Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Trench Whistle

stevie1944

I recently purchased a 1916 J Hudson & Co. Trench Whistle and would like to complement it with a period lanyard. How would the whistle have been carried or attached to the uniforms?

I recently purchased a 1916 J Hudson & Co. Trench Whistle and would like to complement it with a period lanyard. How would the whistle have been carried or attached to the uniforms?

stevie1944,

I have seen a Trench Whistle attached to a lanyard worn around the neck, with the whistle attached to the lanyard cord by a metal spring clip.

Also, in the attached photographs from my uniform collection, you will see a Lieutenant's cuff rank jacket from the Gloucestershire Regiment with the Trench Whistle attached to a leather strap which is hung from the uniform breast pocket button.

On the other cuff rank jacket, that of a Captain in the Lancashire Fusiliers, the Trench Whistle is attached to a braided leather cord which is permanently attached to the cross strap of the Sam Brown belt, with the Trench Whistle being retained in a leather pouch which again is attached to the cross strap of the Sam Brown belt.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

LF

post-63666-0-51355600-1385004665_thumb.j

post-63666-0-94767900-1385004680_thumb.j

post-63666-0-71493600-1385004706_thumb.j

stevie1944,

I have seen a Trench Whistle attached to a lanyard worn around the neck, with the whistle attached to the lanyard cord by a metal spring clip.

Also, in the attached photographs from my uniform collection, you will see a Lieutenant's cuff rank jacket from the Gloucestershire Regiment with the Trench Whistle attached to a leather strap which is hung from the uniform breast pocket button.

On the other cuff rank jacket, that of a Captain in the Lancashire Fusiliers, the Trench Whistle is attached to a braided leather cord which is permanently attached to the cross strap of the Sam Brown belt, with the Trench Whistle being retained in a leather pouch which again is attached to the cross strap of the Sam Brown belt.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

LF

LF thank you this is exactly what I was looking for!