Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Choloy War Cemetery

judy7007

I will be at Choloy War Cemetery over the Christmas period. I see there is only one WW1 casualty in this cemetery. If by some chance anyone would like a photograph of this headstone, or a poppy placed, please let me know.

SHARP, WALTER Private 26652 09/06/1918 38 Leicestershire Regiment United Kingdom 4. C. 13. CHOLOY WAR CEMETERY

I wonder why he is here? The only WW1 casualty here?

Judy

Morning Judy,

Can I please ask for a headstone photo of

Victor Harry MOSELEY Grave 1A.A.21.

Sergeant 580085226 Squadron, Royal Air Force

If you have the time,

Many thanks for posting,

Regards,

Graeme

Hi Graeme

Most certainly. I'll be very pleased to do this. I'll be away in Ypres and surrounds from 18-31 Dec so will be in touch by probably the second week of Jan. I am going to Choloy for WW2 airmen (and then saw there was a WW1 casualty).

Cheers

Judy

Hello Judy,

Walter was from Loughborough in Leicestershire and is commemorated on the Carillon Tower Memorial & Museum in the town. The historical information on the CWGC site does makes it sound as if he was recovered from a isolated site and re-buried at Choloy, but why the only Great War casualty, I do not know.

Regards.

Llew.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Graeme, I'm really sorry that I didn't get to Choloy before unforeseen events unfolded and I am now back in UK. If there is another opportunity I will most certainly let you know.

Judy

Regarding the single WW1 casualty at Choloy,the reason being that it was a WW2 postwar consolidated cemetery.The casualty must have been found in a remote grave and his remains transferred to Choloy after 1950.

The bulk of the causalities here are RAF aircrew who were transferred from village cemeteries and the like for CWGC grave maintenance considerations.

The RAF dead, in some instances,lost their lives a great distance from their final resting place at Choloy.

Thank you Frank. I am pleased to know this.

I'm hoping to go other places Graeme so am very hopeful I'll be able to assist then. I don't expect this uncertainty again. In the meantime if there's anything at all I can assist with in the Greater London area (or slightly further afield - for a day trip eg), please PM me and ask. It is highly likely I'll be able to go and I would be very happy to do this.

Cheers

Judy

• 4 years later...

My great uncles was Private Walter Sharp of the Leicestershire Regiment. I do not know much about him but I think from the records he is the soldier that you are referring to? Any additional information would be much appreciated.

Kind regards.

On ‎29‎/‎11‎/‎2013 at 20:24, judy7007 said:

Thank you Llew. It's good to know even a little about him. I will visit his grave

Judy

Thank you for visiting the grave, I am almost sure from my research that he is my Great Unclse Walter, I am researching information about him for my Mother, I cannot find him on record as being in the Choloy Cemetery though even though I have a grave number from the Leicestershire Regiment website.

Kind regards. 

Hi Charlotte,

Welcome to the forum.

His CWGC records are here. The 'concentration' reports show that he was originally buried in another cemetery, but was moved to his current resting place in 1965. In terms of trying to research Walter, there is some very good advice here. There appears to be a few records that survive, including some service papers (Findmypast link here - they should also be on Ancestry). It would appear that he died on 9th June 1918 having been 'wounded in action' on 27th May 1918. It would seem that having been wounded, he was passed down the evacuation chain before sadly passing away. His service record may well show that movement, and show which units gave him medical care - I didn't look at it in any detail, but it will inevitable include a lot of acronyms and abbreviations, for example:

FA = field ambulance

CCS = casualty clearing station

SH = stationary hospital

GH = general hospital

AT = ambulance train

Perhaps, if you have a read of the record and have any follow up queries you could post again. I'm sure that Forum Pals will try to help. Knowing that his death was  linked to his service with the 7th Battalion, you can cross reference to their war diary - here at the National Archives, or here on Ancestry. His service is more complicated than just having served with the 7th Battalion. For example, there was home service; service overseas with the 9th Battalion; and a previous wounding. Overseas units kept war diaries, home service units didn't. The National Archives search page is here, and the Ancestry search page here. NB from the National Archives you download a date range 'chunk', whereas Ancestry is a real pain as you have to download a page at a time. None of the diaries are likely to mention Walter by name, but depending on how much context you want about his likely war experience it may be worth thinking bigger. Infantry Brigade HQ, and Division HQ (General Staff) HQ diaries often contain things such as maps, orders, and reports on operations that don't appear in the Battalion diary.

Walter has a surviving 'will' - £10 from here. It might be of questionable value though, as it may well only consist of a very few words that adds little, or nothing, to what you can find elsewhere. It would come as a low resolution B&W scan of the original.

Good luck with your research.

Regards

Chris

Thank you so much Chris for this information, it is an encouraging start and I will of course post any other details about him. I had been told that hedid not have a grave so once I have all the information I will speak to my Mum about it.

Once again many thanks for your swift response.

Kind regards.