Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Sergeant Horsfield 16the Lancashire Fusiliers

Old Tom

I have been given a prismatic compass and the name on the case is that of Sgt Horsfield and the case is dated 1918. I would be grateful if anyone can let me know of anything about this NCO. I have posted a similar note on the Formations and Units fora.

Old Tom

12140 Sgt Ernest Horsfield born 1896 address 12 Durham St Pendleton Salford 16th L/Fs badly damaged papers on Ancestry service records. Ralph.

I never cease to be amazed at the information available on the forum. Very many thanks.

It was given to me by my son who obtained it via ebay with the information that it was most recently owned by a Captain P Hampson of the Royal Artillery who served 1944 to 1974. Hampson originally enlisted during WW11 as a Private (number 2088774) and later promoted to Captain.

He acquired the compass from his father (assumed to be) Fred Hampson, originally a Private in the RAMC (WW1) and later promoted to Lieutenant. Both were Masons, (which may have had a bearing on their the promotions) and both past Presidents of the Buxton Rotary Club.

Old Tom

Thanks again for the information on Sgt Hampson 16 LF. Is it possible to enlarge? I wonder if he was wounded and what his job was in 1918, platoon sergeant?

Old Tom

Is it the information in the records you need enlarging ? He was promoted to sgt in January 1918 in place of someone named Smith. Records don't show if he was wounded as far as I can tell. Ralph.

Ralph. That is helpful thank you. I have no experience of researching individual soldiers, but have become interested in this man since finding his name as mentioned above. Do the records show when he enlisted.

Old Tom

Old Tom. Not a lot on the couple of pages that have survived for him, just to add he enlisted Salford 29 10 1914 promoted L/cpl July 1916. Ralph.

Ralph, Thanks again, it does give a overview of this soldier. Perhaps he bought/was issued with the compass when he was promoted to sgt. Incidentally I like your forum name, I might change mine to igeed.

Old Tom

Cheers mate, extension of my initials RJD always called that at work by my long serving colleague Keith or JK as I called him.