Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

A W Steer from Bath

Adam Llewellyn

Good Day All,

I've been rather lucky today, in that a local man has given me a couple of items from his collection that he had more than one of. The first item is a Counsel & Comfort for Soldiers & Sailors on Active Service booklet 1914-18 with a 1918 calendar on the back cover. The second item is a Active Service, New Testament, Bible 1914-15 and there is a name and address on the inside cover, so I thought I'd try and get some information on the original owner. There is no rank or service number shown and I'm just assuming that it would be a surving service man/women.

The details are as follows,

A W. Steer

1, Mayesfield Park,

Wells Road,

Bath.

I've searched for medal index cards and have two possibles with both initials, but realise that it could just be under one. I was hoping somebody may have do some work on Bath and help with my request?

Regards.

Llew.

Llew

I think you may have mis read the address, I believe it should be 1 Hayesfield Park, Bath my 1950 edition of Kellys shows a Joseph Steer living at the address.

There is no Mayesfield Park in Kellys

Malcolm

In 1911 there is a Joseph Steer living at 1, Hayesfield Bath. However he and his wife Florence had been married for 6 years with 3 children born alive - all daughters.

Joseph was a carpenter, aged 44 and his wife was aged 32.

Is the address in the 1950 Kellys actually a business address i.e. still a carpentry workshop?

Just a thought.

Malcolm,

You are right sir, Hayesfield it is.

Thinking about it, it could be a child, under the name and address it does say, if lost, Reward 1/4 d, would that be a Farthing?

Thanks for the replies.

Llew.

AWs Grandad (Joseph too,from Winsford Som.)had two brothers so it may be that if they had sons the Bible might have belonged there ?

There were Steers living at No 2 Hayesfield Park as well, Vincent and Harriet Matilda. I don't know whether they had sons because i'm too cheap to pay for Ancestry.

I'm sticking with the Bible being given to Archie by a serving relation as a keepsake.

Many thanks to everyone for the input, nothing wrong with being cheap IPT. :whistle:

Regards.

Llew.