Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Soldiers from Colesbourne,Glos

Pamsnest

Hello and welcome!

Don't be shy and let us know precisely what you need and we'll see what we can do.

If you're asking for further information, then I assume you already have the CWGC information....

A quick search of the CWGC database turns up 4 with an address of Colesbourne

MILES, WALLACE ERNEST RALPH. Rank: Private. Service No: 15393. Date of Death: 27/10/1918. Age: 25.
Regiment/Service: Gloucestershire Regiment. 9th Bn.
Grave Reference: I. C. 1. Cemetery: PREMONT BRITISH CEMETERY
Additional Information: Son of Mary Miles, of Colesbourne, Glos., and the late James Ralph Miles.
SMITH, ARTHUR ERNEST. Rank: Private. Service No: 20724. Date of Death: 18/10/1918. Age: 29.
Regiment/Service: Gloucestershire Regiment. 8th Bn.
Grave Reference: A. 5. Cemetery: MARPENT COMMUNAL CEMETERY
Additional Information: Son of George and Elizabeth Smith, of Colesbourne, Glos.
BRUNSDON, WILLIAM JESSE PREW. Rank: Corporal. Service No: 5614. Date of Death: 10/02/1915. Age: 26.
Regiment/Service: 6th Dragoons (Inniskilling). "A" Sqdn.
Panel Reference: Panel 1. Memorial: LE TOURET MEMORIAL
Additional Information: Son of William John and Mary Ann Brunsdon, of 3, Park Terrace, Colesbourne, Glos.
MEREDITH, HARRY. Rank: Private. Service No: 5612. Date of Death: 13/05/1915. Age: 24.
Regiment/Service: 6th Dragoons (Inniskilling).
Panel Reference: Panel 1. Memorial: LE TOURET MEMORIAL
Additional Information: Son of Thomas and Alice Meredith, of Colesbourne, Cheltenham, Glos.
These don't quite match your Names of
John Smith (any more details, parents, DoB etc as there may be a "few" to sift through!)
Charles Miles and
Alfred Edwards
but I'm sure we can find some more, if you tell us what you have already and any other Names from Colesbourne
showing these 12 men:-
Jesse Brunsdon
Alfred Edwards
Hubert Hall
W P Hicks
Harry Meredith
Charles Miles
Wallace Miles
William Pinchin
Frederick Reynolds
A Ernest Smith
James Smith and
John Smith

Yes, sorry IPT, After I posted I Googled for the Memorial which gave me the Names.

When I amended it didn't show anyone else had posted, so I didn't know you had posted so didn't show it as an edit.

Slapdash but Mrs Axe was impatient to get to the shops (for once!)

EDIT:

This might be your chap, but looks to have a Bristol connection....

HICKS, W. Rank: Private. Service No: 7291. Date of Death: 29/10/1914.
Regiment/Service: Gloucestershire Regiment. 1st Bn.
Grave Reference: XV. B. 8. Cemetery: HARLEBEKE NEW BRITISH CEMETERY
Name: William Hicks. Birth Place: St. Phillip's, Bristol. Death Date: 29 Oct 1914. Death Location: France & Flanders. Enlistment Location: Bristol.
Rank: Private. Regiment: Gloucestershire Regiment. Battalion: 1st Battalion. Number: 7291. Type of Casualty: Killed in action.
Theatre of War: Western European Theatre.
whereas this chap fits the initials:-
Name: William Percival Hicks. Date of Registration: Oct-Nov-Dec 1896. Registration District: Cirencester, Gloucestershire. Volume: 6a. Page: 354.
and Cirencester may have been easier for the family to reach to register his birth....
Name: William Percival Hicks. Birth Place: Cirencester. Death Date: 2 Dec 1917. Death Location: France & Flanders. Enlistment Location: Cheltenham.
Rank: Private. Regiment: Gloucestershire Regiment. Battalion: 2/6th Battalion (Territorials). Number: 23934. Type of Casualty: Killed in action.
but undoubtedly the best source of information would be local.
Does the Church have any records regarding collection of the Names, as erecting Plaques usually needs Diocese permission.
Also local history section in the library, local newspaper archives all might help identify who these men are and their connection to the village.
Looking at Hubert Hall, there is this potential match:-
HALL, H R. Rank: Private. Service No: 5613. Date of Death: 13/05/1915.
Regiment/Service: 2nd Dragoon Guards (Queen's Bays).
Grave Reference: I. A. 13. Cemetery: POTIJZE CHATEAU GROUNDS CEMETERY
and interestingly he died on the same day as another cavalry casualty from the village, Harry Meredith.
There must be a link as to why 2 lads from the same village were killed the same day......?
SMITH, JAMES. Rank: Private. Service No: 8119. Date of Death: 31/10/1914. Age: 28.
Regiment/Service: Gloucestershire Regiment. 1st Bn.
Panel Reference: Panel 22 and 34. Memorial: YPRES (MENIN GATE) MEMORIAL
Additional Information: Husband of Lilian Sarah Smith, of Ware Vicarage, Ash, Canterbury, Kent.
Name: James Smith. Birth Place: Colesbourne, Glos. Death Date: 31 Oct 1914. Death Location: France & Flanders. Enlistment Location: Cheltenham.
Rank: Private. Regiment: Gloucestershire Regiment. Battalion: 1st Battalion. Number: 6119 (NOTE: CWGC shows No as 8119). Type of Casualty: Killed in action.
MILES, A. Rank: Private. Service No: 28991. Date of Death: 06/07/1918.
Regiment/Service: Gloucestershire Regiment. 8th Bn.
Grave Reference: V. F. 2. Cemetery: MARFAUX BRITISH CEMETERY
Name: Alfred Miles. Birth Place: Colesbourne, Glos. Death Date: 6 Jul 1918. Death Location: France & Flanders. Enlistment Location: Cheltenham.
Rank: Private. Regiment: Gloucestershire Regiment. Battalion: 8th Service Battalion. Number: 28991. Type of Casualty: Died of wounds.

Thank you for all the replies. I was asking if anyone knows about these three men as we can't find any information on them. The rest are sorted but John Smith, Charles Miles and Alfred Edwards we can't find who they are.

On,y the end part of my querie seems to have gone through the system. No wonder there was confusion. I'm concerned now to respond but find if I click on quote I get to this point so assume this is the way forward!

I'm grateful for all the replies and all the research done for me.

I still need to look at local papers, but the landowner who has all the paper work pertaining to the village can't find anything on the three men I mentioned, which is why I've been searching.