Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

6th Battalion Leicestershire Regiment 1918

Penny Taylor

I have just joined the Forum today to see if anyone can help me with my research into my Great Uncle, 2nd Lieutenant Norman Scott Hoggarth. This is what I've found out so far. He enlisted in October 1914, and gained his commission in December 1916. i think his grade was a temporary commission as it says TP 2nd Lt. on the London Gazette entry. I have a copy of his original enlistment papers as well and a photo which I suspect was taken following his commission as it looks like an officer's uniform to me.

He served with the 6th Battalion from then until he was wounded on 21st March 1918 at the Battle of Epehy. He led 'No. 6 and the rest' (quotes from the letter his Captain sent to his widow) after 'shelling with mustard gas and smoke shells started at 3.45am' and he and his men fought held the position until 'B company and headquarters' arrived later in the day. Apparently it was a really foggy day, and visibility was poor. His two stretcher bearers were both killed trying to bring him back to British lines, and he received further wounds while lying out on the battlefield. He was taken prisoner as the British retreated on 22nd March, and ended up in Niederzwehren POW camp in Cassel, Germany. We know he was reported as having 'died of wounds' on 30 May 1918, and that he is buried in the cemetery at Niederzwehren, but family history tells us that he actually contracted pneumonia at the camp and that this was what actually caused his death.

What I wondered was (1) whether there are any other records of what happened to 6th Battalion on 21st March at Epehy - is there a Battalion war diary? (2) what does the statement that he 'led No. 6 and the rest' mean - is that a platoon?....I'm not from a military background so I don't know how to interpret it and the original letter is long since gone so I only have the snippets that were published in a newspaper article at the time, and (3) does anyone know whether there are any records of life at Niederzwehren in 1918 - hospital records, or perhaps records kept by the senior British officers at the camp. Pre-Geneva Convention, I assume it wasn't pleasant, and conditions and treatment of the soldiers must have been grim. I'd also be really interested in finding out more about the Battalion's involvement at Ypres, Paschendale and the earlier Battle of the Somme, especially if my Great Uncle is mentioned by name (that's probably a long shot) . It seems to me that my Great Uncle must have been a very brave man to have fought through all of those major encounters and survived for so long, only to be wounded on the first day of that major German offensive.

I have uploaded a photo of my Great Uncle.post-104363-0-68889100-1385420671_thumb.

Penny

Penny My Grandfather Sjt W Ellis was in the 7th battn Leicesters and was wounded in the defensive Battle of Epehy March 1918 during the German Spring offensive and was awarded the DCM . Try and get a copy of Matthew Richardsons "The Tigers " a history of the 6th , 7th , 8th & 9th battns which will give you a great insight of your Great Uncles service.

I have copies of the war diary for this period.

"Lew" will no doubt spot this post and provide you with information

"No. 6" would be No. 6 platoon in all probability. There were four companies in a battalion (200+ men each at full strength) usually labelled "A", "B", "C" and "D" split into four platoons each - 1, 2, 3 & 4 in "A" Company, 5, 6, 7 and 8 in "B" Company, etc. Each platoon would normally be led by a "sub-altern" officer (a Second Lieutenant or Lieutenant) and a Sergeant. A Captain (or Major in certain cases early in the war) would command the Company.

Your great-uncle should have an officers file at the National Archives (a physical file, not online) that should add further information. There is usually correspondence on these files relating to the death of the officer.

Steve.

Many thanks. That's really helpful. I have ordered the book and am planning a trip to the National Archives!

Penny

Penny His medal index card is available to download from the NA

I have photos from Epehy , which I visited in Sept 2011, if you want copies

Well done Llew

That would be great. My 13 year old son is visiting the area on a school trip in February, hence our renewed interest in finding out more about my Great Uncle. I doubt James will take any decent photos, so if you're willing to share yours I'd be really interested in seeing them. Having read Llew's War Diary information and 'The Tigers', and sundry other online resources, I'm just about getting a picture of what happened, and where Norman and No.6 Platoon would have been in the fighting. Some pictures would help.

There is a good account of the Battle of Epehy with some first-hand accounts, at this website:http://www.scarboroughsmaritimeheritage.org.uk/greatwar/s22-january-1918.php

I'm also awaiting a copy of his officers file which I ordered from the National Archives. I managed to find an online version of his 'other ranks' file - from enlistment in November 1914 into the Tyne Electrical Engineers to his move to the OTC at Balliol College where he gained his commission. I know which vaccinations he had, how tall he was and his chest size! I also found another London Gazette entry which gave his name with 5 other 2nd Lieutenants who gained their commission on 19 December 1916 and entered the Leicestershire Regiment . They were: N. S. Hoggarth., F. H. Carr, L. H Willson, A. N. Choyce, A. Collins, and F. D. S. Bales. Do you (does anyone) know if there are separate records from the OTC, or would they be on his officer file?

Best wishes

Penny

Penny Photos of Epehypost-84374-0-83112300-1385722406_thumb.jpost-84374-0-19734700-1385722426_thumb.jpost-84374-0-47598900-1385722446_thumb.jpost-84374-0-33078200-1385722464_thumb.jpost-84374-0-95747100-1385722483_thumb.jpost-84374-0-20490400-1385722502_thumb.jpost-84374-0-35177100-1385722523_thumb.jpost-84374-0-41240500-1385722538_thumb.j

They are - Cullen Post , view from Epehy of Thrush and Linnet Valleys , Morgan Post , another view , headstones in Epehy Wood Farm cemetery

Also try and get a copy of "Epehy" by K Mitchinson

Edited by Ellis1918

Brilliant. Somehow the headstones without names really bring the nature of the encounter home.

Best wishes

Penny

I was in Epehy about 4 weeks ago. I'm afraid to say the view from Epehy out over the valley has changed forever. This photo was taken from the cemetery.

They have built wind turbines all over the place:

post-102928-0-85493100-1385741056_thumb.