Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

War Diary - 9th Battalion, Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers

hen190782

Good Morning

Hoping that a member will have access to the War Diary for 9th Battalion, Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers, in particular I am interested in one man who I am researching for a relative:

Private (S/N 22622) John Breadon

Enlistment Date: 04/11/1914

To France: 05/10/1915

Discharged: 29/08/1916 (Silver War Badge No 150836)

According to family tradition, John Breadon was Mentioned in Despatches for rescuing his wounded commanding officer and that the officer received the Victoria Cross.

The only VC awarded to an officer of the 9th Battalion, Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers was Captain Eric Norman Frankland Bell (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eric_Norman_Frankland_Bell), who was killed in the action for which the VC was awarded. Of course, it is possible that the incident in the family's tradition relates to an earlier episode and the VC-winning incident has been associated with the earlier incident.

Bit of a long-shot, but it would be great if someone could turn up the Battalion War Diary relating to John Breadon's MID.

Thanks,

Nigel

Nigel,

Lt James Emerson also won the VC with the 9th, he was killed in action and there is mention of other men being with him during the actions which won him the VC.

I haven't looked at the war diary. Perhaps there is something in Bill Cannings book 'wheen o medals'.

Rob

Rob

Thanks for that, he was not included on the website that came up when I googled VC with "inniskilling fusiliers".

Will check Canning's book.

Nigel

Nigel

A quick scan of the war diary for 1st July doesn't bring any mention of Bell's VC; nor are there any awards mentioned in the couple of months after. I also can't find an MiD in the London Gazette for his Breadon or his service number.

If you can find this it may be easier to identify when in the diary to look.

Kind regards

Colin

Colin and Andy

Apologies for the delay in replying.

Surprised that there is no mention of Bell's VC!

I could not find mention in LG either!

It is beginning to look like this is a family tradition were a verbal commendation has grown to be a formal commendation.

Thanks,

Nigel