Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Photograph of Asylum British Cemetery, Ypres?

Old Cove

The ever-helpful CWGC have just told me that Private G S Brown, 2nd Battalion, Hampshire Regiment (who died following the catastrophic gas attack of 8/9 August 1916 and is now buried in the Bedford House Cemetery) was originally buried in the Asylum British Cemetery which I understand was in the grounds of the Hospice du Sacre Coeur. I found photos on the web of the Hospice before and immediately after the war but I wonder if anyone has a photo showing the cemetery? Private Brown's body was moved in May 1924 according to the CWGC.

Roger

Roger,

I'm afraid I can't help you ...

Why I reply ? I have been interested for years in Disappeared Cemeteries (moved elsewhere), and have a lot of pictures (digital). But I have never seen one of Asylum Cemetery. A bit odd, as it was not among the first that disappeared.

Anxious to see if someone can help you.

Aurel

Thanks Aurel, it doesn't sound as though I will be lucky then. As a local, maybe you know if there are any burials or any relics of any sort left on the site now from 1914-18? I can see from Google that there still appears to be a religious house of some sort but it all looks very modern.

Regards

Roger

Sorry, Roger, I must have missed your reply and should have answered a week ago.

No, there certainly is no burial site there now, or anything dating from the war.

(Someone recently told me the burial site was moved (1924 ?) because it was considered as a not very pleasant sight for the patients. (That may be the reason that compared to other small cemeteries that were moved, that one stayed a little longer.)

Aurel

• 2 years later...

Hi Roger, I was just looking up info about Asylum Cemetery. My great great Uncle Ivan used to visit there to take photographs for the War Graves Commission during the war. I don't have a photo of the cemetery, but there is a photo of 'Hospice Notre Dame Cemetery' in the IWM archives: http://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205252379. It also features in the Michelin guide to Ypres from 1919. However, I believe the caption to be wrong, and that this photo is the Asylum Cemetery. There is no record of a cemetery at Hospice Notre Dame (which was near the Cloth Hall), and I could just make out the names on two of the grave markers - they were transferred from Asylum Cemetery to Bedford House after the war. 

Excellent work to get this identification of the correct cemtery.  Would the IWM be likely to re-caption this when presented with the evidence? 

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks. I will send IWM a note about the photograph. I'm sure they'd be glad to receive the correction. 

• 4 years later...

Very interesting post. I have been looking at the formation of Asylum Cemetery by the 85 Field Ambulance and the early burials here in February 1915. I am surprised by the later burials here in 1917, I thought the Dressing Station associated with the burials was abandoned after the intensive shelling of Ypres in April 1915.

David 

Been on the forum for years and thisis the first time Ive found this thread.

Pte Archibald Wheeler in my sig was another concentrated at Bedford House from Assylum, Ive previously asked about Assylum cemetery but no pictures.

38 minutes ago, chaz said:

Been on the forum for years and thisis the first time Ive found this thread.

Pte Archibald Wheeler in my sig was another concentrated at Bedford House from Assylum, Ive previously asked about Assylum cemetery but no pictures.

@chaz

There is a much clearer copy of the photo on WW1 Cemeteries web site

Richard