The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

I'm travelling to Ypres between XMas and New Year

Deerhunter

Hi

Don't forget that a lot of the museums are closed Monday to

Dave

HI,

Don't know in Ypres but if ever you come to the Somme all the museums and visitors centers are closed during this period !

Apart the cemeteries you won't see anything else...

Sly

I went about 5 years ago over the same period.......getting something to eat New Years Eve in Ypres I found quite difficult, especially now poppies has gone, however the upside is you have most of the cemeteries and other non- chargeable places to yourself , to stand at Tyne Cot on a frosty morn and be the only one there I found very atmospheric, if you do your homework properly as you probably know, you don,t need to visit museums etc..........Colin

I couldn't agree more with Colin, particularly about Tyne Cot. . Forget about Museums, and enjoy one of the few chances of seeing the cemeteries and memorials in relative tranquility. And hope for good weather!

Thanks, all.

I've been to a great number of the museums already and just wanted to get away for a few days. Looks like it might be the right time to go to get a bit of peace and quiet.

Thanks again!

DH

... to stand at Tyne Cot on a frosty morn and be the only one there I found very atmospheric, ...

Tyne Cot, three years ago. Early morning. Cold, damp, quiet - very, very, quiet.

post-108-0-36173000-1385419149_thumb.jpg

Tom