and seemingly died in Derbyshire in 1938 without issue,married to a Silliman in Q1 1924. Sisters too but unchecked as yet.

Sebastian C Lang (East Horsley (Horley?), Surrey)

I don't know the man but these are two different places. East Horsley is over to the west of the county between Epsom and Guildford. Horley is on the A23 a couple of miles north of Gatwick. May help with the searching.

Chris,

Regarding Robert Bell from Blairgowrie. I have been in touch with his great nephew. What are the contact details to progress this?

rgds.

Mark

Chris

Francis Barker Vaughan enlisted in the Sheffield City Battalion as one of the original 1,111 recruits. His number was 12/256 and he originally served in “A” Company.

A photograph of him appears on page 189 of the Sheffield Independent War Album as a private with the battalion. There is another photograph of him in the Sheffield Daily Independent dated 11-7-16, the caption reads: “Pte. Francis B. Vaughan, York and Lancs., wounded. Home at 164, Pomona Street, Sheffield”. This relates to his wounding during the City Battalion’s attack at Serre on 1/7/16. Both publications are available at Sheffield Local Studies Library.

He was discharged to a Commission in the Indian Army on 28/11/17. His Officer service file is still held by the MOD under reference P/104918/1.

On 4 July 1964, he attended the Twelfth Club’s (Old Comrades) 50th Anniversary Dinner, at Endcliffe Hall, Sheffield, signing his name "F Vaughan 12/256".

Don’t have much more on him, but happy to assist further if required.

Regards

Mark

Great stuff, Mark. Thank you. I shall pass the info on with regard to the photos. The Beeb may need to come back with a request for a copy of the photos. Let's see.

Chris

Francis Barker Vaughan enlisted in the Sheffield City Battalion as one of the original 1,111 recruits. His number was 12/256 and he originally served in “A” Company.

A photograph of him appears on page 189 of the Sheffield Independent War Album as a private with the battalion. There is another photograph of him in the Sheffield Daily Independent dated 11-7-16, the caption reads: “Pte. Francis B. Vaughan, York and Lancs., wounded. Home at 164, Pomona Street, Sheffield”. This relates to his wounding during the City Battalion’s attack at Serre on 1/7/16. Both publications are available at Sheffield Local Studies Library.

He was discharged to a Commission in the Indian Army on 28/11/17. His Officer service file is still held by the MOD under reference P/104918/1.

On 4 July 1964, he attended the Twelfth Club’s (Old Comrades) 50th Anniversary Dinner, at Endcliffe Hall, Sheffield, signing his name "F Vaughan 12/256".

Don’t have much more on him, but happy to assist further if required.

Regards

Mark

Francis Barker Vaughan married Mary Lant Hancock on 4.11.1922. They had no children. She died at Sheffield in Dec 1955 and he, also at Sheffield, in Dec 1977. He had three sisters in the 1911,living in Sheffield,Kate (18) Mabel (16) and Hilda (10).

I've tried to contact family members of Ernest Todd but no replies as yet. I'm due to meet the local history correspondent for the local paper soon, so will also ask him.

Best wishes,

Matt

I am surprised that Edward Spears is not listed, as he was a talking head in the series.

Unless his family have already been contacted.

• 2 months later...

A final word of thanks for all of the ideas and details given in answer to my original request. The research work is complete and production work on the programme is in an advanced state. I am told it will be broadcast by the BBC in the spring but have no definite date. Do look out for it: "My Great War".

ADDED LATER: looks like bits of news of this programme are beginning to be released: http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/first-world-war-widow-kittys-6718618

• 4 weeks later...

I have just watched the full interview of Leslie Horace Birks on i player. He was a tank commander at the Battle of Cambrai and from what he says I can only think he was in the same section (12?) of D battalion of the heavy branch mgc / tanks corps as my Grandfather who was a tank driver. George Harwood Wells. I have done a very quick internet search and see that L H B's medals were sold quite recently. Perhaps that might be a lead to his family.

I think it is really important that people know that the iplayer has longer interviews by those featured in the broadcast programme and from more people. They are cleverly restored in HD quality. A fantastic historic record.... well done BBC.

IAN

I think it is really important that people know that the iplayer has longer interviews by those featured in the broadcast programme and from more people. They are cleverly restored in HD quality. A fantastic historic record.... well done BBC.

IAN

Slightly confused. Are you saying that the broadcast on iPlayer is longer than the TV programme of the same?

I have just watched the full interview of Leslie Horace Birks on i player. He was a tank commander at the Battle of Cambrai and from what he says I can only think he was in the same section (12?) of D battalion of the heavy branch mgc / tanks corps as my Grandfather who was a tank driver. George Harwood Wells. I have done a very quick internet search and see that L H B's medals were sold quite recently. Perhaps that might be a lead to his family.

IAN

Hello IAN,

As a 'connection' to your post, while researching my local War Memorial I found Pte. 77374, "D" Bn MGC Tank Corps, formerly 31522 E.Yorks. Regt, and formerly 3546 Cameronians (Scottish Rifles).

http://warmemscot.s4.bizhat.com/warmemscot-ftopic585.html

http://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/289643/BLAIR,%20JOHN

http://www.snwm.org/content/roll-search/?id=342512&searchid=47a7164a10a7099e011ae3c1c5e4d331&page=1

Kindest Regards,

Tom.

post-87018-0-51347400-1394986175_thumb.j

Thank you for the information about John Blair. I will look him up in the Book of the Tank Corps Roll of Honour. My local library has a copy. After the battle of Cambrai D Bttn withdrew to Havrincourt Wood and on the 30th Nov 1917 they were attacked by the Germans. The battalion war diary doesn't report any casualties on the day. There will have been many casualties from the days before so he might have died from wounds at a casualty station. Do you have any further information? There might be a service record on Ancestry.

It would be good to pass any information on to Stephen Pope who is writing a website and book about the Tankmen of Cambrai. http://www.tankmenofcambrai.com/dbattalion.htm

IAN

Hello IAN,

The information that I posted is the extent of my research so far. I just noticed 'D' Bn in your post so thought it would be a further connection.

The entry in the Scottish National War Memorial, Edinburgh Castle (link in earlier post), does record John Blair as 'Died of Wounds'.

I have not reached the stage of checking BDM, Census and newspaper records yet ('coz I'm building the basic info for each man on the memorial first).

Many thanks for the link to Stephen Pope. I'll be sure to keep checking, and if I find any further local info on John Blair I'll pass it on.

I'm slowly building a 'digital dossier' on each man on the local Memorial and like all else, it takes time.

If you find any info in the Tank Corps Roll of Honour I'd be very happy if you could take photos for me, or a link if its online.

If you do, please PM me and I'll send my email address.

As another coincidence, I'm going to France next month to visit my grandfather's grave.

I'm booked into a hotel in Cambrai which is owned by the gentleman who found tank D51 "Deborah" at Flesquieres in 1998.

http://www.tank-cambrai.com/english/home.php

Ooops, I meant to add that I have searched ancestry but cannot find a Service Record for John Blair using each of the 3 Regiments mentioned as search criteria.