Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Absent Voters - STROUD

stuart rowles

I have just found out the the 1918 Absent Voters List for the Stroud, Gloucestershire Division is an alphabetical list.

If anyone needs to look at this list it is held at the Gloucestershire Records Office.

If anyone looks at this list would you please send me the entries for the name ROWLES.

Thank you.

I am there next week and can have a look unless someone beats me too it.

Hi Simon2

A big ask, I know, but if you have the time and are able to, I would be extremely grateful if you could check out a George Edward Hill (b.1885'ish) who in 1911 resided at The Green. Tetbury. I'm really struggling to get any info on him (Regiment not known and there are no service clues on Ancestry etc.).

Many thanks,

Andy.

I am there next week and can have a look unless someone beats me too it.

Hi Simon2

A big ask, I know, but if you have the time and are able to, I would be extremely grateful if you could check out a George Edward Hill (b.1885'ish) who in 1911 resided at The Green. Tetbury. I'm really struggling to get any info on him (Regiment not known and there are no service clues on Ancestry etc.).

Many thanks,

Andy.

Couldn't get the quote option to work properly :closedeyes:

Andy, made a note.

Rolloman, no probs.

• 2 weeks later...

Rolloman & Andy,

I haven't forgotten.

With work commitments last week I didn't manage to find the time to get

down there, even though I live five minutes away !!

First part of this week without fail.

Simon.

Simon, when you see it could you let us know the size of the list (in pages) and whether it can be photographed? It would be useful for future reference.

I know the electoral registers where the 'A' voters are notated are in book form but

only up until 1916. 1916 - 19 are on microfiche. I will give you a breakdown of exactly

what it consists of.

• 2 weeks later...

It's been much longer than expected so apologies for that.

Rolloman in you OP when you mentioned the Stroud AVL list I assumed, but did not

check, whether you required 'ROWLES' listed in Stroud (Town) or Stroud (District).

I checked Stroud District as this covers a wide area and had a couple of hits. The lists

are in alphabetical order as per parish,supplementary lists but info is scant.

'ROWLES' was more common than expected.

I will list only the names noted as on Naval/Military service. There are other 'ROWLES'

listed (civilians) some that I could link to a NM whether shown with that other occupier or

on a supplementary list. If you want those as well let me know.

DOUGLAS JAMES ROWLES -- France Lynch,Parish of Chalford.

ERNEST JOHN ROWLES -- Hill,Parish of Chalford.

GEORGE HENRY ROWLES -- '' '' '' ''

RICHARD ROWLES -- Blenheim House, Parish of Frampton-on-Severn.

HENRY ROWLES -- Royal Arch Villas, Parish of Fretherne-with-Saul.

LEONARD CHARLES ALLAN ROWLES -- The Firs, Parish of Wotton St.Mary, Wotton-under-Edge.

The info above is exactly what is on microfiche from Stroud District, 1918 electoral books. In time I will

replace with a photo as the ones I tried to take were poor as I could only photo the screen and could

not print anything off unlike with microfilm.

--------------------------

Andy I checked the books for 1914,1915 and 1916 for Tetbury with the name and address but had no luck.

Next time I will check 1917 + 1918 as they were out. The only two hits in Tetbury were :-

CHARLES HILL -- New Church Street, Tetbury

CHARLES EDWARD HILL -- Long Street, Tetbury.

Both show up in all three books with no change of address. Unfortunately there should be a supplementary list

which has been lost. Next time I will expand my search to surrounding districts.

-------------------------

Chris,

The registers differ depending on District and year. Most are in book form up until 1916 - 17 and then change to

microfiche. The book registers are easy too photo but are split into County Districts and can be 3 - 500 pages in

each book. The biggest issue is that in general all voters who were absent for Military reasons were added to

supplementary lists rather than included in each residence. At some point between then and now the supp.lists

were removed to be catalogued separately and have been mislaid. Some are included in the actual residence but

not often and then (cannot get it confirmed) they may have been at home at the time of registering. The supp.lists

I believe were for personnel away from home. Obviously this would cut down on man hours copying but obviously

each would still have to be checked.

Cheltenham Borough -- held at Cheltenham Family History Centre.

Cotswold District

Forest of Dean

Gloucester City

Stroud District

Tewkesbury Borough

For example Gloucester City District 1914 - 2 books @200 pages each, Stroud District 1915 -- 1 book

@465 pages. The problem is microfiche. Even with filters and flash off the photos come out poor. I will think of a

way to overcome this. It is a worthwhile project which I can take a look at in the New year and work out how long it

would take and what is the best format for copying etc.

Hi Simon

Many thanks for the above list of ROWLES.

It is very much appreciated. This list is extremely useful for my project.

You offer to take a photo of the entries at some point.

The only ones I would like further info such as who else was living at that address

is the 2 men living at Hill, Chalford. They are Ernest John Rowles and George Henry Rowles.

I have all I need for the others.

Thank you so much.