Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Fair Price

ralphjd

You are spot on with the comment "recipients surroundings" when I was working I passed this lads house and his brothers twice a day for donkeys years, not knowing. Ralph.

Went to York for the day yesterday, there is a coin and medal shop Spinks at the top end of the shambles, they have campaign and victory medals £75 a pair.

Went to York for the day yesterday, there is a coin and medal shop Spinks at the top end of the shambles, they have campaign and victory medals £75 a pair.

depending on the regiment could be an ok price

Wish i had spent my pocket money a little wiser as a kid..........

.....I Did!!! how glad am I!!

I Have recently bought 2 trios of Connaught Rangers medals, 1 trio from 1st bn which my grandad was in, and the other from 5th bn which my great uncle josey was in. I paid £290 for 1 trio and £245 for the other...absolute bargain as far as I'm concerned . If i'm lucky enough to find what i'm looking for..and in this case i did, within 2 weeks of looking...then I will pay whatever i need to pay. If you want it buy it , don't lose sleep over paying £10 over the odds, personally I would have paid several hundreds more than I did, just grateful that I got the chance to own them.

As I have said you pays your choice if you want them, I did and happy to do so. Good on you getting what you wanted. Ralph.

One of the walls that any collector needs to break , and from a long term collectors point of view is when like me and the first1915 trio i purchased was to a NCO in the 10th London as a young 11 year old in 1968 for 21Shillings is and yes l know its 45 years ago ,but when you see prices realised you need to take a deep breath and move on , in fact the second item i bought same year was a WW2 1943 British paratroopers helmet leather chinstrap for11/6 now to replace that would be around £2000+ so its not just medal colectors who have to take a breath and flash some cash,even the good old 1940 pattern BD wil take you past £100 no trouble and with orginal insignia to a regiment easy past that.

I Have recently bought 2 trios of Connaught Rangers medals, 1 trio from 1st bn which my grandad was in, and the other from 5th bn which my great uncle josey was in. I paid £290 for 1 trio and £245 for the other...absolute bargain as far as I'm concerned . If i'm lucky enough to find what i'm looking for..and in this case i did, within 2 weeks of looking...then I will pay whatever i need to pay. If you want it buy it , don't lose sleep over paying £10 over the odds, personally I would have paid several hundreds more than I did, just grateful that I got the chance to own them.

Irish regiments, very collectable. As a Border Regiment collector I am paying between £75-95 for 14/15 trios.....but prices going down a tad methinks.

There was a WW1 pair on Ebay....11th Bn Border Regt casualty that sold for £500 last week. He WASN'T an original Lonsdale man NOR a 1st Day Somme casualty!! I would not pay that kind of money for a simple KIA pair. Either someone know's something or simply paid way over the odds.

There was a WW1 pair on Ebay....11th Bn Border Regt casualty that sold for £500 last week. He WASN'T an original Lonsdale man NOR a 1st Day Somme casualty!! I would not pay that kind of money for a simple KIA pair. Either someone know's something or simply paid way over the odds.

Perhaps, because he's in the Battalions Somme book and a Cumberland man? That Somme book is one of the most excellent Pals Battalion books there is.

In my opinion it was worth the money, because there isn't anything to buy to the Battalion on the market at the moment. It might change in 2016, we shall see!

Irish regiments, very collectable. As a Border Regiment collector I am paying between £75-95 for 14/15 trios.....but prices going down a tad methinks.

The odd thing with this Irish Regiment hype never fails to make me laugh , you see a 1914 trio to the Dubs or Rangers go for outrageous money and see the lad was from Poplar or Brum, then Indian Mutiny or other Victorian medals to lads from the emerald isle but to English regiments fetch not a lot at auction , had this conversation with a auctioner from a major Dublin auction house and he confirmed it leaves them a bit confused

The odd thing with this Irish Regiment hype never fails to make me laugh , you see a 1914 trio to the Dubs or Rangers go for outrageous money and see the lad was from Poplar or Brum, then Indian Mutiny or other Victorian medals to lads from the emerald isle but to English regiments fetch not a lot at auction , had this conversation with a auctioner from a major Dublin auction house and he confirmed it leaves them a bit confused

I take your point, but for my part I bought the 2 trios of Connaught Rangers medals because my Grandad and Great Uncle (KIA 1915) (both born and bred in Boyle, County Roscommon) were in the same battalions as the men whose medals that I bought, and likely as not fought alongside them. If they had been in anything other than an Irish regiment, as many thousands of Irishmen were, then thats where I would have been looking.

Regard John

Perhaps, because he's in the Battalions Somme book and a Cumberland man? That Somme book is one of the most excellent Pals Battalion books there is.

In my opinion it was worth the money, because there isn't anything to buy to the Battalion on the market at the moment. It might change in 2016, we shall see!

Are you referring to Colin Bardgetts book on the Lonsdales?