Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

help with uniform in photo

Matilda1973

post-89427-0-94109100-1384957316_thumb.j

sorry the photo is so dark its the only copy we have i wondered if anyone could tell anything about the uniform to give me a clue what he did in WW1. he came from Gloucestershire. his name was Nipton. he changed hid last name from ryalls/Ryles to Hurn/Hearn at some point so having trouble tracking him down. the lady stood with him is meant to be his sister many thanks Matilda

Could be Royal Artillery but difficult to be sure. Can you get an enlargement of the cap badge?

Simon

Matilda

Caleb Ryles, Nipton's younger brother was with the 2/4th Gloucestershire Regiment and was killed in action 3rd December 1917.

I take it that they were from a Gypsy family with surnames Hurn/Hearn and Ryles and their address at Elmstone Hardwicke on the 1911 census ?

The sister in the photograph could be Lily who was 10 years younger than Nipton. My husband's grandfather had similar photographs taken of his sister wearing his uniform.

hi, unfortunately i dont have original photo, when ive tryed to enlarge its just fuzzy,on a closer look i think he is wearing spurs, looks like strap around ankle and i know he was a good horseman before and after WW1 thanks

Matilda

Caleb Ryles, Nipton's younger brother was with the 2/4th Gloucestershire Regiment and was killed in action 3rd December 1917.

I take it that they were from a Gypsy family with surnames Hurn/Hearn and Ryles and their address at Elmstone Hardwicke on the 1911 census ?

The sister in the photograph could be Lily who was 10 years younger than Nipton. My husband's grandfather had similar photographs taken of his sister wearing his uniform.

hi Myrtle,

yes thats them, Nipton was husbands g-grandfather, no so little about him thanks

I'd go on a limb and say it's not Gloucetershire Regiment. Artillery looks good to me, too.

Matilda

If you haven't seen them yet, there are papers for another brother called Isaac Ryles on Ancestry. They make very interesting reading. He was with the Gloucestershire Regiment and then transferred to the York and Lancs.

Thanks everyone ,for all your help

the photo looks much better thanks Wendy Mac.

yes Myrtle i have Isaac records records off ancestry, and Caleb medal card and death cert.

thanks agian