Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Identity Disc religious designations

CROONAERT

Was the designation 'OD' (other denomination) in use during WW1 or is that a later thing?

Peter B

I have mostly seen it on Second War Canadian discs, in one case possibly to hide the Jewish beliefs of an RCAF officer. I have also seen MEN[nonite] on a Second War disc, despite the fact that they are conscientious objectors. Whether it was used 1914-18, I don't know.

Canadian discs seem to have continued to use CE until relatively modern times.

Michael

• 2 years later...

Just with reference to welsh ID discs ( and i apologise if this has already been said) many of my family members have N.C (non conformist) on their I'D discs, was this possibly due to the many variations of denomination in Wales e.g Welsh Baptist etc?

• 2 years later...
On 01/12/2013 at 22:11, jon_armstrong said:

Unitarian is 100% correct.

Hello Jon.  Many thanks for this.  It's puzzled me for a long time and it looks as though you have the answer I'e been hunting  My 1970's discs had "UN" for Unitarian and I long suspected that WW1 Discs belonging to my (Unitarian) Grandfather might have something like this or "NON CONF" (or "NC" "N/C" variations).  Would you have any other details regarding the particular disc you saw with the "U" on as the owner may be one of the group I'm looking out for.  Regards and thanks.  Ian.

Edited by TullochArd