Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Yorkshire and East Yorkshire Cap Badges ?

Myrtle

I need some help with identifying some cap badges which are not very clear.

I believe that they are Yorkshire and East Yorkshire. What do you think ?

TIA

post-38-0-96220700-1384995631_thumb.jpg

post-38-0-12648600-1384995654_thumb.jpg

The one on the left looks like The Green Howards, Alexandra Princess of Wales' Own Yorkshire Regiment

Justin H

Thanks Justin.

I have recently found a 1915 photograph of just under 100 officers at Scarborough - Officers School of Instruction with initials and surnames. I am attempting to identify the men by surname and badges. Some are obviously easier than others. Once I have names and regiments I will list on the Forum in case someone would like an individual photograph.

I'll take Stab at the right one and say Devonshire Regiment. It's only a guess though

Justin H

I agree that the one on the left is The Yorkshire Regt., however, I think that the one on the right is more likely to be Army Service Corps.

Robert

I agree that the one on the left is The Yorkshire Regt., however, I think that the one on the right is more likely to be Army Service Corps.

Robert

Robert

Thanks for that. I must admit I thought that it wasn't quite the same as the East Yorks as it doesn't appear to have the scroll at the bottom. It does look more like the ASC but the officer who I believe it belonged to doesn't have ASC listed on his MIC although he does have East Yorks.

Robert

Thanks for that. I must admit I thought that it wasn't quite the same as the East Yorks as it doesn't appear to have the scroll at the bottom. It does look more like the ASC but the officer who I believe it belonged to doesn't have ASC listed on his MIC although he does have East Yorks.

Myrtle,

Is it possibe that there is more than one officer with the name and initials you are looking at? ie one in the East Yorks and one in the ASC--just a thought. If I were at home I could have checked the army list for you--if you leave his name and initials, I can do it when I am back.

Robert

Robert

I have already checked that possibility. However, the East Yorks man may have been with the ASC before he went overseas with the East Yorks.

I'm wondering about these two cap badges. They both look like York & Lancs but the tiger seems to be facing the other way on one of them. The cap badges appear on the same photograph so the negative hasn't been reversed.

post-38-0-71029200-1385160839_thumb.jpg

post-38-0-94208800-1385160856_thumb.jpg

I'm wondering about these two cap badges. They both look like York & Lancs but the tiger seems to be facing the other way on one of them. The cap badges appear on the same photograph so the negative hasn't been reversed.

It's not unheard of - collar badges usually came in symmetrical pairs, and what is possibly the odd "wrong" way facing one ends up used as a cab badge at some point. There is another well known photograph of Bruce Bairnsfather that is the same (clearly not reversed, yet the antelope faces viewers left instead of right):

http://www.todayinliterature.com/assets/portraits/b/bruce-bairnsfather-200x316.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

Definitely not East Yorkshire Regiment! The only time anything that small was worn without the scroll in the cap was late 1945-1947 when beret became popular wear for officers some of whom cut .down their O.S.D. cap badges. The busy scroll style on (not below) the Garter Star seems to me to point to A.S.C. It appears unlikely to be an East Yorkshire Regiment Collar as the O.S.D. ones at this time were the same size and design as the cap badge complete with scroll's (indeed they are nearly always sold as cap badges) it is not an O.R.s collar and the white rose is very apparent on them. The only thing similar would be the cap badge of Hymer's College which are similar but do not have the scroll and again the white rose is very apparent. A similar die was used (if not taken from) the period die of the "fuller" more "rounded" version (not the early "flat" version")of the standard O.R.s cap badge but the bottom edges do not show evidence of scroll removal. How old are these chaps? Could he have come straight from Hymer's College O.T.C.? I still feel it is A.S.C. though. I hope this helps.