Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

BillyH

Croix de Guerre

rclarke

Scrolling through microfilm of our local paper of 14 March 1917, there is reference to Private George Merritt of Hants Regiment being awarded the Crois de Guerre for gallantry in the face of the enemy. Would your database carry any information on this gentleman, please?

I have a database of over 37.000 names of Commonwealth service men & women awarded Foreign awards, most are Gazetted (approx 85 %) & the rest are confirmed from other sources, War diaries & Associations such as the Red Cross(who were given permission to receive some foreign awards without going through the Gazette).

I do not have George Delamere on my list. I am not stating that my database is 100%, but it must be very close.

All I can suggest is checking War diaries, local Newspapers & if his service/pension papers have survived.
If his service/pension are available, they may not have any mention of foreign awards, as I have searched some known recipients papers & not all have the awards mentioned. I think that the papers must have been thinned out over the years.

All I ask is, if you do find any thing regarding his award could you please let me know so I can add him to my database.

Thanks

Peter

Roger H

Peter

Do you have info on the CdeG for my GF.? Major Arthur Hollingworth RFA. if not, I can provide you with details

Roger

ForeignGong

Scrolling through microfilm of our local paper of 14 March 1917, there is reference to Private George Merritt of Hants Regiment being awarded the Crois de Guerre for gallantry in the face of the enemy. Would your database carry any information on this gentleman, please?

Hi

The only info I have on this chap is the London Gazette below

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/30043/supplement/4159

Peter

ForeignGong

Peter

Do you have info on the CdeG for my GF.? Major Arthur Hollingworth RFA. if not, I can provide you with details

Roger

Hi

Here is his LG https://www.thegazette.co.uk/Edinburgh/issue/13114/page/1366 & they have spelt his name the way you have,

but they have corrected his name to include an "s" in Hollingsworth as below

Correction https://www.thegazette.co.uk/Edinburgh/issue/13181/page/2622

I have that he was MC LG 14 Aug 1917, if there is any more info you can give me I would appreciate that very much, thank you.

Peter

Roger H

Peter

The correction is actually incorrect! It IS Hollingworth! I am about to send you a PM

Roger

mcassell

Hi, Peter

P A V Stewart CBE DSO, King’s Own Scottish Borderers also had WWI Officer's Dress Aiguillette.

What's this?

Regards, Oleg.

Oleg

This looks like a Belgian Croix de Guerre fourragere - colours red and gold. My understanding is these were for unit citations - but only Second World War??

gp

SE9Medals
On ‎27‎/‎11‎/‎2013 at 08:46, ForeignGong said:

I have a database of over 37.000 names of Commonwealth service men & women awarded Foreign awards, most are Gazetted (approx 85 %) & the rest are confirmed from other sources, War diaries & Associations such as the Red Cross(who were given permission to receive some foreign awards without going through the Gazette).

I do not have George Delamere on my list. I am not stating that my database is 100%, but it must be very close.

All I can suggest is checking War diaries, local Newspapers & if his service/pension papers have survived.
If his service/pension are available, they may not have any mention of foreign awards, as I have searched some known recipients papers & not all have the awards mentioned. I think that the papers must have been thinned out over the years.

All I ask is, if you do find any thing regarding his award could you please let me know so I can add him to my database.

Thanks

Peter

Hi Peter,

I have just acquired a miniature medal group and I am trying to track the recipient. Are you able to cross reference foreign awards on your database to produce a shortlist of potential attributable candidates?

The medals are:

Croix de Guerre: France

Order of the White Eagle: Kingdom of Serbia (I think this is 5th Class as there is nothing attached to the ribbon to indicate a higher class awarded)

The complete group is;

M.B.E. 1st type Military

British War Medal

Victory Medal + MID

Croix de Guerre: France

Order of the White Eagle: Kingdom of Serbia

I am working through the London Gazette to compile a list of the 5th Class White Eagle recipients and then doing a cross reference search for those recipients for the Croix de Guerre.

I was thinking I could then publish a leaflet on the list of recipients of the White Eagle after this !!

Any help would be great.

Many thanks

David

bif
On ‎30‎/‎04‎/‎2014 at 22:58, ForeignGong said:

Hi

Peter,

Not sure if you ever found this one.  Info was given to me when I first came to the GWF from member " little bob", which as a newbie, I promptly ignored and misplaced in that order.

Reid, Andrew 1392, Seaforth:   DCM ( LG 20 Dec 1914), 1914 Star/BWM/AVM, Belgian CG w/Palm (EG 6 Apr 1915)

wheaty

It's been a while since I've been on the board and just delighted that someone has a list of the CdG issued to Commonwealth troops.

My wife's grandfather (Canadian) won both the MM and the CdG however there was no medal card included with his file

The MM was listed in his records as well as the CdG and the notation"for bravery in the field"

The MM was listed as Military Medal and the CdG was just listed as CDG.

The MM is listed in the London Gazette along with the Edinburgh Times.

The CDG medal has disappeared and I would like to replace it.

ForeignGong

Hi

Is it a Belgium or French CdG.

Peter

wheaty

Peter:

Thanks for the response however there is no mention if Belgium or French in the records I have.

He was with the 38th Battalion, and it was awarded on 22 - 3 18 with the CdG mentioned on the same line with the number 30287 preceding the CdG 

On another page is { Place...field   25 1/18  Pts II, then looks like 51022

His Regimental Number is 669264

cheers,

Warren

ForeignGong

Hi Warren

I take it the man is 669264 Pte A McFarlane, Canadian Inf.

I do not have him on my database and can not find him in the London Gazette for a foreign award, only his MM. This could be one of the many cases of a foreign award being handed out, especially by the French, that were not gazetted. I have quite a few of these on my list.

Is there any chance of a scan of the page or document so I can add the details to my database, please.

Peter

ForeignGong
On ‎19‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 06:12, bif said:

Peter,

Not sure if you ever found this one.  Info was given to me when I first came to the GWF from member " little bob", which as a newbie, I promptly ignored and misplaced in that order.

Reid, Andrew 1392, Seaforth:   DCM ( LG 20 Dec 1914), 1914 Star/BWM/AVM, Belgian CG w/Palm (EG 6 Apr 1915)

Sorry BIF

I missed your post. Once again I do not have Andrew Reid on my list, all I can find in the LG is two references to his DCM. One the announcement of the DCM and the other the citation and these are copied in the EG a few days later.

The early DCM recipients quite often were also given a French CdG that was not gazetted.

Do you have any paperwork that mentions it.

Peter

Allan1892

Hello Peter,

I have just found this topic and it is of interest to me as a relative was awarded the Belgium Croix De Guerre and so far I have been unable to find anything about why he was awarded it.

His details are as follows:

John ALNWICK

Battery Sergeant Major 771174

Arrived at Le Havre on 4th July 1916

He was only in battle for no more than 18 months before he w3as awarded the C De G.

Can you look at your database to see if you have anything on him?

Allan

John Alnwick Croix De Guerre.jpg

Allan1892

Many thanks Peter. The search begins!

Allan

BillyH

I made a simple query over 5 years ago regarding the Croix de Guerre (see post #1) and my query was dealt with at that time.

I am now getting notified (on an all too regular basis) that someone has replied to my topic (but they haven't).

The reason is that members are 'piggy backing' their queries on this thread and it is not very good manners.

Now I am sorry to upset people but there is a PM system that can be used to make queries to the C de G experts who are being very helpful on this topic. Or else why not start your own topic?

So I am now going to lock it.

BillyH.