Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

BillyH

Croix de Guerre

BillyH

Am I correct in assuming that the Croix de Guerre is never mentioned on the recipients medal index card?

If so, can anyone advise me how to find a record for a soldier you believe may have received one.

BillyH.

johndavidswarbrick

The awards were published in the London Gazette, which is available online, but the search engine is poor and you will need a lot of patience.

http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/search

Good luck,

Dave Swarbrick

ForeignGong

Hi

What is his name, number & unit, we may be able to help???

BillyH

George Delamere RFA - no other info

BillyH.

ForeignGong

I have a database of over 37.000 names of Commonwealth service men & women awarded Foreign awards, most are Gazetted (approx 85 %) & the rest are confirmed from other sources, War diaries & Associations such as the Red Cross(who were given permission to receive some foreign awards without going through the Gazette).

I do not have George Delamere on my list. I am not stating that my database is 100%, but it must be very close.

All I can suggest is checking War diaries, local Newspapers & if his service/pension papers have survived.
If his service/pension are available, they may not have any mention of foreign awards, as I have searched some known recipients papers & not all have the awards mentioned. I think that the papers must have been thinned out over the years.

All I ask is, if you do find any thing regarding his award could you please let me know so I can add him to my database.

Thanks

Peter

BillyH

Thanks for your help Peter, will do.

BillyH.

johndavidswarbrick

Peter,

My great grandfather stated in his son's obituary that his son, my great uncle, Captain William Aloysius Swarbrick Lancashire Fusiliers, was in receipt of the Croix de Guerre [belgium] and also the M. C. I have never found any evidence for either award. I wonder if I could ask you to check your database and see if you have any record.

Thank you,

Dave Swarbrick

ForeignGong

Peter,

My great grandfather stated in his son's obituary that his son, my great uncle, Captain William Aloysius Swarbrick Lancashire Fusiliers, was in receipt of the Croix de Guerre [belgium] and also the M. C. I have never found any evidence for either award. I wonder if I could ask you to check your database and see if you have any record.

Thank you,

Dave Swarbrick

Sorry Dave, not on my database.

I have checked the

1920 Offrs war service book, no mention

1924 Half Pay book, no mention

Honours & Awards 1914-20, no mention

When I did a LG search of W. A. Swarbrick the last entry is for 27 Jul 1920 & no M.C. post nominal.

Peter

taylov

Peter,

Thank you,

Dave Swarbrick

There is only one Swarbrick listed with a CdG and that's 17571 Harry Swarbrick, Scottish Rifles LG 17.8.1918. His MIC records a British Army Military Medal (MM), too. Could he be a relative of W.A.S ? Bit of a co-incidence otherwise.

Tony

johndavidswarbrick

Peter

Thanks for that - I suspected that was the case, but it's always good to confirm.

Tony,

I know about Harry - not a relative. It may surprise you to know that there were at least 260 men with the name Swarbrick who served in the war - I know because they are all on my database. There may actually be more, records of men who served but never made it into a theatre of war an so have no medal entitlement are very sketchy and difficult to find.

Thanks to both of you.

Dave Swarbrick

Aneurin

Peter

By co-incidence, I was contacted by an old friend today who's trying to find out if a distant relative had been awarded the Croix de Guerre. However, he only has a surname : Uzzell.

I'd be very grateful if you could check your database for anyone of that name.

Many thanks.

Gwyn

The Scorer

Peter

By co-incidence, I was contacted by an old friend today who's trying to find out if a distant relative had been awarded the Croix de Guerre. However, he only has a surname : Uzzell.

Many thanks.

Gwyn

Is his relative this chap, by any chance, please?

UZZELL, BENJAMIN Rank: Serjeant Service No: 15809 Date of Death: 13/09/1918 Age: 31 Regiment/Service: Wellington Regiment, N.Z.E.F. 1st Bn. Grave Reference V. F. 3. Cemetery GOUZEAUCOURT NEW BRITISH CEMETERY Additional Information: Son of Alfred Henry and Sarah J. Uzzell, of Newport, Mon., England.

The reason I'd like to know is that he's on the Newport Athletic Club War Memorial, and I'm researching their names.

I haven't come across any mention of him receiving the Croix de Guerre, but if he did, I'd appreciate it if I could know - thank you.

