Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Fair Price

ralphjd

Appreciate that medals are worth what one is prepared to pay if one desires them enough, a pair BWM and Victory, not a casualty, local man (died aged 90 in 1987) £55 start, comments anyone. Ralph.

Probably a little on the high side unless to a very good line regiment. You also need to consider if you have space for them in your living room? :whistle:

Depends whether you are a local collector, when I was collecting I would have paid over the odds for local men, didn't matter if they were casualties. The other factor is whether the service or pension record survives.

Lived about 800 yards from our house, Loyal North Lancs 25 pages of his record within the auction, he was the brother of one of "my" casualties in my book.

I paid over the top once for a kia medal to a chap who lived a few yards away.

Regarding a LNLR pair £30-40, so £55 is over priced. But if I were you I'd buy it!

Neil

Made him an offer, accepted it, paid over the odds I know, but local mens awards are as rare as hens teeth.What the hell you cannot take it with you. Ralph.

Excellent, nice to see I'm not alone.

Prices are creeping up... bought a couple of "standard" pairs 6 months ago for £40 ish each. Now they seem to be selling at £50 ish.

It's the Centenary, thaa knows...

But whilst the difference between £35 and £55 is 43% - it's only £20!!!

If I ever find myself beefing about paying a bit over the odds, I just remind myself that the monetary amount is tiny compared to the feeling of having got "that" item, chosen for all my own specific reasons as being better than the cheapest similar one I might find.

Factor in a value for the time you'd spend regretting it, then searching for another suitable pair, and £20 is cheap.

Regards

Ian

I paid £75 for a KSLI BWM on ebay last year. I've been offered close to £200! Not even a first day Somme casualty, but one of only two KSLI men buried in Singapore. Needless to say it's a keeper.

Neil

Nice to have the support and not get castigated for paying "over the odds" for them. Even my wife is pleased I have them. :thumbsup: As Ian says I now (well will have tomorrow) have "that" item.

A very good question and one I am pondering myself. Re your paying over the odds......no you havenot. You wont ever regret and inevitably with time you will get your money and more back plus have the honour and pleasure of looking after them and remembering the original recipient. Good on you and well done. You deserve them more than anyone else

TT

Any medal or medals are worth what the buyer will pay. I saw a BM/VM pair to an o/r ASC survivor in an "antiques & collectables" shop on Monday. The asking price was £35.

Also on display were two o/r casualty trios, infantry regiments, no significant d.o.d., both with "research" papers and death plaques. One at £185 and one at £235.

Also had a GS medal with "Malaya" bar for £125 and an Operation Tellic medal for £250. Pays your money and takes your choice as the saying goes.

I hark back to the good old days when you would wait for a catalogue through the door and rush through the trios and pairs to see if you recognised anyone, on some lists there would be hundreds of them, then straight on the phone to the dealer, not quite believing he wouldn't take orders before 10am 2 days after the lists went out....£7.50 for a pair up to £15 for a trio, fiver for a plaque, 30 quid for an MM on its own. My favourite dealer was Fred Walland.

Worth the extra if that's what you collect

You paid 10 pounds over the standard price for a pair to infantry of the line.

If relevant newspaper articles were published on this gentlemen and you are able to find them...........you will get your money back with no issues from a dealer.

Purchase was a no brainer in my opinion. Well done.

I've bought cheaply, and I've bought dearly. You just have to even it all out in your mind. Things that seemed horrendously expensive at the time now seem reasonable, even cheap in some cases. One sometimes feels a bit nervy at the time, but that soon settles down and then you start to enjoy the fine piece you have bought. In many years of collecting, I've sometimes kicked myself later at not shelling out for something overpriced, but have never once regretted paying over the odds for something good. Rest assured that you have done the right thing.

I am not a medal collector but would echo Wainfleet's sentiments. I have often kicked myself for not buying.. but never for buying, even when the article turned out to be not quite what I hoped.

Then again, I probably would wouldn't I? Today I got into an eBay bidding war for a 14-15star and VM (no BWM) because they came with a couple of photos of the recipient and a wartime picture of 1/4th Gordons Sgts, ....I paid considerably more than the amounts being discussed here!

I hope when I have the items in hand they prove to be worth it!

Chris

Have you paid 800 quid for a victory medal? (Lt Yorkshire Regt casualty) I still don't understand why the under-bidder wanted it nearly as much as I did and he seemed legit.

"£800 for a victory medal..."

If it was my grandads, and I didn't own it, and it was for sale, I would pay it.

Regards

Ian

Appreciate that medals are worth what one is prepared to pay if one desires them enough

Says it all. I have paid over the odds before.....and also got bargains aswell.

Prices on the up? I see it the other way at present with pairs going for under £40 to collectable line regiments and trios which were going for £95 now going for £85. Those "extra special" groups to Pals Bns are still holding their own.

Think you are correct in your first post , medals are worth what you are prepared to pay for them. Its not all about what thay are worth. As far as paying over the top i think long term collectors of ww1 pairs or trios will not loose out in the long run , have a 1977 catalouge sitting in front of me BWM £3.50 VM £0.75 1914 star with bar £8 1914-15 star £1.50 .

Wish i had spent my pocket money a little wiser as a kid.......... like us all

Think the collection of medals from local men is a very honourable collection to put together, i have a couple of local groups the connection seems to be closer to the heart i suppose its because we are familiar with the recipients surroundings.