Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Frederick Edward Tunstall - Royal Horse Artillery

Francisco

Hi, could anyone please help me find out if the following person had a service record:

Frederick Edward Tunstall - Royal Horse Artillery

Born: 28th May 1897 in Newcastle under Lyme, Staffs

Died: July 1971 in Boston, Lincs

Joined the Royal Horse Artillery in 1915 - demobbed in 1919 and went on to play football for Sheffield United & England

Any info would be gratefully appreciated

Thank you in advance

Could this be 618391 Fred Tunstall. Probably enlisted in West Riding RHA but transferred to Hants RHA in April 1916. Quite a few near this number appear to serve in 298th Army Brigade RFA. If you look at 618388 Fred Mitchell he died with "A" Bty. 298th Army Bde on August 22, 1918. A number given someone to Hants RHA in January 1917 but actually from Greasborough, Rotherham. The reason for the transfers in 1916 was because 2/1st Hants RHA were sent to Ireland.

Thanks for your info David.

I will be totally honest and say that I know nothing about The Great War but I will follow and search the info you have kindly given me. I am currently researching Fred's football career. Apparently he didnt play much football UNTIL he joined the Royal Horse Artillery ?

Thanks again for your info

According to Sheffield United Who's Who [Clarebrough & Kirkham] His parents moved from Staffordshire to Low Valley, Darfield when Fred was a child. Fred was a miner at Houghton Main Colliery before he joined the Royal Horse Artillery in 1915

Oops, sorry, should have checked, imagine Wiki being wrong !

FreeBMD has Frederick Tunstall born Apr - June 1897 in Newcastle-under-Lyme, Staffordshire.

Good luck with your research.

Ken

Thanks Wulston but Im pretty sure this is a different Fred Tunstall. I have no knowledge if Fred had a brother or not but the family moved to Darfield when Fred was a child

Thanks again though

Have you checked the MIC details for how many Fred Or Frederick Tunstall's there are who served with the RFA ?

I dont know what MIC means Wulsten, I have no access to Ancenstry or any other WW1 site [apart from this one]

Im researching Fred's football career, I read that he had enlisted into the RHA in 1915 so I thought I would check on here to see if anyone could give me any details. I honestly know nothing about researching his military career. I wish I could afford to join ancestry, but Im afraid I cant.

I could tell you anything you wanted to know about his football career but Im a real novice with anything to do with WW1

Thanks for your reply Wulsten

You might be lucky. The Medal Index Cards show only one Fred Tunstall in the RHA or RFA a Driver, as below. There are 3 Freds and one Frederick in the RGA.

Name: Fred Tunstall Regiment or Corps: Royal Horse Artillery Regimental Number: 618391

John

Brilliant thank you John. That ties up with what David suggested earlier

MIC = Medal Index Cards, Im getting there chaps !!

Thanks again John

But then again have checked the address in the photograph posted earlier and that refers to:

Name: Frederick Tunstall Estimated Birth Year: abt 1897 Age at Enlistment: 18 Residence: 42 Wilson Street, Newcastle Staffs Document Year: 1915 Regimental Number: 74488 Regiment Name: Royal Regt of Arty (Royal Garrn Arty) Number of images: 2

So I thin the man in the photograph isn't your Fred Tunstall, but will have a look at the record later to see if there is any link.

John

No link with the RGA man. His DoB is 25/3/1897. He gives his trade as Labourer in 1921, when reenlisting in the Territorial Army.

John

Thanks for that John.

I have a football photograph of Fred, there is no resemblance to the photo posted by Wulsten

, but thank you for checking for any links