Aneurin

Scorer

I don't know anything about the Uzzell relationship yet but will let you know if/when I find out anything.

Very interested to hear about your NAC project. I have some information on SE Richards if you don't have much on him.

Gwyn

taylov

Peter

Many thanks.

Gwyn

The newly published book of Gazetted Foreign Awards does have a French award to a Uzzell -

A French MM (Medaille Militaire) to 61135 A/Cpl. William Uzzell of the RAMC. Gazetted 1.5.1917.

Wonder if that's your man.

Tony

Aneurin

Tony

Many thanks for this information. I'm very grateful for your help.

I'll pass it on to see if it connects with anything which may be known about Uzzell.

Gwyn

topgun1918

Other Uzzells whose war service was recognised include:

ROYAL ARMY SERVICE CORPS.

M2/182082 Cpl. Uzzell, C. W. (Hampstead, N.W.). (Military Medal as per London Gazette number 31173, page 2124)

and

ROYAL FIELD ARTILLERY (T.F.).

Uzzell, 745318 Sjt. J. N., attd. 29th D.A.C. (Mentioned in Despatches as per London Gazette number 31437 page 8536)

There was also a C W Uzzell -

York. R.

Temp. Lt. C. W. Uzzell, from a Serv. Bn., to be temp. Lt. 28 Feb. 1918, with seniority 1 July 1917.

Green Howards.—The undermentioned relinquish their commns. on completion of service:—

Temp. Lt. C. W. Uzzell, 25th Mar. 1919, and retains the rank of Lt.

Graeme

Aneurin

Graeme

Many thanks for going to the trouble of looking these up. This information is very useful. I will forward the details to my friend and with luck we will eventually find the answer to the query.

Thanks for your help.

Gwyn

rpuxty

I have a database of over 37.000 names of Commonwealth service men & women awarded Foreign awards, most are Gazetted (approx 85 %) & the rest are confirmed from other sources, War diaries & Associations such as the Red Cross(who were given permission to receive some foreign awards without going through the Gazette).

I do not have George Delamere on my list. I am not stating that my database is 100%, but it must be very close.

All I can suggest is checking War diaries, local Newspapers & if his service/pension papers have survived.

If his service/pension are available, they may not have any mention of foreign awards, as I have searched some known recipients papers & not all have the awards mentioned. I think that the papers must have been thinned out over the years.

All I ask is, if you do find any thing regarding his award could you please let me know so I can add him to my database.

Thanks

Peter

Hi Peter,

This might be a long shot but here goes.

My g grandfather told my great aunt that he was awarded the croix de guerre, but he never collected it or got it.

He was a stretcher bearer for most/all of the war.

As he died in the '40's she couldn't remember why he said he'd won it. She's died now, so the story is lost.

I have previously posted details of my g grandfather, so won't repeat it here but I wondered if you could check your database for Cpl Fred (Frederick) Bagshaw.

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=133971&p=1483793

I haven't been able to find any record in the London Gazette, so I'd be ever so grateful if you'd be able to take a look.

Cheers

Rob

ForeignGong

Hi Rob

Sorry I do not have a Frederick Bagshaw, I do have a Capt William Brown CdG & a Sjt William Thomas Med Milit.

As stated above Newspapers and / or War Diaries are your best bet.

Remember that some of the stories of French generals handing out CdG are true.

Peter

Nusa71

Hi, Peter

I'd be very grateful if you could check your database:

What awarded Foreign awards General Staff Officer Lieutenant-Colonel P.A.V. STEWART.

P A V Stewart CBE DSO, King’s Own Scottish Borderers. Stuart served with the 9th (Scottish) Division in France and Flanders, seeing action at the Somme and other major battles, being awarded the Distinguished Service Order and mentioned in despatches.

Regards, Oleg.

Nusa71

Hi, Peter

P A V Stewart CBE DSO, King’s Own Scottish Borderers also had WWI Officer's Dress Aiguillette.
What's this?

Regards, Oleg.

post-104565-0-95209100-1391950690_thumb.

Nusa71

Hi, Peter

I'd be very grateful if you could check your database and give an example
awarding of any British officer:

- France Croix de Guerre and France Fourragère.

Regards, Oleg.

lbeardwood

Do you have any information on FANY M.Hope Russell who got a Croix de Guerre in 1918.