Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1/6th Northumberland Fusiliers

sawdust

An elderly neighbour of mine is trying to find out how both his uncles (Thomas W Errington and John C Errington) died during the months of March and August 1916. They both served with the 1/6th Battalion of the Northumberland Fusiliers. I suggested he visit the Museum but he is quite elderly and not in a position to do so. I wondered if anyone has access to the pages of the War Diary that I could show him the details - he would be very appreciative.

I do have the War Diary at home, but sadly I work overseas and therefore can't get you the required extracts. I do have a little bit of information regarding the two brothers which may be of interest;-

6/2428 Pte Thomas William Errington, 1/6th Bn, Northumberland Fusiliers - residing 11 Springfield, North Shields - enlisted 14th September 1914 and was wounded on the 26th April 1915. On recovery continued to serve with the Battalion until KIA 12th March 1916.

6/5587 L/Cpl John Catterall Errington, 1/6th Bn, Northumberland Fusiliers - also residing 11 Springfield, North Shields - enlisted end of 1915, beginning of 1916, and was KIA 13th August 1916, some five months after his brothers death.

Apologies for not being able to tell you a lot more, but as previously mentioned I work away from home.

Morning

I can help with March 1916

March 8th 1916
The Battalion was relieved by the 5th Northumberland Fus in trenches 37 L. 37 L.S. & R7 LARCHWOOD Dugouts, 47, 48. GLASGOW CROSS, x trench & LEICESTER SQUARE.
Very quiet relief completed at 9.45p.m.
The Battn then relieved the 7th Northumberland Fusiliers in Trenches 49 - A3 inclusive.
First relief completed at midnight. - - - - - -

March 9th 1916
- - - - - -Enemy sniping brisk, otherwise a quiet day. The trenches were very wet & the weather intensely cold.

March 10th 1916
The day passed quietly. At 6 p.m. we fired on a machine gun emplacement with 60, 33 & 4 lb bombs.
Grenadiers & Lewis gunners also joined in.
The enemy replied with "whizz-bangs & 5.9 crumps.
2nd Lt Groves went to a course at POPERINGHE on "German words of command" on March the 8th & returned to Co today.

March 11th
Morning was quiet until 1 p.m. when enemy fired on support trenches & BHQ with 5.9 crumps & 'woolly-bears'
We had 2 killed & 5 wounded

March 12th 1916
Day passed quietly. Snow melted, necessitating continuous pumping.
1 officer & 50 men supplied to Pioneers (7th DLI) every night for work on 50 A supportds.
1 officer & 40 men under RE to work on ZILLEBEKE SWITCH.

Regards,

Graeme

• 1 month later...

I am trying to find information on Private Ernest George Thomas Honey who transferred to the 1/6 NF from the 17th
(Service) Battalion on 27 September 1917 and was wounded and sent home at some point after this.

Probably a long shot but might the war diaries provide any clues about when and where he was wounded?

• 2 years later...
On 22 November 2013 at 20:52, sawdust said:

An elderly neighbour of mine is trying to find out how both his uncles (Thomas W Errington and John C Errington) died during the months of March and August 1916. They both served with the 1/6th Battalion of the Northumberland Fusiliers. I suggested he visit the Museum but he is quite elderly and not in a position to do so. I wondered if anyone has access to the pages of the War Diary that I could show him the details - he would be very appreciative.

Hi I'm interested in your neighbour ,he must be a relative of mine ,if he's still alive ,would you pass on my details to him ,as I'd love to get in touch .am very interested in The Errington boys .

Regards David .